Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKeepAskingTime
addict
Loc: Central PA
Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola
    #612646 - 04/19/02 04:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In research done recently its come to my attention that Lateralus may contain a hidden code.

Lateralus has 13 tracks, track 13 being the garbled message Faaip de Oiad which is there to make up the numbers, maybe literally. Faaip de Oiad reminds me of ?nema...

1-12
2-11
3-10
4-9
5-8
6-7

PARABOLA: A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone or by the locus of points equidistant from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.
So by drawing a line 13,6,7,5,8,4,9,3,10,2,11,1,12,13 you get the spiral which Tool have spoke about being in the album Lateralus. Excluding the 13's, this sequence makes a geometric spiral if you use parabolic lines to connect the numbers. If you got a piece of paper and wrote out 1 through 13 horizontally, start at six and draw a spiral 'out'.
Also notice that 6,7...6+7=13,
5,8...5+8=13,
4,9...4+9=13,
3,10...3+10=13,
2,11...2+11=13,
1,12...1+12=13

Put your album in that order and hear how well Schism goes into Ticks and Leeches, the drums at the end of Schism are almost exactly the same as the start to Ticks, not completly but too close to be a coincidence, also Parabola into Schism sounds very familliar...
but yet, there's another way...

Parabol up to Lateralus seems to flow much better then the second half, it doesn't have that same feel but I may have the answer, after taking another look at it. Lateralus seems to have two spirals at work.

and

A spiral in from each ends meeting in a cataclysm in the middle, the new second order seems right, the end and the beginning seem to tie in.

Another neat mathamatical thing is that the lyrics to the song 'Lateralus' follow a Fibonacci sequence that inverts at 8.

Fibonacci sequence goes like this, ...1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,...etc. Just take the previous two numbers and add them to get the next number.

Heres how it works in Lateralus...taking into account how the song is sung.

black
and
white are
all i see
in my infancy
red and yellow then came to be
reaching out to me
lets me see

Count the syllables. This could be just a random thing but i found it interesting. Also, the album name Lateralus has been designed to read as La Te Ra Lus- again, syllables.

Sidenote: The video for Parabol/ Parabola has recently been released. You can download the vid from several different sites, though for some reason I haven't been able to DL more than 3.45 MB. Here's a link with still from the video and download links...
http://toolshed.down.net/video/parabola
Looking through the stills from the video my eyes water.

Please post your thoughts and anything else you would like to add. Take care.

--------------------
I'm praying for infinite lapdances in heaven and an infinite supply of cocaine to snort out of Angelina Jolie's ass crack.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: KeepAskingTime]
    #612872 - 04/19/02 11:48 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldnt doubt it, I believe tool would definetly go through that much trouble to make a pattern out of an entire CD. Its definetly a trippy CD and that makes it even more trippy. I wanna look all this up and see how it works now too.

Anonymous

#613081 - 04/19/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I have no doubt either...Tool have mentioned in passing that,as they are all GENIUS geeks!! , that music is all about mathematics.... It is interesting that noone else has noticed this before. To me, numbers answer the chaos in the universe...maybe with them it's the same????

Very COOL K-A-T!!

:tongue: ~K~

OfflineDanimal
journeyman
    #613296 - 04/19/02 09:41 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The syllables counting in Lateralus isn't a coincident. The song was originally titled "987" because the time measures changed from 9 to 8 to 7 each bar. The band realized this was the 13th(?) number in the fibonacci and led to Maynard writing the lyrics in that style.

BTW, the new video for parabol/parabola is amazing.

Anonymous

#613303 - 04/19/02 09:58 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Set your pipe down and go take a walk...
you obviously have too much time on your hands. :wink:

j/k...
that's pretty amazing. now i just wish i was smart enought to understand it all.

Anonymous

Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Danimal]
    #613313 - 04/19/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I just downloaded the video and watched it.
WOW!!!
At the very end of it is a very visual example of what happened to me!! It is an incredible thing to see something you thought only YOU felt and experienced actually --put into  media form for all to witness.....The feeling I experienced when watchign the heart chakra being opened and then seeing the double dorje within the lotus flower..POWERFUL stuff. And the fountain effect at the end...FOLKS..That shit is REAL!! it feels just like it looks!!

I feel a bit out of sorts after watching that....weird stuff in the world today.  need to take a break now....makes me wonder about Maynard..hhhmmm.....K. awakened or not??

:tongue:
~K~

Edited by MystrysAbsynth (04/19/02 11:53 PM)

OfflineKeepAskingTime
addict
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: ]
    #613405 - 04/20/02 12:23 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Well, so I've heard, the tattoo on his back is a snake coiled around his spine- which is an undeniable Kundalini symbol.
Yes, these are strange days...

--------------------
I'm praying for infinite lapdances in heaven and an infinite supply of cocaine to snort out of Angelina Jolie's ass crack.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#613596 - 04/20/02 06:53 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"music is all about mathematics..."
actually, Pythagoras noticed it, around the 6th century B.C. :smile: 

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #613739 - 04/20/02 10:40 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah the last 30 seconds of that video is one of the most amazing things I've even seen in the video medium. They did a great job putting such an ethereal concept to images.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #613921 - 04/20/02 02:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

wow, i bow to thee... i'm tryin to get the parabola video but it's not workin too well. i was lucky enough to see them in concert last october (30th) and it was THE most amazing show i've ever been to. I wasn't trippin, but the screen was just way too intense, my sober ass had to sit down for a sec.... the band was album perfect, and maynard can move like a creature.... my roommate wrote an 8 page essay on aenima and its content so i'm sure he'll be intrigued with this as well. thanks for giving me something to contemplate on this our great plant's holiday.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineDanimal
journeyman
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Blastrid]
    #613996 - 04/20/02 04:14 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Blastrid-try http://toolshed.down.net for the video. For those who don't know, last thirty seconds contains work by artist Alex Grey, ending with universal mind lattice.

OfflineInsomniac
Stranger
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #614332 - 04/21/02 03:37 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, what a beautiful ending.

OfflineKeepAskingTime
addict
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Insomniac]
    #616441 - 04/23/02 01:54 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I was just listening to a Tool interview they did over the internet answering questions about Laterlalus, they were bullshitting questions, but on one Maynard answered, "It's happy hour between 6 and 7."

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#616572 - 04/23/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

has anyone here ever seen the movie "pi". i think it relates nicely to this topic. Its sort of about the way humans are related to numbers and patterns but its really really wierd. its one of my favs!
if you are going to look for it, the name is actually the greek letter pi

--------------------
:egyptian:

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Loc: a hidden microutopia at t...
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Catalysis]
    #616785 - 04/23/02 08:39 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

pi!

i'd give a quote from the movie but i can't remember any because it's been quite a while since i watched it.

but yes...
its grrrrreeat!

--------------------
---

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
    #616792 - 04/23/02 08:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"It's happy hour between 6 and 7."

to go slightly off subject... this reminded me of marilyn manson.

on his last album, "holy wood", there is a picture of a flower growing out of the top of his head (crown chakra, thousand-petaled lotus).. and the lyrics to the very last song on the album (Count To 6 And Die) end with "1 2 3... it spins round, 4 5 6... we all fall down, some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts". and of course the album is also covered with arcane magical symbols, his own version of the tarot deck, things about kennedy, phrases like "the vacuum of infinite space encompassing"... etc etc.
"when the worm is still a boy, its hard to learn the number 7... then they get to you..."

--------------------
---

OfflineKeepAskingTime
addict
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Amoeba665]
    #617720 - 04/24/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

wow..that is very interesting....newfound respect for marilyn manson...

--------------------

Anonymous

#621631 - 04/28/02 07:04 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah man, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they intended that, or part of it at least. Thats such a thing tool would do..

God I love that band.. ;p

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Danimal]
    #621646 - 04/28/02 07:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

when i first saw the lattice in the video my jaw dropped. i've seen this same thing during the peak of several mushroom trips including once on a hit of nitrous. i will at first be focusing on a circle/sphere in the foreground, then i'll realize all the other spheres extending out to infinity in all directions.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Re: Lateralus according to the spiral ratio; Parabola [Re: Eightball]
    #621652 - 04/28/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
---

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order