Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Free agar.. now what..
    #556206 -

I sent away for a free sample of Agar from http://www.moorhead-agar.com and a few weeks later I recieved a sample. Here's what it says:
Moorhead Agar- Agar 700B is a colloidal substance extracted from Marine Algae of the Rhodophyceae type from Gelidium genera. It is insoluble in cold water and soluble in boiling water. Moorhead Agar 700B is kosher and classified as GRAS by FDA.

Ok I'm not sure exactly how much agar this is... but I am going to estimate 15-20 grams.

Now how can I be sure how much agar to use per water? I have some disposable petri dishes so I am going to attempt my first try at agar. I am looking for a flask or something right now to sterilize it in... but how can I be sure how much is enough?

Hmm... also do I need to add anything to this agar such as malt extract? Where would I obtain that?
Any help appreciated.

Edited by Shroomism (02/19/02 11:48 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: ]
    #556244 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: ]
    #557726 -

use about 20-30 mL of water per gram, 50mL for 2grams....
each petri dish will use about 1 gram for a 1/4" layer....
use about 2/3 of that weight and substitute it with starch or dextrose or something, make PDA....if you want to add extra nutrients to the agar.


--------------------
To make a contribution to the Society for Restructuring Your Lives please contact me. We accept contributions of the following types: capital, capital producing systems, information deemed vauable to the society. Please direct all inquiries to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: Incognito]
    #557755 -

>50mL for 2grams....

That?s too much.

15-20 g agar per liter of liquid is enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: ]
    #557770 -

I believe mushmush used a beer bottle. nice narrow neck. seemed like a good idea.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: Anno]
    #558190 -

Thanks... I read in the culture mediums that straw extract can be used in the agar. Does this mean to use the water that the straw was pasteurized in as a nutrient solution? I have some now its a nice dark brown water..looks really tasty if I was mycelium.
Can I use this water to mix with the agar in the above described measurement amounts? Is that enough nutrients?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: ]
    #558218 -

Definitely use one of the agar recipes, the easyest is the PDA.
If you don?t have dextrose handy, you can use sacharose(household sugar).
Substitute only a part of the water you?re gona use with the straw water.

500 ml agar will give you enough agar for filling 20+ dishes. Pour app 4 mm thick.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: Anno]
    #559157 -

that be sucrose(glucose + fructose)...aka table sugar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Free agar.. now what.. [Re: ]
    #559180 -

Glass snapple bottles work great for a flask. Just add your hot water and agar (optionally you can dissolve the agar in the water first then add both to the bottle) then stuff some polyfill into the mouth of the bottle, slap a little tin foil on and pressure cook the bad boy. Then when your ready to pour just take the tin foil and polyfill off.


--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* This place sent me free agar... *DELETED* psilocybe cubensis 1,982 18 11/20/01 03:38 PM
by Tamrylin
* Some proven agar nutrient media recipes Una 13,451 11 10/03/04 01:15 PM
by YSr
* Instant Mashed Potato Agar - Who's tried it? Nighted 8,478 6 05/09/20 02:36 PM
by bodhisatta
* Questions On Agar ParticleMan 3,558 13 03/27/02 10:11 PM
by Shaw
* First time w/ agar. Joshua 2,255 12 12/09/01 07:39 PM
by Joshua
* readymade agar medium? felixhigh 1,184 2 11/16/01 04:28 PM
by felixhigh
* Agar Question... dice68 1,682 6 11/07/01 01:21 PM
by iudexk
* Agar Substrate?
( 1 2 all )
Zero7a1 5,902 21 11/13/02 01:27 AM
by On_the_Down-Low

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta
1,447 topic views. 0 members, 8 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.