Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
possible reishi?
    #7980115 -

top:




underneath:






these are completely dry:




I found these in north Texas, out in the country, growing on a dead and decaying tree trunk. Lately, the weather has been chilly, ranging from 40-high 60s F. I'm not positve, but it seems to be humid lately, a few light showers, morning dews.

The tops are smooth and hard with a dark amber color. The under side is spongy but still firm, creamy white in color, I found a few with brownish undersides, these were mainly the dried out ones. The fresh ones are very tough, it took a lot of power to rip one in half, or even off of the tree. The dried are very tough as well, almost like dried wood. The smell of the fresh ones resemble fresh culinary mushrooms, I find it pleasant, strong mushroom smell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: Divinatory]
    #7980262 -

Divinatory, there are a ton of different polypore mushrooms in the world. none of them are poisonous, or at least very very very low toxicity levels. and many (if not all?) have some form of medicinal properties or usefulness.

your description and photographs seem to place them into the genus Ganoderma. trademark concentrically zoned cap surface, with the dark reddish tones. the pores are white and bruise a brownish color which is right on with Ganoderma. so yes, they are not the finest of specimens, and i am not certain which exact species of Ganoderma they could be, but yes.

i like to break the fresh Reishi's in half and smell, probably the most medicinal and healthy smell i can think of really.

thanks for sharing your finds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7981273 -

As GGO said, yes, Ganoderma sp..

GGreatOne234 said:
i like to break the fresh Reishi's in half and smell, probably the most medicinal and healthy smell i can think of really.



They have an extremely mushroomy smell!!

I remember one time i was hunting, and found a really perfect Ganoderma and stuck it in my back pack and continued to hunt around.  I would be walking along, and then smell mushrooms in one direction, and start to head that way, looking for the source of the smell.  After 15 minutes I realized I was walking in circles..... I opened my bag, took a whiff, and realized I was chasing the mushroomy smell coming from my back pack.  :lol:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: CureCat]
    #7981306 -

CureCat said:
As GGO said, yes, Ganoderma sp..

GGreatOne234 said:
i like to break the fresh Reishi's in half and smell, probably the most medicinal and healthy smell i can think of really.



They have an extremely mushroomy smell!!

I remember one time i was hunting, and found a really perfect Ganoderma and stuck it in my back pack and continued to hunt around.  I would be walking along, and then smell mushrooms in one direction, and start to head that way, looking for the source of the smell.  After 15 minutes I realized I was walking in circles..... I opened my bag, took a whiff, and realized I was chasing the mushroomy smell coming from my back pack.  :lol:




truffles really mess you up when they're in a backpack


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: myCo_psyCo]
    #7981315 -

I would be walking away in circles. Truffles smell putrid to me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: CureCat]
    #7982133 -

There is so much reishi around these parts.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: snoot]
    #7982681 -

wowzers snoot. That is a beautiful picture!!!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: snoot]
    #7982844 -

snoot said:
There is so much reishi around these parts.




beautiful! amazing


--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: possible reishi? [Re: casgoodie]
    #7984385 -

that was only one of the many huge flushes I found on logs/tree's around there, they were so prevalent they were fruiting off uprooted roots, looked like fresh reishi fruiting from the ground.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Wild Red Reishi (Ganoderma Lucidum)
( 1 2 all )
Eulbakinom 5,021 27 09/30/14 10:19 AM
by Youngwoodsman
* ID request please. - Reishi, Ganoderma guardian_10 1,339 14 11/13/11 07:25 PM
by guardian_10
* Reishi Ganoderma ID needed Tazeem 1,211 13 09/02/10 07:05 PM
by Tazeem
* Red Reishi (Ganoderma Lucidum) confirmation weiliigod 1,729 12 08/11/10 02:39 PM
by weiliigod
* Suspected Reishi / Ganoderma _the_searcher_ 835 4 06/30/10 09:47 PM
by Mycoenthusiast
* Reishis in my yard bloodycarcass 605 8 05/21/17 07:52 AM
by bloodycarcass
* reishi ? need an ID RandomHero 1,828 7 07/11/07 09:13 PM
by canid
* Is this Ganoderma Applanatum? Malathion 806 2 07/14/14 08:32 PM
by Malathion

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,182 topic views. 0 members, 16 guests and 52 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.