Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
Bleach misting!?
    #691787 - 06/21/02 03:47 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have had slight contaim issues inside the fruiting chamber ( a few were growing a blue green moldy thing) so first I did the bleach tek dunk . the mold seemed to come back. i didnt want it to spread to other casings but i had nowhereelse to put them but in the terr. Let me just first say that the contaim was VERY slight after the dunk. So i got my spray bottle and filled it with water and a little bleach instead of the standard h2o2 i would add. i have been spraying all the casing for two days and the mold seems to have disappeared and there doesnt seem to be an adverse effect on the others. in fact the others are pinning now! anyone else try this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: cantankerous]
    #692174 - 06/21/02 08:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I personally wouldn't use bleach for any thing else than jar or surface cleaning that stuff is toxic.

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #692318 - 06/21/02 09:29 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well, supposedly (diluted) bleach shouldn't hurt your mycelium. I think there's some debate on how the mycelium uses or handles the breakdown of the bleach, but as far as I know there's been no conclusions.

You might have a problem with the fact that bleach has an PH of 12, which is quite a bit more basic than it ought to be. I would worry that by spraying your casings that you are making them inhospitable for the invaders, but also less hospitable for your mycelium. The mycelium just has a better foothold right now.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinecantankerous

#692498 - 06/21/02 11:13 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

update--- the other casing are still looking even healthier. if people are using the bleach dunk tek, i cant see how this is more harmful,in the dunk the mycelium has 24 hours to suck it up. here i am misting the top layer( mostly spraying sides of terr. actually) with it only. any further thoughts? sorry i am blazed right now so this is hard to think about.

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
    #692832 - 06/21/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I use bleach to mist, I also do the bleach dunk tek. Since I can't get any lime or other pf buffers, I can see how the basic characteristics of bleach could help prevent contams even further!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #693064 - 06/21/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Why dont you guys just dip your cakes in petrol - im sure that will kill contaminants

--------------------

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #693302 - 06/21/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Petrol's for sniffing. Bleach is good in my opinion. Kills the nasties.

Offlinegroingrinder
mycophiliac

#693312 - 06/21/02 08:10 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have done the bleach dunk for 24 hrs also with no problem, although most people just dunk for 5 to 10 minutes following a whole milk or plain water dunk. I also mist with bleach:water solution at 1:100 dilution when cobweb shows up on my cakes.

--------------------
Let's not confuse truth with reality.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#693443 - 06/21/02 10:46 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I would never spray bleach on my babies. Bleach is extremely detrimental to the envoirnment. How would you think spraying them would be benificial? (Only that it would kill contams [and shrooms])

If your worried about contams, just use a small peroxide ratio to water, and that works better than plain water.

whoever said soemthing about using bleach in place of lime, you should know that they are trying to achieve completely differnet things. but i odnno im sleepy i need to go to bd now nighttynight

Invisiblejaava
Loc: -
    #693502 - 06/22/02 01:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

yer Ive done the same, my casing had small area of evil greenish mold in one corner so what I did was spoon the bad area out and replace it with fresh peat casing and spray the casing slightly with bleach once a day for few days after that and theres been no contams since

--------------------
:shocked:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: jaava]
    #693548 - 06/22/02 03:17 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

since i invented the bleach tek,
i guess i should say a few words here.
i've been misting with a bleach solution for several weeks now,
works wonders at keeping contams at bay with no ill effects.
the ph of the bleach solution is easily adjusted by adding twice as much white vinegar as bleach to the solution.
that makes it even more effective as a germicide as well.
also, a little bubble bath, containing sodium lauryl [laureth] sulfate, added to reduce surface tension also makes the solution more effective.
so to make a gallon of bleach sanitizing solution,
use 1 tablespoon of bleach, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and a teaspoon of bubble bath.
we've got tons of more info & pics of success stories over at mycotopia in our archives under 'bleach dipping' so come take a look if you need more.
http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/10346.html?1023795190

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (06/22/02 03:42 AM)

Offlinekwisatz
journeyman

Loc: Arrakis
Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: Hippie3]
    #693604 - 06/22/02 04:51 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have used bleach misting, and it works very well.

Offlinecantankerous

#693789 - 06/22/02 07:59 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

did all you nay sayers read up on the bleach dunk?? you should read the reports that Hippie3 posted before you knock it down.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#694262 - 06/22/02 12:19 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

it's a shame, but you see that alot.
folks knocking what they don't understand or know about,
before they even bothering to try it or find out the truth.
but this tek is tested and proven, it's safe enough and we have all the evidence documented for anyone truly interested in more info on any aspect of using bleach in the cultivation process. of course, this tek is only less than 3 months old so we're still nailing down the fine points but as more folks do like this thread, post their results, then we all learn.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #694268 - 06/22/02 12:24 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds interesting Hip, I haven't read up on it but I can understand why people are taking a cautious approach.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#694714 - 06/22/02 04:26 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I havent read it either, so I was going really just referring to what I have heard all my life about bleach : Its a pretty dangerous chemical.

I guess if used in small doses, it wouldnt be as bad. ?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: angryshroom]
    #695078 - 06/22/02 09:01 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yes I have read it in full. Why would I need to try it though? The best way to stop contamination and the method that i employ is sterility. Rather than resorting to chemicals to kill contaminants once they have appeared, why not just improve you technique. Ps.Cubensis has some of the most resilient mycelia of all cultivated mushrooms - it is not at all hard to stop any fully colonised cake/substrate of cubensis from contaminating. If your using casings and are losing them to contaminants, you can always change the pH or use h202 or alcohol swabs to isolate and destroy any nasties.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #695463 - 06/23/02 01:06 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

well, if you don't need to use it then that's great.
but there are others, plenty of them, that have contam problems and the bleach mist/dip might just be of value to them.
at the least, bleach misting/dipping is far more effective than a lecture about sterile procedures.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #695557 - 06/23/02 02:30 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: Bleach misting!? [Re: Alien]
    #696516 - 06/23/02 03:02 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i almost never lose a cake in the jar.
most contams only arise on mine after the first couple flushes are done. seems the older the cake then the more likely contams become.
so it's not just something that 'correct sterile procedure' can easily cure, not to mention how much quicker and easier it is to mist with a bleach solution than it is to keep a sparkling clean grow room/environment.
btw, the bleach/vinegar/sodium lauryl sulfate solution we're recommending is already approved by the FDA for use on edibles [fruits & veggies] in grocery stores as a sanitizer for produce before it is sold to the public. so the odds are that you've already eaten stuff treated with this bleach solution and just didn't know it.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate