Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Should I keep jars airtight?
    #798381 - 08/05/02 06:50 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok saturday night I injected 7 jars, when I was done I closed them up pretty much airtight. I can find plenty of info that says to keep the lids on loose. I can also find plenty that says to keep them on tight. I went the tight route to keep contams out. I've read about gas exchange, do I have to worry about this right away? Should I start thinking about this when the mycelium are almost fully formed, or wait till I put the cakes in the fruiting chamber?
I ask stupid questions so I don't make stupid mistakes.

Livin in Cali, the land of fake tits, and injected lips. (It's not always a bad thing)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Should I keep jars airtight? [Re: Magash]
    #798386 - 08/05/02 06:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Just leave the lids on and tight...good luck with yer grow...

InvisibleThe_Mad_Hatter
Certified Madman

Loc: Somewhere in Wonderland
    #798392 - 08/05/02 06:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I would leave them tight. The first jars I did I left loose and they dried up before they were done. I did inject with water and they were saved, but I don't believe a loose lid is needed until things really slow down.

--------------------
`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. `You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #798397 - 08/05/02 06:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Keep them on tight for the moment - as the cake becomes colonized, the growth may slow down significantly because of the lack of air exchange. This won't happen until late in the cake's growth, probably. If growth seems to stall, you might consider loosening the lid a little to allow some exchange.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineSwondPooping
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Female
Loc: third drawer from the top...
    #799237 - 08/06/02 06:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

My first round of jars I took lids off and innoculated and put them back on air tight. I did 3 jars by pounding a hole in the top with a nail. The three jars that had the holes were starting to colonize in 3 days, the others did not budge until I put holes in their lids as well.

You can to a couple things to let there be air exchange without drying out or contams. Cover them with filters and rubber bands, put them in the bottom of a plastic file storage container (what I did) and cover the container (they are not air tight but keep the moisture in pretty well and contams out)

Good luck and use any information you find handy here, then disregard the rest.

K

--------------------
^Pure Fiction^
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation