Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Re: Potent straw substrate
    #66857 - 11/30/99 02:03 PM (17 years, 8 days ago)

WildStrain, sure it could! The problem is that the beauty of straw is that it colonizes in an unsterile environment whereas brown rice does not.

Some folks do, however, supplement their straw with some amount of high-nitrogen supplement like brown rice flour or rice bran. There are two schools of thought here. Some people mix the supplement in after the straw has completely colonized; others, before. Those that do it before, play a more risky game, but if they make it, they reach the fruiting stage faster. Those that do it after, take the safe but longer route to fruiting. Supplementation is covered in depth in several books. I can cover it in more detail if you'd like.

ShroomGod

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePipes of Pan
journeyman
Re: Potent straw substrate
    #66859 - 11/30/99 04:32 PM (17 years, 8 days ago)

Hey ShroomGod,

I am thinking about an experiment with the supplementation of a mix of horse manure and straw. My thoughts are to add some wheat bran to the straw and manure mix and pressure cook it for a couple of hours. Then an amount of peroxide would be added to the batch when it was cool. According to Rush Wayne's book, the sterilization would destroy the peroxide decomposing enzymes. I know that this works on the bran, at least, as I have tested sterilized bran, and no reaction to the peroxide takes place. I also know that it is not recommened to strerilize the straw, but the peroxide would seem to render it more resistant to competitors. The idea is to hopefully make a more vigorous mycelium that would yeild more potent and larger specimens.
What are your thoughts on this? I am seriously thinking of trying this, but am not keen on the idea of losing jars to a wild experiment. Your input would be appreciated.

------------------
Pipes of Pan

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation