Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKitMarlowe
Stranger
New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield!
    #525749 - 01/19/02 06:13 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps this has been done before, I have not seen it. This method uses a unique cake shape to facilitate high fruiting. The shape of the cake is something like what three donuts would look like if stacked on top of each other, except with smooth tapered sides. Using a wide mouth quart jar (or any size), glue a 1.5 inch diameter dowel (plastic or glass pipe, etc.) to the middle of its bottom, standing up. It should be almost as high as the entire jar, coming up to just below the first lid-line. So what you now have is a quart jar with an upright 'column' in the middle.

Fill the jar with your substrate; I used standard brown rice flour and vermiculite. Level this substrate with the top of the dowel, and fill the rest of the jar with plain verm (just like PF Tek). Put the cap on (with the normal 4 holes in it), and sterilize (just like PF tek).

When cooled, innoculate the jar. Let it colonize. When fully colonized, remove top and scrape away the verm. Using a pair of grippers (anything like need-nosed pliars) grap the very top of the dowel and turn it, loosening it. Pull it up and out. Birth the cake, taking care to make sure you do not squash its shape (a taurus, and using the lid as a base. Pack clean verm around the base, rather tightly.

You can wait for a first flust, and then, INSTEAD OF DUNKING, just fill the inside hole with somewhat sterile water. You can leave the hole full of water for 24-48 hours, and then use a turkey baster to suck it up, or try tilting it out.
Repeat this rehydration as necessary. I have cakes on their fourth large flush, still white, producing large fruitbodies. I am going to experiment mixing nutrients into the water next.

Any criticism and innovation to this process is greatly appreciated. Tell me what you think! Kit

I will try to post pics is several days if people are interested

Edited by KitMarlowe (01/19/02 06:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: KitMarlowe]
    #525767 - 01/19/02 06:50 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

torus

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #525831 - 01/19/02 08:17 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

this sounds very interesting...Id like to see some pics.

The fact that youve had cakes on a fourth flush proves that it is worthwhile, and the nutrient water idea sounds even better. Much more convenient than dunking.

How set are you on the 1.5 inch diameter?

OfflineKitMarlowe
Stranger
    #526033 - 01/19/02 10:40 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I have only run through one batch of 10 cakes, and so all data is variable. The 1.5 inch hole was what I had on hand, and looked okay in proportion to the diameter of the jar.

Another plus is that the cakes colonize more quickly, not having that inner core to fill up.

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
    #526191 - 01/20/02 01:11 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Very intersting idea, might have to give something like this a try myself..cheers, please post pics of results, and continue with your data...sounds promising. Cheers

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #526217 - 01/20/02 01:37 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Obviosly a spin-off of the straw tek mentioned on the PF site.

I like this tek over the straw tek however. I mean, instead of taking a drill and boreing a hole into a cake.... you mearly pull a stick (dowel rod) out. This method should not damage the mycelium nearly as much.

nice idea.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: Jammer]
    #526222 - 01/20/02 01:45 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

exactly. drilling a hole...talk about fucking up the network.
i think the only thing to remember is to sterilize the insert beforehand, especially if you find your pipe in the back of grandpas truck or attatched to your neighbors house.

OfflineKitMarlowe
Stranger
    #526587 - 01/20/02 01:23 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My digital camera is broken, so pics will not be up that soon. Sorry. As for variations, does anyone have suggestions for making 'nutrient water'?

Also, I have found that putting a clean plastic cap over the hole in the middle of the cake is needed to prevent mushrooms from growing and filling up the hole.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #526602 - 01/20/02 01:54 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Fill the hole with moist vermiculite.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: Humidity]
    #526932 - 01/20/02 10:01 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

theres a big thread on nutrients in advanced cult. Thiamine would be a must.

Invisiblerazer
enthusiast
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: fresh357]
    #526949 - 01/20/02 10:27 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Filling the hole with verm would defeat the purpose. The purpose was more surface area, thus more shrooms.
And besides, that would basically be the inner resevoir tek then

--------------------
All events stated by myself are only fictionous stories, any relations to true events are intirely coincidental.

Offlinerougepark
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: razer]
    #557449 - 02/20/02 12:12 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, i'm just wondering what exactly you used to make the hole in the middle. What exactly was the circular piece of plastic or glass, where can i get it. Doesn't it have to be heat proof, to endure the sterilization temps. I really want to try this tech, please some more info.

Thnx.

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: rougepark]
    #557471 - 02/20/02 12:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Lincoln log or tinker toy rod would work lol.........They still make those?  I think I just devulged my age :smile:

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Offlinerougepark
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: Numba9]
    #557519 - 02/20/02 02:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

never heard of lincoln log. I've got walmart in my town (who doesn't), can you get something there that would fit the bill? what about a wooden log.

Offlinerougepark
    #557520 - 02/20/02 02:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

never heard of lincoln log. I've got walmart in my town (who doesn't), can you get something there that would fit the bill? what about a wooden dowel?

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #557529 - 02/20/02 02:25 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

man what a memory. 30 years ago I loved Lincoln logs and my Lionel Train set
LOL

--------------------

OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: rougepark]
    #557532 - 02/20/02 02:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Why not just use 2 inch pvc pipe. It could go in the pressure cooker safely as well.

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

OfflineNugDumper
Member of theThird Eye Club

Re: New Taurus Tek - strange cakes! high yield! [Re: BlueJay]
    #557553 - 02/20/02 03:02 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see how this is using different principles than the Inner Resevoir Tek on fanaticus.com. It seems you are using Quart Jars, which are prone to contam before they are fully colonized. If indeed you were looking to increase surface area, half pints would be the natural choice... as they are also easier to maintain. (Turkey baster vs syringe)

I've used the IR tek and it is not uncommon at all to have cakes last 2 months... producing 6-8 flush's, each smaller than the previous. The wet verm also does play somewhat of a factor, particularly when using a large diameter hole in the middle of a quart size cake. Standing water in a hole of that size will cause rot and bacteria in the hole, the verm holds the water and slowly feeds it to the mycelium, this also eliminates sucking water back up and keeping a scedule of when that needs to be done on each cake.

-Don't worry about having a "tek" you labled in the archive, go check out fanaticus.com and see how others have already improved upon and structured this idea.

--------------------
All that I need is the air that I breathe... and all that I need are things I don't need... and all that really matters is what matters to me me me... -Shannon Hoon

Racism is schism on a serious tip! -Bradley Nowell

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate