Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint????
    #6362286 -

So last year i bought some small mouth pint jars and thought they would be perfect for lc's. I am starting not to like them. They are too small for swirling. I have 1/2 gallon wide mouth and they are great but who can use 1500cc's of liquid culture before it goes bad, beside Agar? So now i am back to quarts. I just bought a 12'er of small mouth quarts. I think the tapered lid will help direct and slashes that occur during swirling back down and away from the polyfill and lid. I have noticed on the wide mouth 1/2 gallon jars that the centrifugal force of swirling will allow the liquid to rise dangerously close to the top. So I will post my findings.
Anyone else have any tips?


--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.


My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe]
    #6362318 -

i've come to the same conclusion as you, and prefer small-mouth quarts, no more than half full of solution.

though i do use smaller jars in some instances, like if i'm cloning and want to get half a dozen samples or so going where i don't necessarily need a lot of culture but also don't want to waste the space of having a bunch of large jars, or if i want to store samples in the fridge for extended periods (again to save space), but then i regularly transfer some from the small jar into a small-mouth quart and work from that on a day to day basis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe] * 1
    #6362397 -


I prefer a jar with a shoulder for LC.
So, regular mouth quarts, or 1/2 gallons.
Because of the swirling thing you describe.

I do a pint of LC in a quart jar.
And, a quart in a half gallon.
My half gallons have a shoulder.

My preferred LC nutrients are:
Light Dry Malt & dry Dextrose.
(beer brew supply store)
1 level tablespoon each, to a quart of boiling water.
Which will turn beer color, if PC'ed a bit long.

For a clearer solution, cut the Malt amount in half.

Or, PC about 15 minutes at 12 psi.
(assuming solution was boiled first)



No stir plate, drop a marble in the jar pre-PC.
(agitator device)

For lids, I have injection ports & permanent filters.


You can make a functional lid, using tubing.



Or, whatever/however you prefer.

RTV silicone will make a port, dabbed on over a lid hole.
Tyvek taped over a second hole with Micropore tape, works for gas exchange.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: agar]
    #6362496 -

i wish i had a stir plate. Maybe i will check out the price on ebay, then again i dont want to get carried away with this stuff again. Ther are only some many strains, ports, buttons, shiitake, oyster


--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.


My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe]
    #6362504 -

agar, where did you get those injection ports. Silicon works but sometimes comes loose and tears and chunks


--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.


My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe]
    #6362569 -

tahoe said:
agar, where did you get those injection ports. Silicon works but sometimes comes loose and tears and chunks



I get them from a supply place.
Has a large minimum order.

Good ones can be found HERE:
Scroll down to "rubber stoppers"
Click on photo link, for color picture.
I think they have a $20 minimum order.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe]
    #6362599 -

I started out with small jars because of the size of my PC, and still prefer to use pint wide mouth jars. If you use the injection ports (or sealant, which is what I use), and place the filter tube in the center of the lid, you can swirl the heck out of them and the solution stays plastered to the side of the jar, away from the filter.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: Rahz]
    #6362626 -

rahz, any pics. Is there enough room in the middle of a small moth lid for both right next to each other?
20 minimun order=200 stoppers. Lifetime supply

Edit: 2 packs of plugers, sleeve of petris, and an alcohol burner


--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.


My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Edited by tahoe (12/12/06 06:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: tahoe]
    #6362811 -

The trick is the flat sides, but if you're using quart jars, it shouldn't matter much either way.





--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Edited by Rahz (12/12/06 06:47 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: Rahz]
    #6362854 -

I like half pints because I find it difficult to use the standard needles to aspirate the LC. You have to pretty much tilt the jar upside down. I use a simple hole with micropore over it and it becomes a mess and you can't then put your now wet filter back into the incubator to use at a later tiem. So if you can't suck it all up, you waste some. I'll be ordering some vacutainers soon so I'll make some ports for my next LC that way I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #6363963 -

Man,Im using the baby bottles with silicone filled nipples,I feel like a caveman :dielaughing:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6363968 -

Seriously though,they work great and with two sharp shards of broken glass they shred everything to bits and you can shake the hell out of them with out having to worry about anything getting wet,and they do get plenty thick enough as long as you use honey and not karo,Why make things harder than they need be ??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best Jar for Lc's? Baby bottle, quart, gallon, pint???? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6364006 -

I do a variety of jars just using household waste type: olives, jam, stuff, salsa things like that - free don't need to buy anything just save. Usually holding less than a pint, but never less than about a half pint. I extract using a 4" needle most of the time just through polyfil or micropore.

I use a penny for my stir object in my LC jars for good luck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Gerber baby bottle sterilizer Poopypants 2,257 3 07/28/01 07:47 AM
by Poopypants
* Quart jars- Ok to sit for 24hrs before press.cook? quart_o_cunt 3,145 2 10/25/01 07:28 AM
by Teiro
* gallon jars done ellisdee625 2,828 12 05/16/02 04:19 PM
by erotomania
* Pint vs. Half Pint Jars SWiTtles 4,422 6 09/28/05 01:56 AM
by ADoobie
* Great way to sterilize jars..... GreyMatter 612 2 05/30/02 02:49 AM
by GreyMatter
* Clean Jars DOONEY 1,027 2 12/08/01 09:26 AM
by Anonymous
* Inoculate hundreds of jars at a time bassplayer74 2,202 16 11/25/01 08:34 AM
by Mklangelo
* PC and Quart jars happygrins 1,715 6 09/12/02 09:32 AM
by Shaw

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
4,451 topic views. 17 members, 81 guests and 90 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.