Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

are there any spring actives in the PNW?
    #6797337 - 04/16/07 10:16 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

i've been pretty lucky with finding cyans the past couple fall seasons, not so much this last one, but i was wondering if there are any actives that grow in the Pacific northwest (specifically seattle or olympia areas) during the spring time? i've already found a few black morels and what i think is a lepiota rachodes, but some fun fungi would be nice. thanks y'all!

--------------------
[url=http:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #6798274 - 04/17/07 02:10 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

gymnopilus aeruginosus May to September.panaeolus subbalteatus comes up in spring too.

Edited by coon (04/17/07 03:04 AM)

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: coon]
    #6798334 - 04/17/07 02:47 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

P. stunzii and P. beaocystis, neither of which I have found in Spring, but have been reported to fruit in Spring. Both would be found on fertilized lawns or fertile pastures I think, but not sure.

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: psiclops]
    #6798371 - 04/17/07 03:39 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've been hunting for quite a few years now around the puget sound area from tacoma to seattle, and until today i had never seen any actives in the spring, only in the fall (though i will admit that i've never really gone out and done much active looking in the spring the way i do each fall, i just sort of gaze down at the grass and woodchips naturally from time to time.

Anyway, earlier this afternoon i found quite the little fungal infestation of what at first glance i thought were cyans, then i became even more confused for a minute when i thought they were azures (these were found in seattle).. needless to say i started freaking the fuck out, but then as i finally got down on the ground to begin picking them, i sniffed them quite a bit and examined several different ones, i quickly came to my final conclusion that they are cyanofibs.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong though. For now, here's a quick snapshot of what i grabbed today. I left the majority there and will return tomorrow with a digicam for some nice habitat pics.

((OK. so i just typed all that up and then went to go shoot a pic of the bag, only to find out my cam battery is completely dead and i can't find the charger)). i'll figure it out tomorrow afternoon though and will be sure to slap some pics up here asap.))

If anyone else is finding anything around the PNW this spring i'd love to see/hear about it. First spring find EVER for me today, it was very exciting. And a pretty decent haul at that. It's truly a great feeling when you realize that this year you don't have to wait til October to fill up the ol' jar again...

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: Typingwords]
    #6798386 - 04/17/07 03:54 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I think cyanofibs are a fall mushroom.supposed to come out in september.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6798631 - 04/17/07 07:13 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I picked a whole slew of P. stuntzii in March, posted here inteh hunting forum with pictures. They grow all year long if there is no freeze or frost.

P. subbs. both grow until it is to hot and come back ion the fall when it is not too hot. Sprinkler systems bring them up, mostly on suburban lawns, around office buildings, restaurants, government buildings, boeing offices, cew condos and apartment complexes.

You need to walk neighborhoods day after day. sooner or later you will find them. They are there.

mj

OfflineTypingwords
I'm a teapot

Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6807325 - 04/19/07 01:55 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

well here's some of the pics, taken on tuesday april 17th outside, and the inside ones on wednesday april 18th. While picking them yesterday i decided they were most likely just stuntzii or some other species of blue ringer, and that i had just been thrown off because i'd never picked stuntzii from woodchips before, only in grass. They're a lot thinner in grass.. these are really thick -- the stems are tougher more like cyans, but not quite as tough, which is why i was thinking cyanofibs even though neither of those species would make sense i think. Anyway if anybody can confirm what these are that would be cool.. enjoy. i know i will.

--------------------
forever and ever

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

#6807358 - 04/19/07 02:15 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I started thinking baeos (dark blue bruising, gill color and formation), but I have no idea. If those aren't Psilocybe I would be impressed, and if they are I would be delighted AND impressed.

Edited by psiclops (04/19/07 02:24 AM)

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

#6807370 - 04/19/07 02:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

You should probably create a new thread with this topic.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #6807967 - 04/19/07 09:27 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

The large batch are P. stuntzii however the one you are holding in your fingers is P. baeocystis.

That is identified for the pleated edged cap of the mushroom you are holding.

btw, Lawn blue ringers can have stems just as thick as those in wood chip mulch beds.

Their height and thickness depend on the height of the grasses they are growing in. I have picked many blue ringers as big as cyans and wavy caps to boot.

mj

OfflineTypingwords
I'm a teapot

Re: are there any spring actives in the PNW? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6808756 - 04/19/07 01:13 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

So, does this mean that baeos grow in the spring sometimes? i've read information that says they can grow as early as june.. Has there ever been any recorded findings of baeos this early in the year?

There are quite a few other similar ones in this batch that resemble the one i'm holding in my hand, with the pleated edged caps and intense bluing that i've never seen with blue ringers before.

MJ, i know what saying about stuntzii's being as big and wide as cyans sometimes, i've found that as well. I think i mis-worded what i meant to say.. it's not that the caps are "thicker" as in width, but i meant in as far as the overall density of the stems. The stems of cyans have always seemed a lot more compact and stiffer than those of stuntzii's, the stuntzii stems that i have found are generally more watery and not as substantial. I've noticed the same effect with cyans though that i've found growing in grass, oftentimes the stems will be seemingly "weaker", just not as tough than the ones woodchip ones. I guess that's the word i am looking for: "toughness". Regardless of how small or big they are, these stuntzii's are just surprisingly tough.

--------------------
forever and ever

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

#6809052 - 04/19/07 02:26 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

there are alot of variables that play on the heartiness or lacktherof in shrooms. With different environments (substrate, weather, surrounding plants, strain, etc.) comes different variations of the same species.

Yes, beaos do grow and have been found in the Spring. I was unaware that woodmulch was a good place to find them in Spring tho. Very interesting, and GREAT finds. Very rare find indeed. I'd like to hunt with you some time. If you're interested PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder