Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment
    #6968741 -

And your neighbor wants to let you know, what should they do first, knock on the wall or knock on your door?

Let's assume you do not know this neighbor.
What should come first?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 05/26/07 08:43 AM until the end of time

View the results of this poll



--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968752 -

where i live my "neighbors" are a constant flow of immigrants from various countries. they dont stay long, just long enough to get on medicade and they leave. they blast their music, kick their kids in the street and get drunk wevery night from fri - sun.
knocking on doors wouldnt work for me, cause they dont answer the door. or give a shit about anything.

i like blasting music in the wee hours so they can feel what it is like. sort of puts things in perspective for them after 9 or ten times i do it.
sorry you got troubles.
OoD


--------------------


http://dictionary.reference.com/


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968765 -

You have to give people like that a taste of their own medicine usually, because if you try to knock on their door you almost always get labeled as a "square" or a "narc" or something.  Otherwise, all you can do is ask them to quit and then threaten to call cops or the landlord.  :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: Oracle Of Delphi]
    #6968771 -

I actually haven't got any troubles yet, but sometimes when I am playing music or playing guitar -- not unreasonably loud in my opinion -- I hear knocks on the walls, but I'm sure they're just random knocks, I think.  I'm pretty conservative with my volumes, but I'm edging them up gradually. 

I don't hear much from my neighbors, except for the guy downstairs that yells sometimes (I think it's at the TV; nobody yells back)

Anybody know what city ordinances typically say? In terms of times of day and decibel levels? I couldn't find the one for my city.

*there*... I just heard the same knock I heard a minute ago but the Tool song trendal posted is now over and I'm not making any noise.

:lol: their smoke alarm just went off for about ten seconds...


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968778 -

I had problems with noise ordinances, actually received a summons to court for one - unless I wanted to pay the fine and avoid it.

So I went to court, got it thrown out on the grounds that the cop who gave me the summons actually admitted that when he got to my place the noise level was down to nothing. Whoever called basically convinced the cop to give us the citation.

I guess if the police don't actually see/hear it and you don't have a LOT of people complaining simultaneously about your noise then you're probably OK.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: idiotek]
    #6968788 -

Yeah I'm being pretty conservative so far, but I eventually want to see what this amp sounds like with some volume. 

I just want to make sure they get gradually pissed off as opposed to all at once.

:hairmetal:


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968794 -

It's 11pm here, for most noise to stop.

I doubt you'd get in trouble for any noise before that, short of having a rock concert in your living room :smirk:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968796 -

What sort of amp did you get?

I used to have a Peavey 5150 (think Eddie Van Halen's old rig) halfstack, 4 12" Celestion speakers in the cabinet and an all-tube head.  That amp had some beautifully warm distortion, and with a Paul Reed Smith guitar it was just peachy.  I had some problems with the tubes going bad frequently though, I think it was due to the age of the amp.

I got rid of it and got m'self an Orange ad30 twin channel combo, best decision I ever made.  Screw hauling a huge amp like that around when you can cut the size in half and have it all in one easy-to-tote combo that sounds just as good/better.  :yesnod:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: trendal]
    #6968801 -

When I lived in windsor our band would regularly practice at like 3am...INCREDIBLY loud. We were in a house though.

Sometimes the cops would show up, because the old bat next door would call them. The one time I talked to them, they said "well it sounds pretty good, so, whatever! Keep playing!" :smirk:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: trendal]
    #6968813 -

Haha, I love when cops don't take certain people as seriously because they abuse their right to call the police so often. I'll bet the old lady neighbor reported you guys constantly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: idiotek]
    #6968819 -

Like 5 times a night! We'd usually get a call from the cops first, asking us to tone it down. Later on they wouldn't even call, though I doubt the old lady gave up calling to complain!


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: idiotek]
    #6968820 -

On account of my apartment situation and my minimal budget, I got a VOX AD30 hybrid modelling combo. It's nice and portable and I don't need to carry pedals around with it. The clean and overdrive tones are great, but I can't get a decent high-gain tone out of it. All in all good purchase. I'm currently saving for an all tube combo.

Maybe I'll do a bit of research today.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968831 -

Vox is top-notch! I'd rather have a Vox than my Orange.. but what you have sounds incredibly similar aside from the hybrid thing. Does that just mean it's got some tubes but is mostly solid-state?

I have one pedal, a footswitch for the twin channels.. I set one to a higher gain and the other to a loud clean. It's damn convenient, too, despite the lack of an FX loop channel. I can just run effects through the clean channel.


Get yourself a nice overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedal. They're not too expensive, and will throw some crunch into your Vox. The beauty of those amps is in their wonderfully non-crunchy tone!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6968832 -

Might I recommend Mesa Boogie, they are an excellent brand!

Our guitarist had a Mesa Boogie Dual-rec:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Dual_Rectifier/dual_rectifier.html

And the cabinets to go with it (we had 2):
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/StilettoCabs/Stiletto4x12TRsl-LG.htm


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: idiotek]
    #6968841 -

Quote:
Vox is top-notch! I'd rather have a Vox than my Orange.. but what you have sounds incredibly similar aside from the hybrid thing. Does that just mean it's got some tubes but is mostly solid-state?



Yeah it has a single 12AX7 in the power section.  All other hybrids I've heard of have a tube in the preamp section.  Because it's in the power section I figure I haven't heard it at its best until I crank it.  I should take it to my parent's house when they aren't home. :headbang:


Best sounding non-tube amp I've heard, and very good price.  There are 15, 30, 50, and 100 watt versions.  The 100 watter is available as a head.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6969006 -

Knock on the door and be cool about it. Knocking on the wall just pisses everyone off and makes your neighbors bigger pricks.

Most apartments are cheaply built and the problem isn't your neighbor. Atleast talking to your neighbor you can find out if they are actually being loud and don't give a shit, or are curteous enough to respect your request.

Sometimes, you just have to deal with it. Part of apt. life really. :shrugs:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6969012 -

Just wait until a reasonable time of day, like 1 or 2 PM, and just crank it for a minute or two after you've let it warm up a bit. A couple of minutes of loud guitar playing during a peak time of daily activity for most people isn't grounds for punishment under the law, I'd imagine.

If your neighbors are lame about making noise, they deserve it anyway, otherwise you could probably just let them know in advance and they might be cool about it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6969108 -

I liked beating on the wall of my old apartment with the last set of neighbors


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: Cowgold]
    #6969221 -

Like I said I haven't had any problems, I was just wondering if I should ignore wall pounding until someone knocks on my door when I do play loud.

I'm a reasonable man, but I think they should have to come talk to me.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you're being unreasonably loud in an apartment [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6969800 -

I had problems with a neighbour because of this.

I was cleaning the place at about 5pm and listening to music and I start to hear banging on the wall, which I find extremely offensive, so I chose to ignore it. So after half an hour of on and off banging I here the doorbell.

I answer and it was my neighbour, another student like me. He tells me Didn't you hear me banging? so I answered, hello, yes I did but I am not an animal, If you want me to turn down the noise !!!at 5pm in the afternoon!!! the least you can do is be civil and come and ask me in person. If you do that I will be delighted to lower the volume down a bit.

He started getting agressive and shit so I told him that if he had any complaints he should go and see the supervisor, who I doubt would agree with him as it wasn't or very early or late or anything and it wasn't that loud and that if in the future he had any problems with noise he should come and ask me civilly to put it down a bit, and I would consider it.

He never came back, lol


--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* my cool new neighbor got arrested for SOMETHING Todcasil 1,452 16 09/11/06 09:52 AM
by Herbus
* Fucking neighbors called the cops!
( 1 2 all )
Entropymancer 7,042 35 06/05/08 07:33 AM
by blewmeanie
* Wow...I'm the reason my neighbor moved.
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 4,001 34 07/04/07 04:34 PM
by Liz
* Dear neighbor downstairs StonedShroom 1,258 16 03/20/05 07:53 PM
by Redstorm
* Abandoned neighbor's cats Mycomancer 1,164 5 12/16/04 08:04 PM
by Mycomancer
* Exibitionist neighbors!
( 1 2 all )
ToTheSummit 5,554 28 07/27/06 09:58 PM
by cApTaInCrAp
* Does anybody else evesdrop on their neighbors?
( 1 2 all )
DirtMcgirt 2,218 20 11/13/05 04:35 AM
by Fospher
* I just got some Sour Diesel from my neighbor!! MOTH 1,169 7 02/10/07 02:10 AM
by euphoricpoison

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,813 topic views. 8 members, 59 guests and 170 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.065 seconds spending 0.039 seconds on 24 queries.