Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Loc: USA
Yields? Please help!
    #644988 - 05/25/02 06:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hello. I'm using the PF Tek, and plan on birthing cakes (*not* doing casings).

Depending on the expected yield from each cake, I'm either going to buy some more jars and get a few large tubs, or just use the jars I have and use somewhat smaller tubs.

My Question: I'm wondering, *on average* how many grams of fresh mushrooms does one standard PF Tek half-pint cake yield total, once it's entirely depleted?

I know that it varies depending on multiple variables, but I'm asking for an average to expect. Please let me know, because I have no idea if the yield is like 2 grams wet or 30 grams wet. I'm clueless and knowing *about* what to expect from each cake will help me spend my money wisely. THANKS!

--------------------
Disclaimer: Everything I've typed is of a fictional nature.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineindicaz
Lysol God
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Chair
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: greenlight]
    #644998 - 05/25/02 06:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

one half pint I beleive will give you anywhere from 3-7 grams dry

I beleive..

if im wrong please correct me

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: indicaz]
    #645008 - 05/25/02 06:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeilds are completely dependant upon a few rather crucial factors. Some of these factors may be, but are not limited to;

• Strain of fungus grown.
  • Substrate on which the fungus was grown.
  • Nutrient avalibility in substrate.
  • Method in which pinning was initiated.
  • Temperature and humidity levels.
  • Number of flushes cake/casing provides.

Again, these are not the only factors, merely the ones I care to remember at the given time. You'll have enough. Don't worry about it, as a rather famous author once wrote (fiction author, but what the hell, it's a nice quote) "Don't sweat the small stuff, it's a long walk back to eden."

--------------------
All text in the above message, expressed or implied, is fiction.

Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: anonymoushate]
    #645027 - 05/25/02 06:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the substrate is standard PF Tek -- vermiculite and ground-up brown rice. The amount of substrate available is standard PF Tek, too -- one-half pint.
I'm using the Equadorian strain.

I plan to cold-shock the jars once fully-colonized, and I will probably use the "dunk tek."

If I can't get at least like 3 grams DRY from *EACH cake*, that means I need to spend more money, for bigger rubbermaid containers, more jars, etc.

So -- PF-Tek, EQ Strain, Dunktek and Cold Shock -- Assuming I do all of this (mostly?) correctly, sterilize correctly, etc. what is the rough minimum I can expect per cake?

(I've been bolding my main questions in an attempt "get to the point" -- I know you don't want to read through a long-ass boring post. Thanks in advance for replies!)

--------------------

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
    #645142 - 05/25/02 08:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sorry i can't answer your question. I was just wondering why you were not interested in casing

Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: staindblue]
    #645619 - 05/26/02 08:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Why should I case? Seems to be more trouble, more crap to clean up in the end, etc. Doesn't it also involve a higher risk of contams?

Does *everyone* case or something? Noone can tell me roughly what to expect from one PF-Tek cake? Geez.

--------------------

OfflineOdd_Snail
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #645671 - 05/26/02 08:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I heard somewhere that you should get about 4-8 of the large mushroms of one cake. In addition you also get the little abhorts and smaller stuff. When you case you get lots more.

--------------------
Darlene: "Ted, I got you this new nose plug to stop you from snoring at night."
Ted: "Uh yeah, and I got you this paper bag to stop you from looking like James Brown in the Morning."
Darlene: "Oh come now, I don't look anything like James Brown."
Ted: "Hey kids, who does your mom look like in the morning?"
Kids... in unison: "James Brown!"
Darlene, "All right, thats enough... It's poison spaghetti for dinner tonight."

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#646749 - 05/26/02 08:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If your interested in a lot more shrooms casing is definitly the way to go so it's worth it but do your own experiments. if you have a couple extra try a small casing you'll see. As far as contams i haven't had a problem with this ( in casing) i use " Jiffy mix" you can find it in walmart or lowes. This is a potting soil with 50%vermiculite 50%peat moss w/lime added it works good you can sterilize it in a pressure cooker. or pasterize it this is what i do cause i don't have one yet
i've also baked it in an oven set at 350 for an hour with the water mixed in it already with good results and no contams. Check the 50/50+ in the casing FAQ
This shows you how to make it yourself too but the premixed is easier. there is other useful info here so check it out.

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #646796 - 05/26/02 09:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

lol just keep up the research, sorry i cant answer your question, but it just struck me funny....lol peeps are always telling newbies to stick to cakes to start...here we got a newbie who plans to anyway, and your trying to sell him on caseing lol

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #646802 - 05/26/02 09:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think from 7 grams upward.

OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Loc: Another Realm
    #646804 - 05/26/02 09:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If youre so worried about getting a high yield and spending the money, why not spend that same money to use cased wheat straw or similar. you will get much higher yields and its not much more difficult in my opinion.

--------------------
:tongue:
  Livin comfortably numb, always and forever.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #646923 - 05/26/02 11:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey my first time out i did cakes and a casing and i liked the casing better it's easy and that time two of the mushrooms on that casing made me two 4in. dark beautiful prints YEHAA!! even if this is his first time if he's gotten to this point the casing is easy. hey cubies4me is that in the casing FAQ? Is it alot better?If so I want to try it.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#646942 - 05/26/02 11:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Nevermind kid stick with cakes. i don't want to be responsible for messing you up.

Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: staindblue]
    #647143 - 05/27/02 06:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

It's funny--this situation with cakes versus casings. Some, like Fanaticus, are extremely zealous about the PF Tek, and some are hardcore casing-fans. I'll probably just try both.

This wasn't even what the original topic was about. Oh well.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #647164 - 05/27/02 06:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

> Some, like Fanaticus, are extremely zealous about the PF Tek, and some are hardcore casing-fans.

They both have their ups and downs. For my friend, iI seems that the pf-tek is more of a sure thing. It is pretty simple, well documented, lots of people to help with experience, and not a lot of steps that one can screw up. The pf-tek gets really old after a while... cleaning all those jars, sterilizing all those jars, innoculating all those jars, birthing all those cakes... tedious when doing large batches.

Casing/bulk on the other hand gives better yeilds with less work, but is more open to contamination, fewer experts to ask advice from, fewer teks, and a lot more steps that one can screw up. The losses with casing/bulk are higher as well.. instead of tossing a single jar or cake, you end up tossing an entire bag or tray. It is also harder to see and identify (for the most part) contamination on a casing compared to a cake.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinewindex
old hand
Re: Yields? Please help! [Re: Seuss]
    #647198 - 05/27/02 07:14 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

So far ive had way better luck with casing. It not as hard as it really seems. You can try this with one jar. (doing this wont necisarilly get you more shrooms if you just use one jar, but it will show how easy it actually can be)

1. Put one of those disposable foil tray in the oven on anything above 300

1a. You can wait a few minutes here so the oven can heat up and everything

2. Mix together some h2o2 and water 1:10

3. Mix some of the water+h2o2 in with vermiculite untill you can sqeeze a couple drops of water out of it.

4. Crouble up cake into plastic ziplock bag.

5. Take the pan out of the oven and spray it with some of the water+h2o2 solution.

6. Spray your crumbled cake down with the water+h2o2 to rehydrate it a little (may not be needed, also may open you up to contaims, but i havnt had any problems after doing three smaller cassings this way.

7. Cover with the vermiculite you prepared before. Make it nice and even without patting down.

8. Cover with tin-foil. Black garbage bag also works.

9. Wait 4 -5 days, and patch some of the early mycellium spots. You may need to water your casing at this point. I take some more of the h2o2+water solution and slowly pour it down the side and then tilt the tray to move the water around.

10. Wait a couple more days, put it in your terrerium, and indroduce fresh air and light.

Disclamer: If you follow this you will probbably be dissapointed with the yeilds. This is due to only using one cake and a small tray. And this is a straight verm casing so again smaller flushes. While there ARE quite a few steps, they arent as hard as it first seems. I have a much harder time getting stuff to germinate for some reason then i do with casing!

My two cents, purly fiction.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#647720 - 05/27/02 01:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yes your right this wasn't the original topic I still don't know. But not because i don't do cakes; i do cakes too. I just never weighed up yields to know how much.
And then you would have to do it all the time to get an average. I could have some numbers for you next week but this woudn't be an average. Also there has been some talk about potency of cake versus casing Also not the topic but may be worthy of another post i don't know myself but i plan on doing some research on this as well. GOOD LUCK!! if you've done everything right you won't need it.

Offlinegroingrinder
mycophiliac

#653998 - 05/30/02 05:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I haven't weighed my fruits, but I am guestimating that I got between 8 and 12 grams dry yield out of each of my four cakes. Pf tek brf and vermiculite. I am dunking between each flush. I am on my 3rd flush and expect at least one more. I am dunking for 24 hours between flushes in ordinary tap water. I fruit in an aquarium with a flourescsent light of 10w in the lid it is on about 1 hr per day. I also have a kaz healthmist humidifier ducted into the lid with flexible tubing.

--------------------
Let's not confuse truth with reality.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation