Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDarkcloud
‮tiwkcuFtsilihiN
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft
    #6299257 - 11/19/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The
Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

I don't think this will pass...but who knows?

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/pl_nm/usa_politics_draft_dc

--------------------
:poison: :poison: :poison:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: Darkcloud]
    #6299271 - 11/19/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

im all for it...

then again, im exempt  :smile:

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6299273 - 11/19/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

A repeat of his same nonsense from two+ years ago. No chance at all.

--------------------

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
    #6299735 - 11/19/06 04:30 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Darkcloud said:
Quote:

The Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft,

:rofl2:
well, no actually more like  :sad:

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6300658 - 11/19/06 09:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, but zap, you can't say you weren't warned. People (some in this very forum, as I recall) told you in 2004 that if you voted for Bush, before you knew it there'd be moves to bring back the draft. And sure enough, you voted for Bush and now there is a push to bring back the draft.

It's all your fault.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6300699 - 11/19/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I think what's hypocritical is complaining that people paid to be in the armed services shouldn't have to fight if called upon to do so.

Why are we sending checks to reservists and enlistees every month if we're just going to hold a draft before going to war?

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: Economist]
    #6300908 - 11/19/06 10:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If we had a draft that equally takes kids from rich republican families, Bush would have never started the Iraq war. A draft is much fairer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #6300963 - 11/19/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Who on earth is stupid enough to propose a draft when the only real troop shortage is a result of refusing to deploy more of the troops that we already have?

Have we started pulling out politicians out of special-ed classes? Did I inadvertently vote for someone who wears a bicycle helmet 24/7?

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6300971 - 11/19/06 10:40 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

A draft is much fairer.

You have a very odd definition of "fair".

With an all-volunteer military, someone who wants to be a soldier can apply and -- if accepted -- become one, while someone who has no wish to be a soldier is in no danger of becoming one. How much fairer can you get?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: Phred]
    #6301711 - 11/20/06 03:50 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

> Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft

Somehow, when I read the above, I see a motive of: "Hey, look at me! I'm on top of the world! We won the election. Hey! Pay attention to me! Start the draft. Look at me! Hey! Woohoo! We won! Look at me! Lookie lookie lookie!!! Damnit, pay attention to me! Woohoo! We Won, we won!"

... in other words, he is using the threat of "draft legislation", something that has no hope in the world of passing, as a tool to get people to talk about the issue. Of course, when the enemy uses fear as a tool, we call it terrorism.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: Seuss]
    #6302038 - 11/20/06 08:51 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Even Rangel says in print and on television that he knows this has no chance of passing and that its just a publicity stunt...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
    #6302142 - 11/20/06 09:42 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

A draft is much fairer.

You have a very odd definition of "fair".

With an all-volunteer military, someone who wants to be a soldier can apply and -- if accepted -- become one, while someone who has no wish to be a soldier is in no danger of becoming one. How much fairer can you get?

Phred

Take a look at where the military actively recruits. It's not in the rich neighborhoods, but in the poor ones. A few patriotic young people enlist regardless of their financial status, but the overwhelming majority of new soldiers join for financial reasons because of the sad state of the economy. It beats working at wal-mart.

A draft would spread the burden around. There should be few reasons for exceptions so people like dick cheney wouldn't be able to avoid the draft by enrolling in college.

It's hard to argue that bush or the congress would have rushed into Iraq if any of their own sons or daughters were in the active military.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6302366 - 11/20/06 11:04 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Take a look at where the military actively recruits. It's not in the rich neighborhoods, but in the poor ones.

If by that you mean recruiting offices are located in neighborhoods where the rent for office space is more reasonable than in some gated community, I won't disagree. So what?

You do realize there is also recruiting going on at college campuses, do you not? I'm sure you will recognize that the average college student comes from a wealthier background and has more opportunities than your average high school dropout. As a matter of fact, you do realize that the military has for a very long time now made the possession of a high school diploma (or GED) a mandatory requirement for acceptance into the military, so the high school dropouts don't qualify.

Quote:

...the overwhelming majority of new soldiers join for financial reasons because of the sad state of the economy.

Assumes two "facts" not in evidence... that the primary motive for joining the military is to maximize earnings, and that the US economy is in a "sad state". In actual fact, the US economy is as strong as it's ever been for at least the last three years.

Quote:

It's hard to argue that bush or the congress would have rushed into Iraq if any of their own sons or daughters were in the active military.

It is easy to argue they would have, since arguing they wouldn't have is sheer speculation. And of course, several members of Congress who voted in favor of the resumption of hostilities in Iraq do have family members in the military.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6302433 - 11/20/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
A few patriotic young people enlist regardless of their financial status, but the overwhelming majority of new soldiers join for financial reasons because of the sad state of the economy.  It beats working at wal-mart.

:lol:

The only difference between the military and Wal*Mart is that there is a greater amount of opportunity in the military, at a greater risk, of course. Your phrase "it beats working at Wal*Mart" is so generalized and unspecific that you couldn't possibly know what you are talking about in regards to Wal*Mart.

:levitate:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

#6302441 - 11/20/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You are only kidding yourself if you believe this stuff.

You think many(over 50%) of the new recruits in the US military would sign up if they had money? I know I can't prove it, but I would be willing to bet my savings on the fact they wouldn't.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6302631 - 11/20/06 12:37 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I think it would be a great idea from the standpoint that future presidents would be unlikely to become involved in unnecessary wars like Iraq if they knew there would be a firestorm of controversy from the outset. Just look at the size and passion of the anti-war movement during Vietnam- a place Bush coincidently just visited.

There are relatively few sons and daughters of congressmen fighting in Iraq and our so-called leadership consists of chicken hawks like Bush and Cheney. If they feel so stirringly patriotic about wars like Iraq and Vietnam then they should get their asses over there when they have the chance. Put up or shut up. Instead, many get the impression of an elite sending young people to fight wars to benefit their pocketbooks.

If a draft ever came everyone will see how many suburbanite conservatives with "Support Our Troops" stickers on their SUVs suddenly turn tail and begin running to the peace rallies or get deferrments.

As far as using more troops from the existing pool- there are not enough of them. We have about half a million ground troops available which are either in Iraq, on the way back, or on the way there.

Recruiting has been a problem. They have had to lower the bar to meet their quotas. On Anderson Cooper last week they sent young people undercover with cameras into recruiting offices. The majority used some form of deception to sign the recruits. Some were told there was no chance they would see combat. Some were told how to beat drug tests. Others were told there was no war at all- it is a media creation. Disgusting.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Edited by zorbman (11/20/06 01:00 PM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6302692 - 11/20/06 12:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

> Take a look at where the military actively recruits. It's not in the rich neighborhoods, but in the poor ones.

In the areas I have lived, the recruiting centers were located near post offices and motor vehicle departments... places that people tend to visit more than poor places.

I was very actively recruited when I was in high school... to the point where we had officers from the Navy coming to dinner trying to talk me into signing. (Un)fortunately, I had my eyes set on Colorado Springs rather than Annapolis. They recruited at my high school, which was where the "rich kids" went. They recruited at my college as well. In my experience the military recruiters do not target the poor, but rather anybody and everybody that might sign.

> You think many(over 50%) of the new recruits in the US military would sign up if they had money?

So what? You think the military should not only be volunteer, but also not pay? Maybe we should charge soldiers for the honor of protecting the constitution? In my experience, most people wouldn't bother to go to work if they had money... why the military should be any different, I don't know...

> The majority used some form of deception to sign the recruits.

The father of one of the women I dated in college had been an Army recruiter. When the recruiters started trying to sign his daughter, he went ballistic on them. The tirade went something like, "I used to be an Army recruiter and I know what you do and how you do it. Don't you ever talk to my daughter again..." I have no doubt that they stretch the bounds of ethical recruiting. However, I don't think they target minorities... at least, not from the standpoint of racism.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

#6303142 - 11/20/06 03:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If a draft were to be instated, would all people who claimed that they used drugs be refused for service?

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#6303434 - 11/20/06 04:52 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

This seems appropiate justice. The left vote the Dems into power and the Dems draft them into the neocon's plan to exterminate muslims.

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Senior Democrat Renews Call for Military Draft [Re: Luddite]
    #6303467 - 11/20/06 05:12 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

After seeing most of the internet practically destroyed by the psychotic Bush haters, I'm enjoying seeing the other political party talking about drafting the Bush haters into the military.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale