Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Hmm. What were those?
    #699984 - 06/25/02 09:02 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I was walking through town one day after a non sucessfull mushroom hunt, when I spotted some mushrooms growing in clumps in woodchips. Then I looked down a little further and there was another patch growing in some grass next to a restraunt. I live In NS Canada. I picked them and brought them home, but threw them out because there was a ton of sow bugs with them and I thought they were coprinus miceaus..But now that I think about it im pretty sure they were not. They had brown caps. White stems and grew in clumps together. I think there might have been a ring on the top of the caps. They had black gills im pretty sure...Im starting to think they might have been Panaeolina foenisecii...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: Hmm. What were those? [Re: NiGGy]
    #700061 - 06/25/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like Panaeolina foenisecii... them things pop up EVERY where after it rains in the grasses here.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hmm. What were those? [Re: baraka]
    #700160 - 06/25/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

But Pans don't grow from woodchips. They could have been some sort of Psytherlla(sp?).

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Hmm. What were those? [Re: Gumby]
    #700193 - 06/25/02 10:31 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

according to MJ subs also grow from woodchips, make a spore print, take a photo...or make a sketch if you are artistic.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Re: Hmm. What were those? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #701046 - 06/25/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I threw them out a while ago..But now im questioning what they were. Drawing, look at my avatar So thats outta the question.

Subbs? They looked more darker brown and had bigger caps than the ones I found in a dung pile..But mabye its possible?

Edited by NiGGy (06/25/02 03:30 PM)

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
    #702259 - 06/26/02 05:15 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

They looked kinda like the one on the left. But the cap was bigger I think. But im guessing thats what they were! Mabye when I go back there someday i'll get a pic of them

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #702578 - 06/26/02 07:30 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Ok the picture you posted is of paneaolina foenescii...sometimes mistaken with paneaolus subbalteus...or castaneifolius, and various other active panns. The sporeprint of foenescii is brown/chocolate, in my experience usually not totally deep dark. The active panns and all panns for that matter have jet black, black to purple charcoal black spore prints. This varies depending on species, age and other environmental factors. It is sometimes very confusing...wait until the print is pretty dry, then judge the color under various lights. Some active panns I have printed at first seemed a bit brown...but after they dried a bit they are all some type of black. Aslo don't worry if you have a couple of foenescii in the mix, I usually end up with a few thrown in, because they were atypical in appearance. They contain 5htp and various other tryptophans that elevate mood...I have bought 5htp for a while and it can cost you a lot. So a natural source is cool with me. If I remember correctly you are in Ontario...if so, you should be able to find some active panns...So far including yesterdays haul I have found about 15 wet pounds or so of various active panns...which is good because they are not all very potent, so more is better. My suggestion for finding these is to go where they are building new houses, and check out the newly sodded lawns. This is where I have been finding the most. Of course if you have access to farms or stables check these out too, rotting hay/straw piles, manure (horse) and well fertilized or manured grass. You should find a lot if you are relentless. In terms of a pretty good site for info on these northern active panns check out Mitchnast's site
http://www.geocities.com/psilocyanide/musho.html , it is pretty informative, lot's of pictures and you will be able to see for the most part the differences between these mushrooms...and the variations of the same species. Cheers.

Heres to happy successful shroomin....once you get the hang of it you should have no problem, like some of the other successful hunters on here, I use all of my senses to tell if they are magic, poisonous, edible or nothing. Attention to details, smell, gut instinct and intelligence and lot's of research are all important to being successful...a bit of rain doesn't hurt either...hehe.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Re: Hmm. What were those? [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #702845 - 06/26/02 09:06 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I've found a few pann subbs in a rotting dung/straw pile a few weeks ago after a rain. Looks to be about .7g dry. I live in Nova Scotia.

Do any active panns grow in cow pastures? Or is dung piles basicly the only place to look?

How do you go about lookin for mushrooms on lawns? Don't the land owners get pissed?

I've checked out his site! Its pretty good!

Thank you!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #702883 - 06/26/02 02:07 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry yeah...I knew it was eastern Canada...should have looked at your profile. Anyways, yes farmers fields are good too..not just straw or dung piles. In terms of lawn huntin...I just play it by ear, most of the time nobody is home, sometimes they are and then I just ask...I tell them I am a mycology student from one of the Universities in town and I would like to collect some specimens. So far nobody has said no. With all of the rain we have had lately there are tonnes around, today I bagged another few pounds...cheers and happy huntin.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder