Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Easy Rider (1969) * 1
    #7367550 -

I watched this film yesterday for the first time; it was definitely one of the most powerful movies I have seen in some time, and I am still trying to figure out what to make of it.

It has been heralded as the quintessence of '60s counterculture cinema. It has no plot, but follows three men on a motorcycle trek across the country to the American Valhalla (Mardi Gras) - two of them (Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper) having recently completed a cocaine smuggling deal and one of them, an alcoholic lawyer (Jack Nicholson), picked up on the way after a chance meeting in a hot Southern prison.

The climax of the film involves Fonda and Hopper taking LSD in a cemetery with two prostitutes. It's one of the most disturbing scenes I can remember seeing on-screen, and must have turned thousands in its time off from ever trying acid.

What do you think of the movie? The LSD scene in particular? Did it remind you of any bad trips you've ever had? I certainly could not relate to it in terms of my trip experiences; it did however bring out some subconscious religious fears and attachments in me and also gave me a slap in the face with respect to how I view women.

All in all a movie I recommend as worth watching.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Lion]
    #7367622 -

That was a great movie.I never understood why it ended the way it did.


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: avidpicker]
    #7367742 -

it ended because of what jack nicholis said "don't go around showing people they arent free or they'l go around killing poeopl to prove they are{" or something to that extent.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: moon_glue]
    #7367816 -

moon_glue said:
it ended because of what jack nicholis said "don't go around showing people they arent free or they'l go around killing poeopl to prove they are{" or something to that extent.



never listen to a golfer


--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: moon_glue]
    #7367872 -

moon_glue said:
it ended because of what jack nicholis said "don't go around showing people they arent free or they'l go around killing poeopl to prove they are{" or something to that extent.


That's a good point; I did not make that (now obvious) connection.

But then how free were they really? The acid scene made it seem as though they had been running from their demons and had not been able to outrun them. Why did Fonda's character think they had 'blown it'?


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Lion]
    #7368151 -

yes, I rented that movie a week ago and it took me back to when I was about 7 years old and saw it for the first time. I think it was one of the first movies I ever saw.

The "we blew it" quote probably comes from the fact that he was acknowleging that they were just a couple of hippies and never really did anything worthy. That they were just riding around stoned all the time and didn't really deserve that Florida retirement.

The trip scene was cool and I could relate to the shot of Peter Fonda crying at the statue. Fonda said his mother slit her throat and Hooper keyed on that fact and got him to open up on that tangent in the movie.
If you mother has died and you trip real hard I guess it can make you grieve over the fact.

Cool movie!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: altershroom]
    #7368155 -

Fonda's mother slit her throat IRL??  So was the emotion he was showing genuine? :eek: If so, my hat's off to him.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Lion]
    #7368212 -

Funny, I rented that movie last week and was again blown away at how good it was.

You see it was one of the first movies I ever saw as a kid, I was about 7 years old. I guess Peter Fonda said "we blew it' because he was realizing that they were just hippies riding around smoking up all the time and didn't really deserve the money.
Fondas mom in real life slit her throat and his friend Hopper keyed in on that and made him dwell on that in the trip scene. Moral of the story is don't trip if you have mental baggage and aren't ready to deal with it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: altershroom]
    #7368399 -

I have a large poster from the movie on my wall. When I bought it, I hadn't actually seen the movie, just the ending.

Weeks had gone buy before I searched for the movie and watched it. Easy Rider is easily one of the best movies to ever come out, period. The LSD scene is spot on. Jack Nicholson, for me, stole the show, but it was hard to choose because the director had breathed life into each of the characters. Easy Rider is just simply an amazing movie.

I now look at that poster and see how it perfectly captures the zeitgeist of Easy Rider.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Lion]
    #7368596 -

If I remember from the director's commentary on my DVD, Peter Fonda really took acid in that scene. Maybe they all did. I can't remember. Can anyone else confirm that?






--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Learyfan]
    #7368602 -

No way!


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: HybridFlash]
    #7368619 -

Dennis Hopper actally directed it. I guess he was pretty messed-up at the time and constantly freaked-out on the set.

Here's a good spot for trivia: http://imdb.com/title/tt0064276/trivia

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Learyfan]
    #7368620 -

That's really hard to believe.. seems so unprofessional.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Brugman]
    #7368626 -

Brugman said:
That's really hard to believe.. seems so unprofessional.



Haha. Sounds like you havent seen the movie. Its not exactly professional. Still a classic thou.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: PinballWizard]
    #7368631 -

By the way, has anyone seen either "The Trip" or "Psych-Out"? Both similar period films with Nicholson in "Psych-Out", and also directing "The Trip" which starred Fonda.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0063469/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0062395/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: PinballWizard]
    #7368702 -

bug said:
No way!



I think so, dude. I'd have to watch the DVD extras again. It's either in the Dennis Hopper audio commentary or on the little documentary thing about the movie with Peter Fonda interview clips.





PinballWizard said:
By the way, has anyone seen either "The Trip" or "Psych-Out"? Both similar period films with Nicholson in "Psych-Out", and also directing "The Trip" which starred Fonda.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0063469/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0062395/



I've seen "Psych-Out", which is good. I haven't seen "The Trip" yet, but I'd like to. they sell both movies on one DVD now.







--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: HybridFlash]
    #7368782 -

I just watched it on TV.

Not a bad film.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Learyfan]
    #7368801 -

Learyfan said:
If I remember from the director's commentary on my DVD, Peter Fonda really took acid in that scene. Maybe they all did. I can't remember. Can anyone else confirm that?



All I heard was that the marijuana was real.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: domite]
    #7368803 -

I have the "Easy Rider" soundtrack. Groovy man.








--------------------
--------------------------------


Mp3 of the month: Wild Things- Another Colored Ink Drawing (A.C.I.D.)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Easy Rider (1969) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #12682899 -

I just finished this movie for the first time. Great fucking film, one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
Would recommend.


--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Easy Rider........ Bullfrog1 1,095 19 12/12/02 12:31 AM
by
* Movies SubGen1us 1,189 16 10/25/04 02:26 AM
by Barbi
* ***REEL TIME*** Poll, Movies: Suggestion --or(f)-- MATTER.... . . . ? CaRnAgECaNdYS 1,103 8 03/05/05 02:25 PM
by CaRnAgECaNdY
* Favorite Movie Quotes
( 1 2 3 all )
JettaJay 5,533 40 11/19/04 07:47 PM
by Scarfmeister
* Movies?
( 1 2 all )
TheDudeAbides 3,744 34 06/19/05 04:19 AM
by ivi
* Rock-n-Roll movies... LouiseLouise 762 13 03/01/05 04:37 PM
by Vvellum
* Acid Movie cosmicray 1,027 11 08/19/04 05:04 PM
by CybinMonde
* when you coming back red rider? Anonymous 569 5 01/05/04 07:13 AM
by Rose

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,085 topic views. 9 members, 62 guests and 231 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.