Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Insect problem
    #6368305 - 12/13/06 10:32 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well I started my first bulk straw grow with a cube strain a couple months ago, everything went fine from inoculation to spawn run. I cased it with Jiffy Mix, the wrong, perlite, kind, and waited for the layer to colonize. Colonization took way longer than it should have and once the mycelium was showing on the surface, I discovered that a bunch of small, flying insects had made my straw bin their home. At first i didn't really think anything of it until the bin pinned. Pinning was pathetic with only 5 or 6 visible pins. Now it's been a week since it pinned and some of the pinned mushrooms are even missing! Is there any way i can salvage my bin or do I have to start anew? any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--------------------
Be the change that you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Insect problem [Re: Gandhi]
    #6368343 - 12/13/06 10:40 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

fly paper, get it at a natural foods place so it wont have pesticides and gross stuff. Also try and identify the bugs and i am sure there are herbs that will drive them away. You could also try hanging a bag of water in the tub, that keeps flys away.

If the bugs have been there too long, chances are they laid eggggsss and their may be larvae around eeatting your mushrooms and cakes.....

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Insect problem [Re: xburn]
    #6368871 - 12/14/06 01:32 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

yah them bastereds are a pain in the ass, I had a jar of reishi going and it got hit by like 3 of them flys. I smashed them and they came back in about a week. Then I smashed them and then drowned the entire jar in water for a day....They disapeared for a whole month(in a sealed container mind you). Then my reishi fruited and then it started to rot...i couldn't find out why.

Then about a 2 weeks later (i check it every day) boom about 10 flys in their.....a few days later 20 flys.....the jar still sits because im afriad to open my rubber maid and let them all loose. Ive tryed spraying oust in their to kill them but it didn't work...I think I only made it easier for them to breath.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Insect problem [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6368953 - 12/14/06 01:59 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You could always soak in h2o2 water, i donno how bugs take to that.

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#6368963 - 12/14/06 02:02 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hopefully the flys won't bring contam with them, That's what Iwould be worried about.

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Re: Insect problem [Re: MAGnum]
    #6370871 - 12/14/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well i'm pretty sure there's eggs and larva in there because some of the pins have turned up missing. The only practical thing i can think to do is to scrap the whole thing. If anyone has any other suggestions, please respond.

--------------------

Invisibleethnoeste
ethno
 User Gallery

#6370935 - 12/14/06 04:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Gandhi said:
Well I started my first bulk straw grow with a cube strain a couple months ago, everything went fine from inoculation to spawn run. I cased it with Jiffy Mix, the wrong, perlite, kind, and waited for the layer to colonize. Colonization took way longer than it should have and once the mycelium was showing on the surface, I discovered that a bunch of small, flying insects had made my straw bin their home. At first i didn't really think anything of it until the bin pinned. Pinning was pathetic with only 5 or 6 visible pins. Now it's been a week since it pinned and some of the pinned mushrooms are even missing! Is there any way i can salvage my bin or do I have to start anew? any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you pasteurize? Just curious. Would like to avoid this scenario.

OfflineGandhi
Stranger

Re: Insect problem [Re: ethnoeste]
    #6372288 - 12/14/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I pasteurized the casing layer by turning my oven on warm and 'baking' it in the oven. I dont think this worked very well and next time i will pasteurize the casing layer similarly to the straw.

--------------------

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
    #6372312 - 12/14/06 10:44 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

man i am a big fan of the bug bombs you can get the ones that just contane perithreins or some thing like that its a poison made from marrygoldes and is only toxic for a few hours and then afterward its safe ,fly are super sinsative to that kinda poison , just a quick fogong with a bug bommb and them mofo will be gone

--------------------
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds