Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Fretless guitars
    #6220903 - 10/28/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, I must say that I am totally hooked.  One day I decided to rip the frets out of my strat, then filled the slots with epoxy and sanded it down using a radiused sanding block.  The whole process took about 2 1/2 weeks, but now I have the most incredible instrument I hve ever played.  There are no fixed points, only sounds.  It feels like it has a much more spiritual vibe to it as well, no longer am I limited by some other guys idea of what a guitar should sound like.  I feel like I can fly! 

Just thought i'd share this.

:heart: Peace :heart:

:hippie:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLimerick
a moment ofclarity
Male

Loc: the bark and below it
Re: Fretless guitars [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #6220968 - 10/28/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i should try this

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: Limerick]
    #6220993 - 10/28/06 01:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Check out  unfretted.  They have a great guide to converting a guitar under the fretless projects section.  I took the frets out before I found this page, so it wasnt exactly as neat as it could have been.  But after everything got filled and sanded down, it turned out nice and smooth :smile:

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

#6221200 - 10/28/06 02:59 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Sound clip?

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Fretless guitars [Re: thatiAM]
    #6221398 - 10/28/06 04:29 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thatiAM said:
Sound clip?

why? im sure its more about the feel of playing than the sound.
that site he posted has artists that use fretless.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6221422 - 10/28/06 04:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
Quote:

thatiAM said:
Sound clip?

why? im sure its more about the feel of playing than the sound.
that site he posted has artists that use fretless.

The site has lots of songs submitted by musicians that use fretless guitars. Just check out the "hall of sounds" section for some great examples.  As for the feel: Just imagine four fingertip slides at your disposal :smile:  Oh how wonderful...

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6221926 - 10/28/06 08:08 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Killer! I've been waiting to hear your playing for so long now, that I think you should take the initiative to do some recording! :wink:

I have a fretless bass, but the thing is a fucking montrosity. It looks cool as fuck, but whoever changed it to a fretted bass totally fucked it up. Ultimately, it was once a green acrylic, B.C. Rich Mockingbird, but they put a new neck on it. Of course, to keep the headstock, they did some cutting and attached it somehow, but they didn't glue this one part, so when I went to tighten the strings, it would start to bend the headstock forward. I had received it from Ebay, and was in Norway at the time. My solution was to get some wood glue and a nice clamp. The problem is that I think the truss rod is fucked up/neck is warped.

My intent at the time was to truly refine my ability to play by ear, which is nonexistant. Check out the beast:

:levitate:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Fretless guitars [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6221932 - 10/28/06 08:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

And, yeah, its all about the microtones! :headbang:

:levitate:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6223276 - 10/29/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Go microtones! 

You know what they say about there being an infinite number of points along a line :smile:

Just imagine 6 lines...

I have been playing this guitar today for a few hours now and I have been getting some realy groovy indian scales.

For those that know about music, the base scales that I like to use (not including the infinite number of microtones) are:

Dorian #4 (my favorite) - 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7 8
Phrygian Dominant - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 8
Hungarian minor - 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 b7 8
Bhairav - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7 8
Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8
Ionian (major) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

To find these scales play a major scale starting anywhere, and modify the tones as indicated.  A 'b' symbol means lower the tone, and a '#' symbol means to raise the tone.  For example, for Dorian #4, you could simply play a dorian scale with an augmented 4th, or using the intervals above, play a major scale but lower the 3rd note, raise the 4th, and lower the 7th.  There you have it. 

Most of the time I will tune to CGCFGC (DADGAD lowered one step, as I am using flatwounds on this guitar, so I like to tune it down to compensate for the heavy gauge) and use the lower 2-3 strings for drones, and play along the 3rd string.  So much fun.  With this tuning, I can get so many sounds from all over the world. I love this new guitar!

Even in standard tuning it is a hell of a lot of fun.  It can get really bluesy and funky. 9th, 7#9, 13, and +11 chords sound awesome mixed with a pentatonic blues/mixolydian hybrid scale - 1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b6 7 8.  Its nice and big so you can get those crazy altered tones no problem.  Plus with all the slide possibilities, well... :laugh:

Though the best thing with scales is to learn the sounds, and just play with your ears.  The sound is all that's important. 

I'll try and get a solo raga jam (thats what I call it :smile: ) recorded and post it up here when I can.  I dont really have the facilities here, but perhaps I can next friday when I am at the studio. 

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #6223277 - 10/29/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Damn now I'm tempted to unfret my Strat..... get a violin bow going for some craziness :smile:

I guess unfretting a previously unfretted instrument wouldn't be too bad, because you could still see where the frets actually were. So if you needed to learn a tab and where the proper notes are again, easily done.

I like their quote they have:

There is a transition phase,
from guitar to fretless guitar.
Its like walking all your life on Earth
and then suddenly finding you can fly.
All the fixed points
you relied upon are gone,
you are;

U N F R E T T E D

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: adamj]
    #6223281 - 10/29/06 09:34 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

adamj said:

There is a transition phase,
from guitar to fretless guitar.
Its like walking all your life on Earth
and then suddenly finding you can fly.
All the fixed points
you relied upon are gone,
you are;

U N F R E T T E D

Thats my signature at the Harmony Central forums.  It truly says it all.  :laugh:

Quote:

Damn now I'm tempted to unfret my Strat

Do you have any other guitars?  If not, I wouldnt recommend it.  This is my cheap guitar that was just sitting around collecting dust, so I figured why not?  If you have another electric, than I would highly recommend it.  It is quite a fun process, plus the feeling you get when you finally plug it in and play is unparalleled.  The hardest thing I am dealing with right now is getting the action set properly.  The neck has to be super smooth and dead straight.  The website recommends using only up to 300 grit, but I recommend you get some 400 and 600 to really get things smooth.   

BTW, where abouts in Ontario are you?

Edited by Quoiyaien (10/29/06 09:41 AM)

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #6225773 - 10/29/06 11:49 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quoiyaien said:

BTW, where abouts in Ontario are you?

2 hrs north of Toronto, Wasaga Beach area

I'll take your advice of not unfretting my strat just yet. Maybe I'll get that Godin I've been eyeing at the guitar store  :thumbup:

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: adamj]
    #6225992 - 10/30/06 07:37 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Which Godin are you looking at?  When I have the cash, I am going to pick up a Godin Glissentar.  11 string (single bass string, all others double and tuned in unison) fretless nylon guitar, with a fantastic pickup.  I can get a hell of a deal through the store I teach at. 

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #6255721 - 11/06/06 10:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quoiyaien said:
Go microtones! 

You know what they say about there being an infinite number of points along a line :smile:

Just imagine 6 lines...

I have been playing this guitar today for a few hours now and I have been getting some realy groovy indian scales.

For those that know about music, the base scales that I like to use (not including the infinite number of microtones) are:

Dorian #4 (my favorite) - 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7 8
Phrygian Dominant - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 8
Hungarian minor - 1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 b7 8
Bhairav - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7 8
Mixolydian - 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8
Ionian (major) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

To find these scales play a major scale starting anywhere, and modify the tones as indicated.  A 'b' symbol means lower the tone, and a '#' symbol means to raise the tone.  For example, for Dorian #4, you could simply play a dorian scale with an augmented 4th, or using the intervals above, play a major scale but lower the 3rd note, raise the 4th, and lower the 7th.  There you have it. 

Most of the time I will tune to CGCFGC (DADGAD lowered one step, as I am using flatwounds on this guitar, so I like to tune it down to compensate for the heavy gauge) and use the lower 2-3 strings for drones, and play along the 3rd string.  So much fun.  With this tuning, I can get so many sounds from all over the world. I love this new guitar!

Even in standard tuning it is a hell of a lot of fun.  It can get really bluesy and funky. 9th, 7#9, 13, and +11 chords sound awesome mixed with a pentatonic blues/mixolydian hybrid scale - 1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b6 7 8.  Its nice and big so you can get those crazy altered tones no problem.  Plus with all the slide possibilities, well... :laugh:

Though the best thing with scales is to learn the sounds, and just play with your ears.  The sound is all that's important. 

I'll try and get a solo raga jam (thats what I call it :smile: ) recorded and post it up here when I can.  I dont really have the facilities here, but perhaps I can next friday when I am at the studio. 

could you explain these tunings a little? i am not following how each string should be tuned to get those different tunings/keys.

thanks

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Fretless guitars [Re: Syle]
    #6255771 - 11/06/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

anyone ever played a scalloped fret guitar?? they are great for the higher notes because where your finger bends around the string doesnt touch the neck. They are good for fast stuff but you cant press too hard or it would bend the note too high.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Fretless guitars [Re: Syle]
    #6718443 - 03/27/07 10:28 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Syle said:

could you explain these tunings a little? i am not following how each string should be tuned to get those different tunings/keys.

thanks

If you are referring to the open tunings, the way I list the notes is from Low E to High E.  So for DADGAD, you would:

First drop your Low E to a D using the 4th string for reference
Then tune the 5th string 7th fret harmonic, to the 6th string 5th fret harmonic.
From there (assuming your tuning and intonation are set correctly) match the open B string to the 12th fret harmonic on the 5th string
Then match the first string 7th fret harmonic, to the second string 5th fret harmonic.

You now have a guitar tuned to DADGAD.  As for how to use it, well it takes a lot of experimentation.  I usually show alternate tunings such as these to my students when they feel like they are in a rut.  Opens up an entirely new sonic universe.

As for the guitar itself, I am getting it fitted with a glass fingerboard, a fernandes sustainer in the neck, and a Hipshot trilogy bridge (Each individual saddle is lever adjustable to 3 different notes, makes open tunings possible to get to in the middle of a song without having to switch guitars).  This thing just keeps getting better!!

InvisibleRapmaster
Stranger
Re: Fretless guitars [Re: cpw1971]
    #6721791 - 03/28/07 07:40 PM (17 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

cpw1971 said:
anyone ever played a scalloped fret guitar?? they are great for the higher notes because where your finger bends around the string doesnt touch the neck. They are good for fast stuff but you cant press too hard or it would bend the note too high.

I messed around with the YJM Strat and the JEM7VWH with the scallops on the upper registers. I'm not really a fan of the scallops nor am I a fan of jumbo frets in general. I have a soft touch but something about it doesn't feel comfortable.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom