Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlacebo
Re: ShroomGod's Hum. Tek Question
    #66642 - 10/28/99 11:59 PM (24 years, 5 months ago)

I picked up all the suplies for a cool mist set up today, and just got done putting it all together. It looks really nice, as I fitted the humidifier and two chambers with hose couplings that allow the hoses to be connected and disconnected easily, without having them permanently attached to anything. Suffice to say I'm pretty proud of my work, and excited about getting it running. I found a pre-cut 10 foot section of clear 5/8 inch inner diameter tubing for a little over $2 at my local hardware mega-store. Ten feet is more than enough for this project, and I prefer the clear hose so that I'll be able to see blockages and stuff. And it was cheaper than the cheapest garden hose ($7).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: ShroomGod's Hum. Tek Question [Re: Placebo]
    #66643 - 10/29/99 10:41 AM (24 years, 5 months ago)

Cogito, one difference of the ultrasonic is that the mist is much, much finer than the cool mist unit. Additionally, the cool mist is different in that it produces a lot more air output, although compared to anything else either unit produces plenty of gas exchange in most cases. Lastly, a cool mist unit is anywhere from half to a fourth the cost of an ultrasonic.

To be honest, I've never tried to demist the ultrasonic output with an extra length of hose. It might work, but bear in mind that if the hose gets too long, problems can arise. For example, air resistance is proportional to hose length; that is, a longer hose will take more pressure to push the air down it; hence, a longer hose will reduce the output. Another, and far more important, issue is making sure there is no low spot along all that hose that can pool water and shut off the air flow; with a longer hose, that gets harder. Still, I guess there's no way to tell other than try! Tell me what you find!

I recommended a garden hose because around here it is much cheaper per unit length than clear hose (which I'd actually perfer to use otherwise). I can get a 50-foot cheap garden hose for about $7, and that's enough hose to last the rest of my life and be wasteful at the same time. But if you can get a clear plastic hose for cheaper, definitely go for it! I'd just be careful to not get too wide of hose since you'd have to cut a wider hose longer to demist the same.

ShroomGod

[This message has been edited by ShroomGod (edited October 29, 1999).]

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #66645 - 10/29/99 01:42 AM (24 years, 5 months ago)

Damn Placebo, your right in front of me. This is my 3rd or 4th post right after yours. :smile: I'm about to set up one of these as well. Man, Placebo and myself are doing just about all the same things with the same strains! BTW Lowes sells clear tubing in my area for about 9 cents a foot. That's uh, wait a minute 4.50 for 50 ft, right? Cheaper than a hose. BTW, I've got a cool mist and a ultrasonic, once it's going, I'll do them back to back and report yields for each.
Peace.

------------------
I can't go on talking like this. I just had a mental picture of Angel....
Now I'm speechless.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#66646 - 11/01/99 12:51 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you soooo much for the info and congrats on the new title!

Anonymous

#66647 - 11/07/99 02:29 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I went out and got a 25 foot 5/8 inner diameter garden hose and set up with my ultrasonic. I have 3 16-gallon sterilite tubs stacked vertically inside of a wooden closet thing. The hoses have different lengths because I ran them in from the top of the closet.

6.0 feet= shortest hose=most output
7.5 feet= middle length
I think the other is about 8.5 feet

All hoses have plenty of output. The problem is that all hoses still have a mist which I can see, even though the unit is on the lowest setting. The length of the hose doesn't seem to be "de-misting" the air at all...or at least not nearly enough. I saw some cool mist units at Target for $30. I'll hit up Walmart for the cheaper versions.
Another dumb question. Assuming temp will stay constant, is it possible to have too much air flow? The Ultrasonic tek with long hoses might work but it seems very breezy in the terrrarium. All of the air in the tank is replaced every 15 seconds.

Anonymous

#66648 - 11/07/99 11:59 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Cognito, yes, as I feared, the output of an ultrasonic seems to not be "demistable." I have to admit I never tried it though, but I'll keep your research in mind next time someone asks.

As for the too much air flow question; first, no question is a dumb question but the one unasked. Second, no, I don't believe there is a thing as too much air flow. You'll get very natural looking fruits just as the "air flow" outside is nearly infinite. If you are looking for certain characterisitics, like a longer stem and smaller cap, then of course, you might want to intentionally restrict the airflow. This is sometimes done for elm oysters and related mushrooms in Japan for example. I don't see any bennefit to doing it with cubensis though.

ShroomGod

Anonymous

#66649 - 11/09/99 05:19 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Cool...
Sorry to keep pestering but...
Since I've got the hoses all set up with their lengths ranging between 6-8.5 feet, do you think that those lengths are too long for a cool-mist unit? I haven't got one and don't know of the output power and the level of humidity that yours puts out for your 1.5 length hoses. I'm planning on drilling 4 holes in the cool mist to use for 4 different terrariums. The only catch is that two of the terrariums are only for backup (my old 3 foot fridge is one and the other is currently an incubator.) So that leaves two-16 gallon tubs that I'll be using primarily and the others for back-up when I finally get a chance to experiment with other species and perfect casing. I'll plug the extra two output holes on the cool mist until needed. My questions are:
1. Do you think that the cool mist unit (the $10 one) can support a total of four terrariums, each about 16 gallons or so with hoses ranging from 6-8.5 feet with inner diameter of 5/8 inch? Each tub is 12 inches high by 20 inches wide by 10 inches deep...approximately. The fridge has about the same inside air space.

2. Do you think the humidity/airflow would decrease to an undesirable level by using the two spare terrariums in conjunction with the primary two? I don't know the output levels.

3. With such long hoses, do you think that enough humidity will reach the terrariums? I'm assuming that you've played with yours before you settled on the length of your hoses.

4. Do you see any trouble in the fact that the hoses (1 per terrarium) will all be different lengths. I know the longest will have less output but if the unit is strong enough, it should be enough. My worry is that the shortest hose might overhumidify that tank (if that's possible without it producing mist) while the longest hose-terrarium might not receive enough humidity. I know that all of the hoses had oodles of output from my ultra-sonic and you claim that the output of a cool mist is greater than an ultra-sonic so I don't think that there would be such a significant range of humidity between the terrariums.

5. How loud are the cool mist units? The bigger the louder?

I hope all of this makes sense. I started out with one question and then it just all came back to me. Anyhoo, I really appreciate your insight, experience, time, patience, encouragement, help, and attention. I don't expect you to solve all of my problems but if you have any ideas or opinions it would help. I'm getting a cool mist in a day or two and might get 2 if necessary. I'd rather not for the sake of the money and noise and more importantly the plug outlets are already full from my heat pads and such...
Blah blah blah...sorry for the wordiness but I've been up for 36 hours and I just finished a philosophy final.

Look forward to your wisdom...

[This message has been edited by Cogito (edited November 09, 1999).]

Anonymous

#66650 - 11/11/99 04:09 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Since I've got the hoses all set up with their lengths ranging between 6-8.5 feet, do you think that those lengths are too long for a cool-mist unit?

Yes. The output will be greatly reduced by the excessive length, not to mention, water will probably pool somewhere in the hose over time (unless you laid it really carefully).

1. Do you think that the cool mist unit (the $10 one) can support a total of four terrariums, each about 16 gallons or so with hoses ranging from 6-8.5 feet with inner diameter of 5/8 inch? Each tub is 12 inches high by 20 inches wide by 10 inches deep...approximately. The fridge has about the same inside air space.

No, it cannot. In the current version of my Humidifier Tek specifically warns against using over two outputs. Each output, however, could easily service a TWO tubes with the dimensions you describe. I'd recommend purchasing a couple T connectors at your local hardware store. They should cost less than a dollar a piece.

2. Do you think the humidity/airflow would decrease to an undesirable level by using the two spare terrariums in conjunction with the primary two? I don't know the output levels.

No. You don't need a lot of airflow, just CONSTANT airflow. These ultrasonic minutes-on-hours-off cycles just won't cut it.

3. With such long hoses, do you think that enough humidity will reach the terrariums? I'm assuming that you've played with yours before you settled on the length of your hoses.

You are pushing it with the hose lengths. I'd try to keep them under 4 feet, but honestly, I've never tried hoses that long.

4. Do you see any trouble in the fact that the hoses (1 per terrarium) will all be different lengths. I know the longest will have less output but if the unit is strong enough, it should be enough. My worry is that the shortest hose might overhumidify that tank (if that's possible without it producing mist) while the longest hose-terrarium might not receive enough humidity. I know that all of the hoses had oodles of output from my ultra-sonic and you claim that the output of a cool mist is greater than an ultra-sonic so I don't think that there would be such a significant range of humidity between the terrariums.

Overhumidification is a term that refers to saturation of materials via mist. Nothing bad will happen with cubensis regardless of how much MISTLESS air you run in to your terrarium as long as the flow isn't so high as to blow over the fruiting bodies.

5. How loud are the cool mist units? The bigger the louder?

Relatively quiet compared to aquarium pumps. I find the sound pleasing and it helps me sleep. Others might take a different view.

Good luck!
ShroomGod

Anonymous

#66651 - 11/20/99 03:22 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I got Kaz 2.5 gallon Cool Mist Humidifier. I hooked it up to 2 of the terrariums (one hose each) with each hose at 2 feet in length. Cold air is coming out of the hose but it's not humid enough. I've even tried just using the one hose and blocking off the other so that only one terrarium is receiving all of the humidifiers output. It still is not enough humidity and my test cake is drying out. I keep spraying but within 12-15 hours its all dryed up again. After I spray, the cheap ass humidity gauge reads about 60, but if I don't spray then it reads about 40.
My other cakes are ready to birth, What's going on?
It's not the hose length.
It's not the hose diameter.
It's not the number of hoses (1 or 2)
The hoses are not submerged under the water level inside the humidifier,

The only thing that I can think of is that I need to connect 2 hoses per terrarium to achieve the desired humidity level per terrarium. I hope that this is not the case or I need to worry about buying more of these at $22 each and where to put them and how to conceil their noise.

Am I neglecting something obvious or what?
Your Ultimate Tray is a bigger container and is supported by a smaller humidifier (same kind though)but with 2 hoses. I guess I'll connect two hoses per terrarium and see.

Another thought: The hum. box said that maximum output would not be had until after the unit was used for a couple of times and 'broken in'. By leaving it on 24/7, would that break it in or do I have to turn it on and off over a couple of days. I'm thinking that maybe it's just not maximizing its potential as a humidifier yet, but it seems that it should be doing a lot better than what it is doing.

[This message has been edited by Cogito (edited November 20, 1999).]

Anonymous

#66652 - 11/20/99 10:02 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Cognito, the humidifier will provide a stream of humid air in the 90% humidity area. This is ideal for fruiting. There is no way it can be producing a 60% humidity unless it is totally jammed up inside and doing virtually nothing. You might want to check the calibration of that humidity guage. Some are worth the plastic they are made from. Also, your terrarium needs to be nearly airtight. You need only enough holes to provide exhaust, nothing more.

ShroomGod

Anonymous

#66653 - 11/21/99 02:53 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, it's been a while since I've been in this phase of production. Shouldn't the mycelium cake still be fluffy and cottony, at least on the surface? Mine looks like it is really dried out and I even keep spraying the vermiculite (which was the seal when it was in the jar) with water.
I think I remember last year that some of my cakes were very fluffy and cottony when the humidity was right.

I tried hooking up the one terrarium with two input hoses and the humidity guage didn't change. I guess I'll just trust that all is well and put in another test cake since the first hasn't even pinned yet. Temp is ranging 80-90.

I also tried using one input from the cool-mist unit and the other from the ultra-sonic unit and the humidity guage didn't budge again so it must be useless.

I'll seal it as air tight as possible and allow limited exaust to increase humidity to its max. Thanks again for all your help.

Anonymous

#66654 - 11/21/99 04:53 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

take your hygrometer and wrap it with a damp cloth for 30 minutes, and after thirty minutes, if it says 100% humidity, then it's calibrated right, if not, calibrate reading if possible.
Oleander

------------------
Do you answer questions, or question answers?

Anonymous

#66655 - 11/21/99 06:06 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

just a couple of questions.....but first a little background info.
I used to use the perlite tek for humidification. I never (ever) have used a hygrometer to check humidity. The perlite tek worked fine but it was the biggest pain in the arse to clean.
ANYWAY.......
Last week I purchased a cool mist (White Westinghouse, 2.5 gallon) and have set it up with five output hoses feeding three aquariums (10,10 and 20 gallon respectively). The longest hose is into a ten gallon aquarium and is about 3 feet in length. It is producing good airflow.
My question is this. When I spray the sides of the aquariums, the moisture is evaporated within 6-7 hrs. I currently have 30 cakes in the aquariums (B+'s). They look dry to me. Is it possible that the humidity is too low with the cool mist????
I am afraid of misting directly because contams have killed me before when misting directly onto the cakes. I need some info......maybe it's time to buy a hygrometer? Or maybe I should just continue to mist the sides of the aquariums??
Please help.

Tor

Anonymous

#66656 - 11/23/99 06:11 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I've got a Kaz 2.5 gallon cool mist unit with 2 outputs going to 16 gallon terrariums and when I spray it evaporates within a short time as well. My test cake is very dry even though I keep spraying the verm layer underneath it and all around it. I'm trying to seal up the terrarium's as best as possible and then I'll determine what's going on. Your other thread had a suggestion from ShroomGod to aim the input into a glass of water to raise humidity. I'll try that tonight. I hope that the glass idea or the sealing idea work because I've got 12 Pf's ready to birth in a day or two...
Unfortunatly, I bought the wrong kind of sealant to seal up my terr. I wanted to get the clear silicone stuff but I accidentally picked up a big tube of gasket maker...what a mess! I'll try the glass idea on both the sealed tand and the unsealed tank and see whats up...

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #66657 - 11/23/99 11:49 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

my guess is that the humidifier is breaking in. Don't know how long that takes though.
That, or you got one of those wick type cool mist humidifiers. Those things suck. You need one with the crazy vortex thing.

Yes Cogito, the cakes should be somewhat fluffy and deffinatly not dry.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

#66658 - 11/27/99 01:06 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Got back home late Friday night to find the test cake completely dried out. Before I left for thanksgiving wednesday evening, I put a pint glass (1/2 full) in the terrarium with the cool mist input leading into it. Upon returning, half of the water is gone. The tank was not sealed but I'm working on it.
Since that cake is COMPLETELY dried out, can I revive it by casing it, or is it dead? I don't really mind if it is dead, but I would like to perform a ressurection for him since he gave his life testing the environmental conditions for the rest of his batch.

Anonymous

#66659 - 11/30/99 12:15 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

Cogito, I'm sorry to hear your death. I can't say what's wrong here since I've personally used cool mist with bare mycelium several times now and nothing dried out. Others have repeated those success. I did, however, notice that you mentioned the temperature range was 80-90F.

This range is well outside of the optimal fruiting range of cubensis. Only a few strains will even tolerate those temperatures well (PF and Ecuadorian come to mind). I have never tested the cool mist unit given those temperatures. I've always used the 70-75F degree range or, with B+, even lower. Maybe that had something to do with things.

Consider that warmer air holds a lot more water than cooler air. If say 85F air was only 90% humid and moving, it'd still have a lot of moisture it could evaporate out of a cake. 75F moving air at 90% RH, on the other hand, couldn't evaporate near the water. I don't know; it's just a theory.

ShroomGod

[This message has been edited by ShroomGod (edited November 30, 1999).]

Anonymous

#66660 - 12/02/99 02:22 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds plausible. I keep spraying a couple times a day and the water keeps evaporating.
A little bit of an update. I've sealed the terrariums pretty good and have the air blowing in a glass of water. Should the water in the glass be evaporating or collecting? My input hose has yet to drip or produce any condensation so I keep adding water to the glass as it evaporates.
Got a digital hygrometer that is more accurate than not. It read 97% when I completely soaked the terr. After spraying, it usually reads about 90-93 for a while, and as the water evaporates, it settles at about 80-84%. I'm guesssing the humidity is actually a little higher. Anyhoo, I've birthed three more test cakes, cased two of them in 4 seperate little cake dishes (like cup-cake or muffin things) 50/50 style. I'll lower the temp and see how things work out.
Time to brush up on my Fruiting Dance...

Anonymous

#66661 - 12/05/99 05:06 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Wow...that was easy. I turned off my heat pad lowering my temp to about 70-74 and my humidity went up to 94-99%. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
Now if I could just get my cake to pin, I'll birth the rest of 'em...
I guess cold shocking would do it. I keep overlooking the obvious.

One more tech question. You mentioned that I shouldn't use more than two outputs from the cool mist unit. Why?
Is this from experience or just to be safe?
Would it matter if my...unit was...bigger...he he...? Mine is 2.5 gallon so maybe the output is a little more or maybe it just holds more water. I don't know. I get plenty of output from my two existing outputs hoses.
I'm only asking because you emphasized it as an important thing not to do.

[This message has been edited by Cogito (edited December 05, 1999).]

Anonymous

#66662 - 12/07/99 08:38 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Cogito, my recommendation comes from reports I gathered that the Kaz units fail to drive over two outputs with much air. I have not made any first hand confirmation of this, but the information did come from a seemingly reputable person. Try it and tell me what happens if you'd like. I'd sure like to hear if it works for you!

ShroomGod

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates