Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
Re: ?Dangers of being in a cows field?
    #79987 - 09/13/99 11:13 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

This could be a really fun topic. I'm sure there are many stories.
I have not found any mushrooms (only been out 3 times), but I did find something pretty creepy. It was a bleached horse skeleton that was glowing (like from within) white against the dark, fertile forest floor. It was early morning and I guess the lighting was just right. Beautiful in a way. Right out in the middle of nowhere. I also have encountered turtles and snakes and deer, lots of spider webs (and of course COWS!). I think cows are very very stupid.

Even if I don't find cubies NE of Atlanta, it's worth the trip for the peace and quiet. I'm going to start looking near the old hay bales for a different kind.

I did hear the farmer's dog, but I just stood perfectly still and I don't think he could see or smell me and lost interest (fortunately).

Try to find a big corner post or gate to climb over, and wear long pants and hiking boots. Here we have long thorny vines that attack you near the roads and fences.

Question: Does pepper spray work on bulls? I know it sure works on dogs. Maybe a trained dog could handle it, but a typical yappy farm dog just freaks out. I carry some in my bike bag, so if I happen to encounter one when I'm climbing a hill (can't outrun 'em there) I can get off quick, hold the bike between me and him and spray the poor sucker in the face. Gawd they hate it! So what do you do with a bull? "Hide" behind a big tree and let him get real close so you can spray him? .... I don't know? I don't ever want to be there. He might get so mad he'd tear the tree down too. Then what!? haha.

[This message has been edited by TriGuy (edited September 14, 1999).]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: ?Dangers of being in a cows field? [Re: TriGuy]
    #79988 - 09/14/99 10:39 AM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Waking up Mr. Farmer is no prob, but the prob is you wondering "is that a gun he has?"

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #79990 - 09/14/99 03:28 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

TriGuy- hehe, funny you should mention pepper spray. After a little incident that left me and a friend stuck up in a bunch of saplings, I don't leave home without it. It does work, but only use it if a cow is about to attack you. Just because they are walking toward you doesn't mean that they want to hurt you.

------------------
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain-- and most fools do.
-Benjamin Franklin

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflinePsychonaut
seeker

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
    #79991 - 09/14/99 11:16 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

First of all, don't worry about bulls - they will give you plenty of warning before they they attack. But it's not very often that bull will run after you.
As far as farmers go, just ask if you can go seaching through thier fields, make up a good lie for wanting to do so. Most farmer get pissed because your on their land without permission, not because your looking for shrooms.
As far as spray goes, get some bear spray - this shit will take down anything!

--------------------
FungusFun.com

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #79992 - 09/15/99 12:23 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Bear spray??? Isn't that when you stand too close to a bear when he's relieving himself?

------------------
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain-- and most fools do.
-Benjamin Franklin

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#79993 - 09/16/99 10:50 AM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Hey people thanks for all yer comments.

THUMPER26: Now I have heard some disturbing stories about shroomers being chased away by farmers with guns, but I think that at the very worst you would get hit by a salt pellet bullet(if your unfortunate enough to get shot at, at all). And I've heard that those suckers REALLY hurt too. :wink:

TRIGUY: You just had to bring up the snake thing didn't you. I dont like snakes. And now I have to add these slimey reptiles to my list of things to further paranoia me when tromping around out there. I don't have a clue what kind of poisinous snakes there are slithering around Southern Florida, so all I can do is hope that I won't have to find out. :smile:

SCLORCH & PSYCHONAUT: I think I'll pass on the spray guys. If by chance such a incident should occur the scariest situation for myself would be: If I just froze in my tracks too scared to move out of the way. So I try to keep my distance with those buggers nowadays. The scenario described in my first entry posted is this: I was walking straight down the middle of the field,,, to my left was the herd,,, and to my right was the bull(all by himself),,, I didn't see him til' he started puttin' up a fuss.

LESSONS LEARNED: 1) Don't walk down the center of the fields when those cows are surrounding you from multiple directions. I don't think they much like that. :smile:
2)Stay close to the fences. So If the inevidable should ever happen (100 mad cows running at you) then you'd have your escape route plan devised before-hand. :smile:
3)Give your eyes a little more time to get comfortable and adjust to the dark.

OTHER MENACES: Mosquitoes during the summer months can really ruin a night of otherwise great picking. I personally never use those chemical repellants,,, nope not me, that stuff's fer girls.

ATTIRE: I always wear the same ol' navy-blue, long-sleeve, hooded(hood up) sweatshirt and long,black sweatpants(with no pockets) and a cheap pair of brown shoes(my car key goes in there).

Happy Pickin'z :smile: :smile: :smile:

OfflineZoneSeeker
Stranger
    #79994 - 09/17/99 12:30 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

One of the things I've noticed about Florida is it's abundance of EXTREMELY large arachnids. I don't know what is in the water down there, but I've never seen bugs that size in my life. Another thing that is important is the fact that I have acute arachniphobia! I was in my aunt's field one night (she owns a cow farm :smile: and I was searching the area where I usually found them in the day, which was under a row of trees by the barb fence. Not only was the flashlight damn near useless, because of the inky, liquid darkness, but I must have walked through at least 13 huge spider webs, in the first 10 feet. The only thing I could think of was that earlier in the day I remembered seeing a spider about the size of a coffee cup saucer, all neon green and nasty looking. I had that buggy feeling all over me and I thought that my back was covered with spiders, and since I was already tripping hard balls at the time, my fear was multiplied by 1000. So, when I pointed my light out in front of me, there came into view a very disturbing sight. Approximately 2 feet in front of me, at head level, there was one of the most horrible, evil looking spiders I have seen, to date. Well, I screamed like a little girl, at the top of my lungs, and flew at top speed out into the open field, and stripped off most of my clothes. I abandoned my search, until the next day.
My point is, cows and bulls dont really bother me; nor do farmers and their guns, because you can deal with them in the same manner they plan on taking you out with (Guns. Dont get me wrong, Im not going to shoot a bull or farmer just because they are threatening me. But, if worse came to worst, it COULD be dealt with.) Spiders, and other hell-spawn of the sort, are a lot harder to deal with. Especially, in pitch blackness, and in the grip of paralyzing fear.
I thought I'd relate that story in the spirit of the post. Thanks for reading :smile:

-ZoneSeeker
(GuideZoZo@yahoo.com)

Anonymous

#79995 - 09/17/99 03:23 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

ZONESEEKER: Thanks for your reply. I too have had some wicked encounters with these vile creatures(some too graphic to be posted). And I too have experienced "that buggy feeling all over me". Those rotten little blood suckers just waiting to prey upon foolish insects that fall victim to the hands of their sticky little webs... and their pointy little fangs........ Vampires,,,Vampires I tell you!

ADDITIONAL MENACES: Brown Deer Flies. These ugly little bastards might be the most persistant pests I have ever encountered in the fields(of Florida). They just don't give up. At least not until they bite you. I've had one follow me from the pasture, over the fence, through the forest, across the road, to my car, and yes folks into my car! These suckers are smart. And running from them will only heighten their interests to pursue you.

Offlineamanita
addict
Loc: UK
    #79996 - 09/17/99 05:52 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

I agree insects in cowfields are a menace, especially midges and horesflies here. Thought id drag up a topic on COW experiences from a while back...

http://www.shroomery.org/ubbnoncgi/Forum1/HTML/000878.html

------------------
Amanita

Anonymous

#79997 - 09/17/99 06:18 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

One time I was shrooming in a cow field with one other person about 2:AM and we turned around and saw about 6 cop cars trying to haul ass across the field toward us (with their lights flashing). The damn farmer had called them on us and opened the gate for them to drive out onto the field.
Well, we started running as fast as we could and the ground was so bumpy the cop cars were being tossed around and had to drive slower than we were running. We finally got to the fence and jumped it like we were in the Olympics or something. About 50 yards on the other side of the fence we jumped was a road that we were planning on crossing but just as we got to the edge of the road a friend of mine drove by and picked us up in his car. We looked back as we were driving away and saw all of the cop cars parked along the fence with their spotlights on us. Fuck the law, I want the shrooms and if I don't pick them they will be lost forever (it's worth the risk).

------------------
I am not a human being having a spiritual experience, I am a spiritual being having a human experience.

Anonymous

#79998 - 09/17/99 06:52 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

GGhreatl, I will suggest to you (as i would for any fellow shroomer) LEARN WHAT SNAKES ARE VENOMOUS!!! If the worse case senario does happen and you do get bit by one, the hospital will need know what kind of antivenom to give you. Kinda hard to give you any if all you can tell them is "well it rattled" as in southern florida there are 3 species of rattlesnakes. In all you have to worry with a total of 6 venomous snakes in your area. They are 1 eastern coral snake 2 copperhead 3 cottonmouth(also called water moccasin) 4 eastern diamondback rattlesnake 5 timber rattlesnake 6 pygmy rattlesnake. Here is a link to help you on this http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/1481/flsnakes.html As I said b4, it would be good for any and all shroomers to know the snakes of your area. If you cant find out let me know and Ill try to help you

------------------
"One side will make you big,,the other will make you small" Alice in Wonderland even tripped on shrooms.

Anonymous

#79999 - 09/18/99 10:12 AM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks again for your replies people, they are appreciated.

AMANITA:Insects,.......Ya can't live with 'em,.......Ya can't live without 'em.

SHROOM_WIZARD:Sounds like something from a "Dukes of Hazard" episode. Well that's what your gonna get for huntin' in Hazard County. Ol' Boss Hogg's out to get them Duke Boys again fer trespassin'. ;D

THUMPER26:Hey thanks for coming through for me on this one. It's just what I've looking for. A couple years ago I was hiking in the Apalachicola National Forest and came across something that looked alot like a Copperhead Snake. It was a big-un too(well over 3 feet long!). It didn't rattle at me,,, it didn't even move. I'm not sure who was more scared the snake or me. I was only about ten feet away from it(close enough for it to hear my heart stop), then I just slowly walked backwards and never looked back. I guess he was a friendly serpant, but I'll still never trust anything "...in the shape of a serpant".

Anonymous

#80000 - 09/18/99 10:41 AM (24 years, 6 months ago)

GGhreatl, I'm glad I could help you on this. Now if you think walking up on a 3' copperhead is scary I hope you never even hear the rattle of a rattlesnake. If you do happn to hear one you better stop and look around, because that is the rattlesnakes way of telling you that you are to close.

------------------
"One side will make you big,,the other will make you small" Alice in Wonderland even tripped on shrooms.

Anonymous

#80001 - 09/19/99 12:36 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Farmer encounters can be ridden out, but they're generally unpleasant. I was in field at 6am, foolishly with my 2 labradors off the leash/lead, nose to the ground and hunting shrooms, when the farmer appeared at the corner of the field about 100m away.

An eternity passed as he approached - i felt it wouldn't have been cool to run away.
His opening line was ....

'By heck, lad, by heck, you've got the cheek of Jove.'

that might be alien speak to all you non-brits but it was a great opening line and i gave him much respect for that. He then asked me to get the fuck off his land, and i obliged. Its a loss of face when you are caught, but as long as you wander and close gates and shit like that, then i don't feel bad.

j.

Anonymous

#80002 - 09/19/99 05:25 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Once again, I graciously thank all for their replies.

THUMPER26: I have encountered many a rattlesnakes in my time(fortunately with no incidents) mostly hiking in the Rocky Mountain National. Luckily snakes have an acute sense of hearing. Rattlesnakes do give the warnings but its the poisonous ones without rattles that scare me most. Who knows where those little buggers could be hideing.

JONNY_GOLD:That's a funny story Jonny. I like the "cheek of Jove" part(I guess a witty sense of humor is better than none at all). Also a word of advise, it would be wise of you to not bring your dogs with on any future expeditions, who knows what kind of mischeif they could get themselves, or you for that matter, into.

QUESTION:I am curious as to what some of you shroomers floating around in "cyber-shroom-land" use to store your freshly picked mushy friends in when in the field.?
Personally, I use a black two gallon plastic bucket with handle. I have found that magic mushrooms don't much like being tossed into plastic bags 'cause they get all mashed up and mooshy.
Does anyone have any collection techniques that they would care to share?

Anonymous

#80003 - 09/19/99 05:49 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

GGhreatl, I myself always have a backpack when out looking(got to carry smokes,drinks etc). I carry a few tupperware containers with holes in the lid to keep them from sweating. My only prob is that I tend to start eating them soon as i find them.(rinsed off with water I have in a bottle of corse) :smile: Besides "if" you do have to make a hasty retreat from "Mr. Farmer" its alot easier to get over the fence than having to carry a bucket and loosing your :icons/icon17:

------------------

Anonymous

#80004 - 09/19/99 07:55 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

I just use the plastic grocery store bags that we all have somewhere in our kitchen pantrys. The shrooms do tend to get smashed if they are on the bottom, but that only happens if you are having a large amount of pickings. Some people tend to hook the bags on their belts so their hands will be free to hold the flashlight and pick the shrooms with but as they walk through the field the bag keeps banging on their leg and it ends up smashing all their shrooms.
I take several bags with me which easily fits in my back pocket. When I get a bag full enough so that the bottom shrooms could possibly be smashed by the top ones I just hang the bag on a tree branch, get out another bag and keep on picking.

------------------
I am not a human being having a spiritual experience, I am a spiritual being having a human experience.

Anonymous

#80005 - 09/19/99 08:06 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Shroom-Wizzard So your the one that left the bag of shrooms i found. :smile: :smile: :smile:

------------------

Anonymous

#80006 - 09/20/99 10:23 AM (24 years, 6 months ago)

THUMPER26 & SHROOM_WIZARD: I appreciate the tips. I've felt the need to improve on my collection techniques for some time now. I'm always searching for more efficient ways of collecting with the LEAST amount of damage possible......I don't know, call me cR@zY! :wink:

I have always found that collecting mushrooms in the wild is much more rewarding (and healthier), both spiritually and physically, than just buying from some square dealer. De Mother Eart' es meh supplier. So I try to show the shroom the respect that they deserve. In return they thank me back.

VARIOUS REACTIONS UPON DISCOVERY:

Some things that I will commonly say(in a quiet whisper) when I find a nice tasty looking cluster of Cube's before I pull them up, go as follows:
"God Bless America"
"Well hello there,,, I'm going to take you home with me"
"Theres a creature in the pasture"(this one must be said in a crackly voice)(inside joke)
"Ohhhh, thank God, your some big ones aren't you"(ususally the rest of this convesation with the shrooms will take place in my head for this one) :smile:
--->Please submit your reactions on this one for me.{I'm curious}<---

I feel this is an important part of finding magic mushrooms. They really do appreciate it too, I can tell. 'Cause If you think about it,,, you'd be happy to hear someones voice too if the only conversation you had all day long was with a COW. :wink:

MoOOOOOoooo.

Anonymous

#80007 - 09/19/99 11:14 PM (24 years, 6 months ago)

Usually when I go out shroom picking I am not alone. I have visitors here from all over the country almost every week to meet with me, learn some things from me and go on a "Shroom Safari" hunt with me. I have been picking these magical babies here in N/E Florida since 1968 and I have amassed a lot of knowledge in that time that I freely share with others.
Anyway, when I find a beautiful cluster of large shrooms I call over whoever is out shroom picking with me and let them see it so that it will give them the desire to keep looking with the hopes that they might find a larger cluster. Then I take a picture of it because I always carry my camera with me when I go shroom picking so I can add more pictures to my collection when I run into those beautiful finds.

------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate