Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Which Substrate receipe is the best?
    #70431 - 01/05/00 01:00 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I'm in the process of fruiting some Ecu's on straw as we speak :biggrin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#70433 - 01/05/00 02:26 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I've read that it's not good to attempt to use a mostly bird seed substrate if you do not have a pressure cooker and have to boil your jars. Is this true? Is the substrate too light for the heat to properly transfer when boiling? Or does boiling damage the substrate some how?

------------------
::peace:: noisecode
the fungus are amongus!!

Anonymous

#70434 - 01/05/00 04:01 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The reason its reccomended not to use birdseed or rye without a pressure cooker is because there are contams inside of them that heat doesnt kill the pressure does tho

------------------
Lady finger, dipped in moonlight
writing "What for?" across the morning sky
sunlight splatters, dawn with ansewer
darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #70435 - 01/05/00 04:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Heya Cougz,

Yes, birdseed is still the shit :smile: (I've never tried straw, but have heard good things about it too). I've grown both of those strains on it and they seem to love it.
Another strain I would recommend is the Golden Teachers. They look so badass :smile: :smile:
DH

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #70436 - 01/05/00 04:46 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know if there is a such thing as the best substrate..But if you look you will find hundreds of substrate recipies...find which one works best for you and modify it and Pioneer a new substate That we can add to the list...

Anonymous

#70437 - 01/06/00 12:13 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I thought that you first colonize substrate (in a jar i guess) then you mix it with straw in a tray and case. Is this true cuz that's how it is to my understanding. And also i remember someone posting sumthing on usin bags instead of jars for colonizing your substrate, could sumbody post the link or maybe gimme sum info??? oh yeah, i have a pressure cooker but i have no idea how to use it so is there a good "boiling" receipe? oh well, i guess i hafta learn how to use the pressure cooker if i want sum quality stuff... as you can tell i'm confused and i don't wanna fuck up.

CoUgZ1

Anonymous

#70438 - 01/06/00 12:20 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I use standard white millet bird seed mix with brown rice and verm. I wanted to see if there was a difference. So I concocted my own mix. This batch will be ready in about a week. So I'll be able to post the results later. I've got the recipe written down somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it now. I'll find it and post it when I get my first flush off of these cakes.

------------------
Trying to rationalize with an irrational person, is in itself irrational!

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#70439 - 01/06/00 01:07 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:48 PM)

Anonymous

#70440 - 01/06/00 04:10 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well i searched the shroomery BB and found posts on using bags from FP. I found them interesting and i'm probably gonna use them. Just wondering if anybody still uses them and how great/crappy they are.
I just checked out my pressure cooker and there seems to be no psi meter or anything! It's made by Lagostina but i dunno no serial numbers or anything, it's pretty old and i think it's broken. *sigh*

Anonymous

#70441 - 01/06/00 07:22 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well, i was checkin out ryche's site (which is full of invaluble information, good work ryche!) and checked out the cambodian strain.... HOLY SHIT!!! Ryche, what do you think the trip is comparable to? This strain seems to good to be true dudes!!! Do you think it's worth growing these instead of eqs or b+'s ryche???

THANKS!!!

Anonymous

#70442 - 01/07/00 01:41 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, forgot to say that i love you guys man, and love is what makes us work together man, i think love will make shrooms grow good dude... I NEE Dhelp!!! sumone reply please!!! ryche!!! yo.. typing... is fuct when your hands are cold. okay i'm toasted and i can't stop movin my head. what's the hell am i typing? ....okay.....

Offlineatlas
always listening
Male
    #70443 - 01/07/00 01:53 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

hmmm I want to try a better sub. myself instead of just brown rice and ver. I want to see how good I can get at this but it will be a while before I can give you guys some skills. peace baby dolls
ps. I just got the best lay of my life, it ROCKED....!

--------------------
"....there are no restraints on the Federal Reserve, the Fed is master of all it controls."
-Murray N. Rothbard

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#70444 - 01/07/00 08:41 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:54 PM)

InvisibleOdin 13
Excitable Boy

#70445 - 01/08/00 12:05 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

All you are doing is feeding a fungus, I started doing this in the mid 70's and yes many things have changed since then. I like going with whole grains, preferrably spherical, I feel it aids in propagation through the jar. Things like milo, millet, sorgum etc. I feel birdseed has taken over as the food of choice because it is easy to find and cheap. But any grain will do. Head on down to the local feed store, Hell I live in a big city and there is a feed store a mere 2 miles from where I live. Check out what they have, most times they are selling stuff out of 50# bags which are open and you can look it over. Prices are cheaper too. I got some oat "groats" for 55 cents a pound. One thing to be aware of is that alot of grain IS treated with fungicides, so ask! The people usually know their shit and can tell you what is treated and what is not. One clue here, tell them you are feeding rabbits, they are suseptible to fungicides, so grains for rabbit food are NOT treated. Some real good deals can be had this way. Also keep in mind that the whole growing process is dependant on water. Cook down your grain in a big pot with it covered in water. Keep adding more water as it is absorbed. Let it sit a while after cooking and it will usually suck up all of the water present. Go 2 parts grain to 1 part vermiculite previously wetted down but not soaking wet and you are set. One can add calcium carbonate if desired in small amounts but it is not totally necessary. Just don't pack down the substrate into your jars, keep it light & fluffy. No rocket science here you just want to feed a fungus which is not too picky about it's eating habits! This only holds true for grain loving species, not wood bearing types.

InvisibleOdin 13
Excitable Boy

#70446 - 01/08/00 12:09 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

All you are doing is feeding a fungus, I started doing this in the mid 70's and yes many things have changed since then. I like going with whole grains, preferrably spherical, I feel it aids in propagation through the jar. Things like milo, millet, sorgum etc. I feel birdseed has taken over as the food of choice because it is easy to find and cheap. But any grain will do. Head on down to the local feed store, Hell I live in a big city and there is a feed store a mere 2 miles from where I live. Check out what they have, most times they are selling stuff out of 50# bags which are open and you can look it over. Prices are cheaper too. I got some oat "groats" for 55 cents a pound. One thing to be aware of is that alot of grain IS treated with fungicides, so ask! The people usually know their shit and can tell you what is treated and what is not. One clue here, tell them you are feeding rabbits, they are suseptible to fungicides, so grains for rabbit food are NOT treated. Some real good deals can be had this way. Also keep in mind that the whole growing process is dependant on water. Cook down your grain in a big pot with it covered in water. Keep adding more water as it is absorbed. Let it sit a while after cooking and it will usually suck up all of the water present. Go 2 parts grain to 1 part vermiculite previously wetted down but not soaking wet and you are set. One can add calcium carbonate if desired in small amounts but it is not totally necessary. Just don't pack down the substrate into your jars, keep it light & fluffy. No rocket science here you just want to feed a fungus which is not too picky about it's eating habits! This only holds true for grain loving species, not wood bearing types.

OfflineCFH(COWBOY FROM HELL)
    #70447 - 01/08/00 01:34 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I used adifferent technique with the bird seed.I used bird seed and verm. ,then loaded them in the jars putting a verm. casing layer on the top like the pf method.But before adding the casing layer I filled the jars 1/3 full of sterile water.Presure cooked for 45minutes at 15 lbs.Worked pretty well.I ended up casing the cakes after colonization.This was using eq spores.Good luck.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds