Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Feds raid targets Sharpton.............(updated)
    #7752910 - 12/13/07 09:09 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Wonder if anything will come of this.......but I find this as an outstanding event......my personal hatered for him aside:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/12/13/2007-12-13_subpoenas_for_al_sharptons_aides.html

Subpoenas for Al Sharpton's aides
By GREG B. SMITH and LARRY McSHANE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, December 13th 2007, 4:00 AM

The Rev. Al Sharpton's finances are target of a federal probe.
Teams of federal agents swooped down on up to 10 close associates of the Rev. Al Sharpton Wednesday, demanding the flamboyant clergyman's financial records since 2001.

Sharpton's former chief of staff said he was roused at his Harlem home about 6:30 a.m. by two FBI agents who handed him a subpoena to bring the records to a federal grand jury the day after Christmas.

Several employees of Sharpton's National Action Network also got wakeup subpoenas to testify before the Brooklyn panel, the rabble-rousing reverend's lawyer said.

The FBI and IRS are investigating whether Sharpton improperly misstated the amount of money he raised during his 2004 White House run to illegally obtain federal matching funds, a source familiar with the probe said.

Sharpton, although forced to return $100,000 in matching taxpayer funds after an investigation two years ago, denied any wrongdoing at the time.

The feds are also looking into allegations of tax fraud, including whether Sharpton commingled funds from his nonprofit National Action Network with several of his for-profit ventures, the source said.

Lawyer Michael Hardy shrugged off the probe, which sought a vast array of business, political and personal records, as a federal fishing expedition.

"I can't think of a time when the Rev. Sharpton wasn't under investigation," he said.

Sharpton was not among those subpoenaed in the synchronized sweep of friends and employees.

"It was like a sting or a raid," said Carl Redding, who spent eight years as the head of Sharpton's staff. "They converged on everybody."

As many as 10 people were subpoenaed, Redding said. The court papers also sought a wide range of financial records, from invoices of expenses paid by cash to cash receipts to bad debt records from the years 2001 to 2007.

Sharpton's quixotic run for the Democratic presidential nomination has raised questions of financial impropriety - including charges that he spent campaign funds on swanky hotels.

In April 2005, Sharpton denied allegations that he failed to report tens of thousands of dollars in campaign cash to the Federal Election Committee.

Sharpton's associates were summoned to testify before the grand jury on the morning after Christmas. The subpoenas additionally called for them to provide the IRS with all financial records from the campaign and a half-dozen Sharpton-related businesses.

Personal finance records from Sharpton and his wife, Kathy, were also sought by investigators.

A Sharpton spokesman said the reverend, who pleaded guilty in 1993 to a misdemeanor for failure to file a tax return, would assist with the probe.

"What I would tell you is that what the National Action Network has done, and will continue to do, is cooperate and comply," said Charlie King, a spokesman for the network.

Redding, a restaurateur, said he was surprised by the subpoena, because he left his position as Sharpton's chief of staff in 1998.

"They wouldn't tell me what the investigation was about," Redding said.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Edited by SirTripAlot (12/15/07 07:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #7753074 - 12/13/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

FOX news will never let anything happen to their favorite Negro...

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7753503 - 12/13/07 12:31 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I wish I could feel sorry for the Holy Racist Himself, but, I'm not. Karma can be a real bitch.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: Seuss]
    #7753517 - 12/13/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Slim Shady is one slick operator. I won't be a damn bit surprised if he slithers out of this. He's been doing it for decades.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7753632 - 12/13/07 01:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

What kind of totalitarian regime is this country coming to when the fed starts cracking down on bad haircuts?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: Silversoul]
    #7753693 - 12/13/07 01:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

> What kind of totalitarian regime

I hope that it was not politically motivated.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #7753866 - 12/13/07 01:55 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

why are they trying to keep the black man down like this?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton.............(updated) [Re: afoaf]
    #7763027 - 12/15/07 07:46 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It looks like its getting better...........

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/12529201.html

Videotape shows Sharpton cutting a deal
By John Shiffman

Inquirer Staff Writer

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
With a hidden FBI camera rolling inside a New York hotel suite in 2003, an unsuspecting Rev. Al Sharpton, Democratic candidate for president, spoke candidly.

Sharpton offered to help Philadelphia fund-raiser Ronald A. White win a multimillion-dollar business deal, if White helped him raise $50,000 for politics.

White offered $25,000. "If you bring my guys up on this hedge fund, and I have the right conversation," White said, "I'll give you what you need."

"Cool," Sharpton said.

The Inquirer obtained an account of the May 9, 2003, conversation, which was recorded as part of the Philadelphia City Hall corruption case. The tape helped spark a separate inquiry into Sharpton's 2004 campaign and his civil-rights organization, the National Action Network. The FBI-IRS probe resurfaced publicly Wednesday, when Sharpton aides received subpoenas.

In an interview yesterday, Sharpton said there is "absolutely nothing illegal" about tying business deals to fund-raising because he is not a public official.

"The tapes vindicate me," Sharpton said. "They show that I did not talk about bribing a public official or paying money under the table."

The video was recorded by an FBI camera hidden in a lamp inside Suite 34A at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in Manhattan. Sharpton and White were introduced by La-Van Hawkins, a Detroit businessman.

At the time, FBI agents were investigating White and Hawkins, suspecting that they were involved in pay-to-play in Philadelphia - raising campaign funds for Mayor Street and others in order to win municipal contracts for favored donors. Later FBI agents in the case infamously placed a bug in Street's office, but it was discovered before it recorded anything.

FBI agents tapping White's phones in 2003 recorded more than 20 conversations between White and Sharpton, most of them related to fund-raising for the presidential campaign and an effort to secure a $40 million pension-fund deal in New York.

About a year later, White, Hawkins and a dozen others, including former City Treasurer Corey Kemp, were indicted in Philadelphia on federal pay-to-play corruption charges.

White died before trial. Hawkins was convicted of fraud and perjury and sentenced to 33 months. Kemp is serving a 10-year sentence for corruption, bribery and fraud.

No charges were brought related to Sharpton or the proposed New York pension-fund deal, which never materialized.

However, as The Inquirer reported in 2005, the New York-based investigation of Sharpton has continued. Sources said agents in that case are examining whether Sharpton violated campaign-finance laws or used money donated to his National Action Network for personal use.

FBI spokesman James Margolin in New York declined to comment yesterday.

When Sharpton and White teamed up in 2003, each had a need and a talent. Sharpton had access to business and government officials, and needed help fund-raising for his fledgling national campaign. White had access to campaign donors and was always looking for connections into business and government deals.

To qualify for matching federal funds in the presidential campaign, Sharpton needed to raise $5,000 in each of 20 states. According to a spreadsheet created by White's office staff, White and Hawkins raised contributions for Sharpton in California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan and Pennsylvania. White solicited funds from donors in Texas, New Jersey, Alabama and Maryland, and made plans to raise money in a half dozen other states.

Some contributors, however, were reluctant to help White contribute to Sharpton because they didn't want their names attached to the controversial preacher in public records. One businessman in Philadelphia is heard on one wiretap expressing such concern. White convinced him to move the money through White's political action committee instead.

On a few calls, Hawkins expressed his concern about Sharpton's shortcomings as a candidate. He was sloppy with campaign finances, Hawkins said, worrying that some campaign funds might get mixed with personal or National Action Network funds.

"He's a train wreck - a plane crash waiting to happen," Hawkins told White.

During the 2003 hotel meeting, Sharpton also discussed the wisdom of raising funds for voter-registration outreach because, unlike candidate contributions, there are no fund-raising or spending limits on them.

In May 2004, the FEC ruled that the Sharpton campaign had to repay $100,000 in matching funds because he spent more than twice as much as allowed of his own money on his campaign.

In the interview yesterday, Sharpton said that he has heard some of the wiretaps and they are not incriminating. He said his campaign finance reports show that he has done nothing wrong.

"It's not illegal for me to help guys get contracts . . . making introductions for Mr. White and Mr. Hawkins, if they help me raise money," Sharpton said. "I'm not a public official."

"You can make tapes sound like whatever you want," he said, "but the timing of this is ridiculous."

Sharpton was referring to his recent protests and commentary about the racial controversy in Jena, La., involving six black teenagers accused of beating a white classmate.

"This is government harassment," he said. "I knew this investigation would come back when we started the Jena protests."

Of the investigation, Sharpton predicted, "It went nowhere three years ago and it's going nowhere now."

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: afoaf]
    #7763105 - 12/15/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
why are they trying to keep the black man down like this?

The "hidden hairy hand of the white man" as Jesse Jackson puts it.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #7763330 - 12/15/07 08:58 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Just to be fair.....here is the man's(with the high concentration of melanin) response:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/12/13/2007-12-13_sharpton_denounces_federal_probe.html

Sharpton denounces federal probe
BY CHRISTINA BOYLE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, December 13th 2007, 2:55 PM

The Rev. Al Sharpton fought back Thursday against a federal investigation into his financial records - saying the mass early-morning subpoenas served on up to 10 close associates were part of a stunt designed to discredit him.

Speaking at his National Action Network headquarters in Harlem, Sharpton hit out at agents for issuing subpoenas to his colleagues, including four single mothers, at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, saying it was "insensitive" and "disrespectful."

FBI and IRS agents delivered subpoenas requiring the Sharpton aides to testify before a federal grand jury in Brooklyn on the morning after Christmas - and to bring all the records with them.

"I'm used to running uphill with a load on my back but I don't think to treat single mothers like that is something that should be excused and something that should be unquestioned," Sharpton said.

He said his secretary, press agent and several current and former staff members were asked to hand over financial records and books dating back to 2001.

He said he has no idea what the investigation is about.

"I don't know what they're doing," he said. "I'm used to operating under investigation, in fact I've never operated when I haven't."

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Edited by SirTripAlot (12/15/07 09:07 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#7763468 - 12/15/07 09:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

OMG WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE SINGLE MOTHERS!?

seriously, put him away...on ANYTHING...just get him out of the lime light.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7763497 - 12/15/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

He's in the lime light?

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #7763684 - 12/15/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
OMG WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE SINGLE MOTHERS!?

seriously, put him away...on ANYTHING...just get him out of the lime light.

Santa's whatching...

Better be careful what you say ( and what kinda grand jury meets one day after christmas?_

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7764583 - 12/16/07 01:54 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I'd laugh my ass off if Sharpton went away for a while.

Does anybody have a link to that video of Sharpton talking about a cocaine deal? He's wearing this ridiculous hat and he's talking to a guy about being able to get large amounts of coke and shit. It's hilarious.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Feds raid targets Sharpton............. [Re: Silversoul]
    #7765534 - 12/16/07 01:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

he's got a radio program and seems to be constantly in the news.

he's dead weight on whatever bandwagon he happens to find himself on.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order