Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Blue and Yellow Oysters
    #6447451 -

I just got some blue and yellow oyster culture syringes. All I've got to sterilize with is my pressure cooker and an alcohol lamp. I was planning to inoculate sterilized grain in a canning jar and then either just fruit them right off of the grain or transferring them to a straw substrate or something like that... Does this sound like the right thing to be doing with these syringes? Any advice?


--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #6447479 -

you could do that, infact thats prob what most would do.

I wouldn't fruit from the jar thow, you would just get a handfull of mushrooms maybe.

I myself havn't got the nerve to mess with pasterizein straw yet, nor have i messed with casings....what ive been doing is taking filter patch bags and filling them up with 4 parts wbs .5 parts sawdust and a dash of used coffee grounds.

fill a bag up to about 1-2 inches of the filter patch and when that thing fruits you will have a decent crop....and you don't have to mess with cleaning jars either.


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6447501 -

Oysters fruit poorly off of straight grain. I'd inoculate the grains, then use those after full colonization to inoculate the straw.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6448317 -

If I were to use straw am I going to need a lot of room? I've seen lots of pictures of big bags of fruiting oysters hanging from a ceiling... can I fruit them in a large plastic bin or something? This is my first attempt at cultivating oysters so I don't really know what I'm doing yet. Also, should I keep my culture syringes in the fridge until I use them?


--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #6458184 -

You can use a laudry basket, there´s another post on it, check it out here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6448671/an/0/page/0


FH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: felixhigh]
    #6459472 -

If you want to use a simple substrate that really pumps out a good flush with Oyster's, use newspaper. Newspaper is really simple to use. I use 1 sunday paper without the inserts and 1 quart of grain spawn per project. Some of the inserts have staples in them that don't feel so good in the hands when you're ringing out the paper. Use a 1/4 cup of bleach to 2.5 gallons of cold tap water and allow the paper to soak for a few hours in the bleach water. Simply take handfulls of the paper out and gently ring them out. Then load doubled up plastic grocery bags with the paper and spawn in layers. Like a 1" layer of paper and then cover that layer with a few spoon fulls of broken up grain spawn and so on until the paper and spawn are gone. You want the last layer (the top layer) to be paper. Then simply take the handles from the bags and tie them into a knot like you would your shoe strings. Don't double knot it, just one so you can untie it easily. Then press down on the project pretty good so it gets compacted. You don't have to stand on it, but do compress it well. Then simply allow the project 2 weeks for colonization and then introduce it to the Oyster strains proper fruiting conditions. Easy as pie and really works well. I love it for a few projects of Oyster's.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6459710 -

Do you tear the newspaper into thin strips before you spawn to it? Was thinking of doing that with cardboard boxes....cutting it into 'chips' sort of. It would be time consuming, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hypercube]
    #6459780 -

Na, when you ring it out it turns into a paper ball. Simply split the ball into chunks when loading the bags. It goes really fast and is a simple as it gets. Compared to straw it's so much heavier and far better of a performing substrate with Oyster's. By a long shot IMO.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6460545 -

I think I'll give that a try. I've got some old phone books I need to dispose of.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6460718 -

Ack! That's what i'm doing in the morning for fun. I'll race ya!  :smile2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6461285 -

My grain spawn isn't ready yet. You'll probably beat me. I won't be starting it for at least a week.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6461550 -

I'm just joking. I was going to use the remainder of my spawn to use on a phone book myself. Just for the heck of it. But I think the Ms. done trashed them all. I had about 5 books here that were doing nothing but taking up space. lol. I figured they'd come in handy for shroom food, along with the ton of newspapers I have stored away as well.  :biggrin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6473061 -

Thanks for the suggestions! I inoculated 6 spawn jars of WBS about 4 days ago with the blue oysters and I am starting to see mycelium growth in all the jars... as soon as they are ready I think I'm gonna try the newspaper.


--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #6473308 -

I'm in the process of documenting how I prepare my Oyster's on newspaper. I can show you the whole cleaning of the newspaper and spawning parts if you want?

I'm a cheap bastard, so I also use plastic grocery bags for substrates too. They work really nice believe it or not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6473369 -

That would be awesome!
Looking forward to it!

*taps foot on ground, waiting for cultures to arrive*


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hypercube]
    #6474540 -

Ok. By the time you get your cultures and have your grain colonized, i'll be done with the projects (fruiting) and will show you how. It's easy as pie and very effective.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6475409 -

Awesome! I'd love to know anything you have to tell... Perhaps you should post it in a new thread so the information is available to everyone?


--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #6529404 -

Have you nearly got your spawn ready PC? I'm almost ready for you. The block started pinning like mad yesterday. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6529524 -

yeah its done... I was actually *just* thinking about how I should start to do it.


--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Blue and Yellow Oysters [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #6529980 -

Ok. Give me a few hours to get the pictures re-sized and organized (and myself). I'll start a thread for the technique. It's very simple.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Oysters on a toilet paper roll
( 1 2 all )
Peterthinks 5,308 29 12/23/04 12:15 PM
by ragadinks
* Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture psyconaut 5,510 10 11/07/02 12:51 PM
by psyconaut
* Help me choose an oyster grow kit distortion 1,431 4 04/09/04 12:31 PM
by distortion
* yellow oyster.. the man 614 0 04/15/05 11:27 PM
by the man
* Oysters from spores? Peace_Patrol 3,679 11 08/21/02 10:40 AM
by aural
* Oyster Mycobag, open or not? waixingren 2,235 12 05/16/05 02:38 PM
by waixingren
* Why won't my king oyster caps get any bigger? mr_meeseeks 1,771 10 05/09/21 05:25 AM
by sendmehummus
* questions on blue oyster *DELETED* flameclown 2,880 7 03/25/10 03:48 AM
by biologys

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, Forrester, Stromrider, SHROOMSISAY01
5,545 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 18 queries.