Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
help? anyone w/ "growing gourmet and med mushies"?
    #598032 - 04/03/02 11:39 PM (15 years, 27 days ago)

according to shroomgod, stamets says that "The plastic needs lots of holes poked through it! Paul Stamets in the book Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms recommends 1/8th-inch holes at least 3 but no more than 4.25 inches apart." i have read tmc cover to cover and he never says this so why does he add the holes in gg&mm? doesnt make sense to me why it would be important at all... dont you want to halt gas exchange in order to boost beneficial bacteria? anyone?

also a quick question about straw: is wheat straw always golden yellow or can it have some green tints to it also -- is green color always bad? shroomgod says that the green *is* alfalfa and that more than 20% green *will* contam... but i think he is just being dramatic...

thanks.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: help? anyone w/ "growing gourmet and med mushi [Re: rebelmoon]
    #598052 - 04/04/02 12:09 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

was it not because some mushrooms like oyster grow out of the holes? I think I'll read through it again tonight.

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: rebelmoon]
    #598079 - 04/04/02 12:45 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: help? anyone w/ "growing gourmet and med mushi [Re: MicronMagick]
    #598198 - 04/04/02 03:18 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

im pretty sure that in "shrromgods straw tek" he doesnt intend to grow *through* any plastic holes. the plastic is put on there for the spawn run. i dont have gg&mm so i dont know. maybe he just read it wrong? but i dont think that is what he is sayng stamets says.... umm did that make sense? anyway i might take a peek at the library copy tomorrow to sort this out for my own damn self.

concerning the straw question, my housemate said that maybe the straw will get more yellow if it dries out over a few days. i just wonder if it makes a difference... i think ill start a new thread with this question so it is more noticable.

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation