Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
poisonous hallucinogens?
    #713472 - 06/30/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hello. i have a mushroom book written by Thomas Laessoe and Gary Lincoff. its an eywittness handbooks; visual guide to more than 500 species of mushies. amongst the mushies in here, i have some questions. the only labeled Psilocybe Cubensis in the book is San Isidro psilocybe and under edibility it is labeled deadly. as well as the only labeled P. cyanescens, common woodchip Psilocybe. are these particular species really deadly or do these authors label them deadly to scare people from consuming them? same w/ Gymnopilus spectabilis, Big Laughing Gym(one reffered to be only active mushie in AZ). are these particulars, as well as others labeled in books to be deadly, done so only for intimidation to keep people from tripping on them? should i feel threatened? cuz i live in AZ and want to hunt for the G. spectibilis, but if it is poisonous, i want to know. this book says it's edibility is deadly. is this false information?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedalorean
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: dalorean]
    #713478 - 06/30/02 03:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

cuz EVERY mushroom stated in this book as a halucinogen has the typical pirate skull w/ the cross bones for label of deadly. either that or a cross through a dinner plate(non-edible).

Offlinedalorean
    #713507 - 06/30/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

even liberty caps are labeled deadly and i KNOW they aint.....are they??

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #714079 - 06/30/02 07:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think I've seen a similar book which also confused me. The psilocybe species that were in there were labelled as poisonous.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: Sheepish]
    #714168 - 06/30/02 07:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dalorean YOUR WRONG
no im sorry... psilocybe is a poison... it can be deadly that is why the authors have done this... eat away

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: deepr]
    #714183 - 06/30/02 07:37 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

sheepish.. i noticed youve become a points whore ;]
any luck? i got fucked off at the warm weather so picked lots of amanitas, about 20... you know those red and white spotted ones... and dried em'cooked em' boiled em' and had a very weird time... i think next time ill eat more... definitely dirty tho.. ;]
l8r

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #714691 - 06/30/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hehehe, not THAT much of a post whore... Nah, not much luck at all. Went looking today around a primary school, the fields were way too wet, so I didn't feel too compelled to take a good look around their fields. Gardens there, no luck either. On the way out I had one last look in a bark garden and found some shrooms, but I doubt they were active. They were a dull red, no white spots, white stems, dirty looking, and the older ones had melted into a dark brown mush. Lots of them, shame they weren't anything worth picking.

InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
    #714713 - 06/30/02 11:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>dalorean YOUR WRONG
>no im sorry... psilocybe is a poison... it can be deadly that is why the authors have >done this... eat away

Please tell me where you found that psilocybe is a poison. As far as I know and most likely everyone else here knows that it is not a poison.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #714848 - 07/01/02 01:56 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deepr,

You wrote:

"no im sorry... psilocybe is a poison... it can be deadly that is why the authors have done this... eat away."

Psilocybe containing mushrooms are not deadly and no one has ever died from eating psilocybine mushrooms.

One child here in washington and one in califiornia are thought to have died after eating P. baeocystis, however the images in the actual article on thead appear to be P. azurescens or P. cyanescens and not P. baeocystis. However, the reports also indicate there were mixed collections made during identification.

mj

They were originally listed as hallucinogenic/poiosonous.

Straight mycologists are usulally not interested in magic shrooms. Although some try them from time to time.

mj

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #715049 - 07/01/02 05:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Now what would things be like if you're guide book said they were perfectly edible?

Can you imagine Mr. and Mrs Jones, novice mushroom hunters devouring a few ounces of Cubensis they had found hunting that Sunday morning?
What a strange experience it would be for them!

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinedalorean
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #715275 - 07/01/02 08:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

it just bugs me cause i get a informative, non-fiction book to learn more about mushrooms, and all i get is false information! what kind of book is that???
and Psilocybe cubensis are not deadly, but they say they are, so i get confused and wander if one or two different strains might be poisonous(since the labeled strain states to be deadly). just gets me thinkin', y'know??

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #715620 - 07/01/02 11:35 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

it just bugs me cause i get a informative, non-fiction book to learn more about mushrooms, and all i get is false information! what kind of book is that???

There is mis-information everywhere, especially on the subject of drugs.

We will look after you, if you need to know anything about mushrooms, ask it at the shroomery

In reply to:

and Psilocybe cubensis are not deadly, but they say they are, so i get confused and wander if one or two different strains might be poisonous(since the labeled strain states to be deadly). just gets me thinkin', y'know??

Yeah, I know. Get a book called 'psilocybin mushrooms of the world' by Paul Stamets. This is a bible of hallucinogenic (and non) mushrooms. Well worth it, if you're serious about the hunt.

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineDarkStar1
Stranger
    #715765 - 07/01/02 01:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If they were there would be no one to answer your post!

Offlinedirk gently
enthusiast
    #716334 - 07/01/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have looked up psilocybes in these mushroom guidebooks before also. I don't recall them being described as deadly, but I'm sure it mentioned something about being non-edible or poisonous. Again, we have the problem of how you define poison. So poisonous can be correct. Deadly is incorrect, IMO.

The hobby of collecting and eating wild mushrooms is an activity reserved for the bottom of the gene pool, imo. There are so many look-a-like mushrooms that its a kin to russian roulette. Luckily for psilocybe hunters, they are among the only ones to show a blue-ing reaction when damaged (to my knowledge).

OfflineDante606
Old KentuckyShark
Loc: Under the bridge
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: dirk gently]
    #716353 - 07/01/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

They CAN be deadly... I read in one of the FAQs on here that 50% of the time they'll kill you, if you eat your own body weight in them...

It'd be a fun ride tho...

Edited by Dante606 (07/01/02 04:56 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: Dante606]
    #716952 - 07/01/02 10:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

No one could ever eat their body weight in anything. Ten to fifteen pounds of eating something and your probably already gone fromthat one.

mj/

And no they are not deadly. Re member that all guide books proior to 1968 or so listed many species of psilocybe as poisonous/hallucinogenic. That was becasue no one knew there was psilocine or psilocybine inthe mushrooms until June of 1958 when ALbert Hofmann published his findings on the chemicals found in these mushrooms. This also made Time and newsweek magazine.

Anyes there were dozens of known case histories of accidental ingestions by straight people who ate them thinking they were a food item.

Tha was why they were all originaly listed as such.

While Gary Lincoff worote both the Audubon field Guide to Mushrooms he also wrote the SImon and Schulster Field Guide.

Audubon allowed Mrt. Lincoff to put in the Psilocybes while Simon and Schulster asked him not to put in the magic shrooms.

Censcorship or what?

mj

OfflineDante606
Old KentuckyShark
Loc: Under the bridge
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #717110 - 07/02/02 01:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I never actually said you could eat you own body weight in anything... I just thought I read it somewhere... no ones ever been able to finish that six pound burger... I also thought I was God once...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: poisonous hallucinogens? [Re: Dante606]
    #717306 - 07/02/02 04:42 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Dante, the quote of body weight was formualed by Jonathan Ott and is described in many journal articles as the correct weight for fresh shrooms. That would be equal to 19 grams of pure chemical..

However, again I mentioned that no one could eat more than a certain amount of pounds of anykind of food and eventually overeating would kill one. But no one could consume a body weight in anything.

mj

Was not an attack against you. Just stateing a fact of consumption.

mj

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
    #717429 - 07/02/02 06:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i think magic mushies would be considered poisonous, its just that we happen to desire the effects of that paticular poison.

OfflinePsilocybicMind
contaminated

Loc: CA- LA
    #718185 - 07/02/02 02:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

yea man i feel you, i have the same freakin book, and i thought it was the greatest book in the world, with all the purdy and detailed pictures, but then i realized all the popular shrooms are eighter non edible or deadly poisonous, confused the shit out of me... besides teh pictures, its a peace of shit book, even in the little bios of the shrooms they keep repeating themselves, and dont provide the reader with any information he wants to know, atleast thats how i felt when i read it...

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom

- - - Barbara E Hanson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies