Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedHead
pressure cooking plastic or tupperware
    #577892 - 03/13/02 01:15 PM (22 years, 20 days ago)

i have a 6 quart plastic container- it is really thick plastic. it doesn't even have a recycle number on the bottom. i think milk jug containers are number 2 (if that means anything to anyone). i think it says "pp" (polypropalene [sp?]) on the bottom. it has a lid made out of the same material. i also have some 3 quart plastic containers that do say "pp" on the bottom. and the lids have recycle number 5 i think. i want to use these as spawn containers- but i need to know if i can put them in my pressure cooker at 15psi for about 70 minutes (in order to sterilize wheat berries)?? there is already a little metal thing in the bottom of my pressure cooker so the containers won't be sitting directly on the bottom- but i will also put a wash cloth underneathe just to be safe.

anybody done this before? are these gonna melt? thanks for all responses.

red

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: pressure cooking plastic or tupperware [Re: RedHead]
    #578338 - 03/14/02 12:07 AM (22 years, 20 days ago)

If they donot melt they will possibly warp, and since you donot have a separate band and lid, air exchange will be difficult. Not a good idea. But thats just an opinion.:). Just use canning jars and be safe.:)bluhoney 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #578453 - 03/14/02 03:49 AM (22 years, 19 days ago)

If you want to sterilize casung then just use those ovenbags, theyre usualy in the ziplock bag section at the grosery store, and theyre cheap and reusable

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #578481 - 03/14/02 05:00 AM (22 years, 19 days ago)

Not true - i have PCed and my friend says you can even autoclave good quality tupperware. If they are empty they may buckle, but if they are full of substrate, theyll be fine

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: pressure cooking plastic or tupperware [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #578504 - 03/14/02 06:05 AM (22 years, 19 days ago)

i've pc'd the microwave-safe gladwear disposables many times without problems.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineMetaRox
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chile Flag
    #28398114 - 07/16/23 07:53 PM (8 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

RedHead said:
i have a 6 quart plastic container-  it is really thick plastic.  it doesn't even have a recycle number on the bottom.  i think milk jug containers are number 2 (if that means anything to anyone).  i think it says "pp" (polypropalene [sp?]) on the bottom.  it has a lid made out of the same material.  i also have some 3 quart plastic containers that do say "pp" on the bottom.  and the lids have recycle number 5 i think.  i want to use these as spawn containers- but i need to know if i can put them in my pressure cooker at 15psi for about 70 minutes (in order to sterilize wheat berries)??  there is already a little metal thing in the bottom of my pressure cooker so the containers won't be sitting directly on the bottom- but i will also put a wash cloth underneathe just to be safe. 
<br>
<br>anybody done this before?  are these gonna melt?  thanks for all responses.
<br>
<br>red 

PP = Polypropylene = 5 inside a triangle

Is the only plastic that we can use safely in a PC at 15-17 psi during a 2 hours cycle, if it melt is not PP or your PC is reaching somewhere between 17-20 psi which some PC do reach. BEWARE that is pretty normal for PP container to have a not PP lid, i think thats probably because when is microwaved you need to remove the lid anyways to heat the food so some companys i asumme that prefere to save money on lids with cheaper plastics.

If you want to use with grains then just make a hole or 2 in the lid and put micropore or a filter of choice for gas exchange.

I have not done it but i pretend to try it when i find some really volumen efficient and sturdy container that fit in my PC.

Only for safety dont use thin plastic containers even if it is PP.

Edited by MetaRox (07/16/23 07:59 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates