Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting
    #6833248 -

I have several poppy seedlings in a single pot suspended about 3 inches under 2 32 watt florescent lights.I have noticed that their growth has slowed considerably in the last week or so, I wanted to wait until the plants where more stable before transplanting into and outside container. I realize that early spring is not the ideal time for sowing poppy seeds, but this is just an experiment. My questions are: Is my lighting efficient enough for plants to mature indoor, and what is considered a safe stage in plant development for transplant, as i have read these seedlings are very sensitive to transplant.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/knoa/S4020006.jpg
this is a link to a picture of seedlings

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Knoa6]
    #6834367 -

they don't require as much light as cannabis
  if you want to transplant sow the seeds in peat pots and then the roots will just grow through the pots without even having to transplant. just plant the whole pot into your soil :thumbup:
  also I have grown them to maturity indoors in 20 oz solo cups

Edited by cpw1971 (04/25/07 08:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Knoa6]
    #6835834 -

Knoa6 said:
I have several poppy seedlings in a single pot suspended about 3 inches under 2 32 watt florescent lights.I have noticed that their growth has slowed considerably in the last week or so, I wanted to wait until the plants where more stable before transplanting into and outside container. I realize that early spring is not the ideal time for sowing poppy seeds, but this is just an experiment. My questions are: Is my lighting efficient enough for plants to mature indoor, and what is considered a safe stage in plant development for transplant, as i have read these seedlings are very sensitive to transplant.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/knoa/S4020006.jpg
this is a link to a picture of seedlings



Fact is, sping early spring IS the ideal time to sow poppy seeds. In the past I've planted in late fall before the snow falls.
No, your lighting is not suffient for indoor growing. There are growers at poppies.org that use HPS lights for their indoor grows. I'm not saying that your 32 watt tubes won't work, they just aren't the better choice for healthy plants. If you plan on transplanting, what I suggest is leave the whole pot outside for 1 hour today, 2 hours tomorrow maybe go for 3 hours the next day to harden them off a little. Then carefully transplant them to your garden without disturbing the roots. I have serious doubt that any will make it, any that do will be set back in their growth due to stress. What I would do is start from seed now in your garden since it's still early enough. Check out poppies.org for more info. Good Luck!

Edited by Zepplin (04/26/07 07:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Zepplin]
    #6835955 -

1 hour would sunburn them
do 15 minutes at a time and gradually increase time over the course of 2 weeks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: cpw1971]
    #6836263 -

thanks i haven't researched poppies.org yet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: cpw1971]
    #6836342 -

cpw1971 said:
1 hour would sunburn them
  do 15 minutes at a time and gradually increase time over the course of 2 weeks



NOT in the sun!! :wetself: In 2 weeks the they'll never survive the transplant (The root system will be too big). If you want to transplant, it will have to be done soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Zepplin]
    #6836364 -

I read that many times before but not necessarily for poppies though.
look at his pic man
their roots are probably all tangled together anyways

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: cpw1971]
    #6836781 -

As I stated this is just an experiment, so I am now going to try to transplant one of them with tweezers, but like you said the roots are probally all tangled together. Here goes nothing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Knoa6]
    #6836837 -






1-2-3.........we'll see.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poppy seedling transplanting/indoor cultivation under florescent lighting [Re: Knoa6]
    #6837054 -

I'd transplant them all to a 10" pot and after a couple of days kill all but the healthiest... They will need a lot more root-space and as stated earlier, they don't like to be transplanted......


--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Mexicana Poppy Seedlings: Eaten By A Purpertrator. GGreatOne234 1,930 7 10/27/02 08:39 PM
by StInvetroThomas
* My poppy seedlings are dying Holly 3,143 5 03/12/05 09:27 PM
by Fluxburn
* Indoor Cultivators please read. ethnobotany 1,402 7 12/16/04 08:37 PM
by KyKid
* Indoor cultivation of poppies? socratesmind 1,223 6 10/10/02 11:52 AM
by StInvetroThomas
* Poppy seedling with 3 leaves? 8086 808 2 07/26/05 12:44 PM
by 8086
* suicidal succulent seedlings MaryanneNumber 1,730 4 09/02/06 05:58 PM
by Mitchnast
* Poppie Grow Log!(56k Death) liveby 1,031 4 09/08/04 11:02 PM
by liveby
* Peruvian Torch Seedlings Ramlaen 1,367 4 08/05/06 10:42 AM
by Ramlaen

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
5,831 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.