Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards?
    #6031497 -

Im a lifeguard at a community pool. I've had to save a few little kids that wandered into water that was a little over their head. I never really thought much of it. A few days ago a man dove into the shallow water and floated up face down, bleeding from the crown of his head and mouth. As it turns out he broke his neck at C4, C5, and C6. He was completely conscious the whole time, and he was crying for us to help him. We got him out of the pool correctly, making sure not to disturb his spine or neck. EMS arrived on the scene as we pulled him out and a helicopter responded within 5 minutes to pick him up. Afterwards I was in a state of shock. The incident keeps replaying itself over and over, granted its still fresh in my mind. I cant stop thinking about the guy. The paramedics that took over came for a follow up and talked to us and told me and my coworker that the replays are natural and will go away.

Just wondering if any of you have any experiences like this?


--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6031532 -

I cant really say I have saved anyones life, maybe prevented extreme injury, but I know what you are talking about with the replays.

I dont think the vividness will ever go away, but the cringing and replays will usually just become one staunch reminding picture.

I once watched was about 3 feet away from watching a pit bull bite my brothers entire calf off, exactly like a cartoon bite mark in a chicken leg. It amazingly grew back normal, it was just muscle, no nerve damage or anything, it was amazing, I thought for sure they would just have to amputate his leg.... this was all 15+ years ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6034300 -

It is hard. I use to be a lifeguard instructor, and have a few rescues under my belt, so I know.

> Afterwards I was in a state of shock.

This is normal. During the rescue, you turn off emotion and rely on your training. You don't notice it, but your adrenaline is running out of control. You are focused on the rescue to the exclusion of everything else around you. This combination "burns" the events into your mind.

> The incident keeps replaying itself over and over, granted its still fresh in my mind.

Exactly. You are also probably questioning your actions... what you did right, what you did wrong, what could have been done differently to prevent the situtation, etc. This is natural, and difficult. The important thing to remember is that if you hadn't been there at all, it would have been much worse.

> I cant stop thinking about the guy. The paramedics that took over came for a follow up and talked to us and told me and my coworker that the replays are natural and will go away.

This is correct. For me, it takes about a week for the worst of it to subside, but a few months can pass before I really let the event go completely. If you need to talk, send me a PM. I well remember the useless state I would enter immediately after a rescue while my mind tried to cope with what had just happened.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: Seuss]
    #6034413 -

Yeah, this "useless" state sucks. Its getting better though. Im feeling a little bit closer to base line everyday. The adrenaline thing I noticed afterwards when I wouldnt stop shaking (not from cold, more like anxiety,) and I started remembering everything I did. The water was really cold, and it was chilly and cloudy, but I was unaware of the cold the entire time. Usually I'd be shivering from the cold+wet, I was oblivious. All I was aware of was what the guy was saying and what the other guard was saying. My emotions also shut down, upon entering the water I felt the urge to cry but it just did not happen, I could not feel anything but shock for a while. Adrenaline is crazy stuff.


--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6040421 -

Cool stuff, bro. You have to do what you have to do. In your case, it was a really good thing. So be happy.. you are just analyzing the scenario because you may have to do the same thing again. Be confident in yourself now that you have some experience under your belt.


--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #6040675 -

Quote:
So be happy.. you are just analyzing the scenario because you may have to do the same thing again. Be confident in yourself now that you have some experience under your belt.



That has very little, if anything to do with the issue. Think of it more as post tramatic stress syndrome. It isn't that you think about it or analyze what happened, but rather than you cannot stop thinking about it, even when you want to. For me, two weeks and I am mostly over it... two months, and it is a thing of the past.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6041239 -

I pulled a chick out of a fire about 7 years ago...the kicker was that she was also suffering an epileptic seizure at the time. So after I got her away from the initial danger she was still fairly badly burned and having a seizure. (Which I knew very little about what to do, other than put her on her side and let her ride it out)

She invited me to her wedding a few years ago and gave me a tearful thankyou speech....I still keep in contact with her.

I don't really think it was any kind of heroic action or anything extraordinary...I assume that anyone would do that same. I rarely even think about it.


--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6041294 -

I can't say I've ever saved a life, but I'll bet it's a great feeling. Keep up the good work!  :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #6041318 -

Ive never have, but my Dad tried. We use to live in a bad part of Omaha, and one day my parents and I were putting up signs for a church festival, and across the street to guys were screaming at each other in Spanish in the drive-thru of the Dairy Queen across the street. The passenger got out of the car pulled out some kind of auto/semi-automatic weapon and started spraying the side of the car and ran off. My dad ran across the street, took of his shirt and clotted the blood spilling from his chest. He then bear-hugged his chest from behind in order to use all his strength to slow the bleeding. The man died in my dad's arms. It was the most horrific thing Ive ever seen, and at the time I was only like 9-10.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: musicturkey]
    #6041391 -

That would be traumatic for anyone of any age to see, let alone a little kid. :eek:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6041544 -

I have had to save a couple of potential drowning victims. The second time I was swimming with a friend off an island and the current coming back into the only place to come back in through the coral was more than he could handle but no problem for me to do on my own.

The real issue for me was that while I was more than willing to work hard at saving him, it was more than I could do to swim myself in and drag him to shore as well. I told him a few times that he really needed to kick hard! Fortunately, we both made it to shore and all was well. Had he not helped me save him at some point I would have had to let him go. No help was around so that would have been it for him.

I felt better for saving him but would have let him go if I had to. That would have sucked and I can only imagine how bad I would have felt had he drowned. But, you can only do what you can do. Many people have in turn drowned trying to save a panicked swimmer.


--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: Rono]
    #6041553 -

.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: z_x_x_z]
    #6090133 -

Cool stories, thanks. I'm over it now, its a shame, hes a really nice guy with an awesome son, but we do those things to ourselves. I did what I could for him, and what I had to do. I dont think of myself as a hero, Im payed to be there in case things like that happen, its just my job. Good news on him though, he didnt sever his spinal chord, so theres a good chance he may at least be able to use his hands again. Hes in good condition, happy, done with his initial rounds of spine and neck surgeries, and looking forward to two years worth of rehabilitation. I can only wish him the best.


--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone here ever saved a life? How did you feel afterwards? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6091286 -

I saved a life once, caught a girl from falling off the side of a cruise ship in the middle of the night. It still crosses my mind from time to time.

Never made me feel Übermensch, in fact just the opposite.. reminds me of how fragile we are.


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* No longer need drugs to feel good
( 1 2 all )
silversoul7 5,800 29 05/06/03 11:40 PM
by tak_old
* Feeling Shitty About Life DellComputers 1,433 5 09/20/03 01:30 AM
by Strumpling
* Feel like I'm ruined inside. Fungilicious 2,032 14 01/19/04 02:28 AM
by filthysock
* Telling a girl how I feel... forevadazin 2,939 8 04/12/03 05:16 PM
by forevadazin
* To anyone who feels like they've got a problem mr_kite 1,078 3 03/10/04 03:10 AM
by 40oz
* Losing your temper can feel damn good sometimes. silversoul7 703 3 04/03/04 04:05 PM
by silversoul7
* I often feel I'm like.. not part of the conversation JAMsper 1,678 16 12/06/03 02:23 PM
by jarby
* Feel Like Dieing. ShadowsEnd 2,206 12 08/15/03 09:04 AM
by ZenBhikku

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
1,059 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 13 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.