Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!)
    #5518117 -

My computer has made "just say no" its motto, rejecting all sorts of hardware.

-when you reboot you can't boot from disk because on startup the drives are not recognised. They (CD-RW + DVD-RW) work perfectly once the installed OS is running though.

-My RAID 1 backup HDD is no longer recognised ("degraded")

-Occasionally I'm tossed offline (cable modem not recognised perhaps?) and then only a reboot helps. But! If I reboot during these occasions (and only then) the windows shutdown procedure hangs just shy of turning off the computer: the drives are no longer used, but it doesnt shut off either: I have to use the on/off button to put it out of its misery because it won't go either way.


These might be unrelated problems but to me they seem related because they all revolve around the puter failing to recognise hardware.

I use Windows XP Home/SP2  :blush:

Can someone help me out here, I bet one of you can help me beyond "get a real OS" and "never buy Dell", both of which are true :wink:


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518284 -

go into your bios and change your boot order so that your cd-rom drive is 1st.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518605 -

hmmmm

do you have the latest bios?


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518649 -

The plot thickens...

Quote:
-when you reboot you can't boot from disk because on startup the drives are not recognised. They (CD-RW + DVD-RW) work perfectly once the installed OS is running though.



This one was remedied by the change in boot sequence, strange how it could be the other way around by default.. Thanks a lot for that one.


Quote:
-Occasionally I'm tossed offline (cable modem not recognised perhaps?) and then only a reboot helps. But! If I reboot during these occasions (and only then) the windows shutdown procedure hangs just shy of turning off the computer: the drives are no longer used, but it doesnt shut off either: I have to use the on/off button to put it out of its misery because it won't go either way.




This exact same thing just happened with knoppix :shocked:
The computer lay dead as a beached whale between "sending the KILL signal" and whatever would be next.

As for BIOS, its as new as the machine it came in, methinks :confused:


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518877 -

You should check that out. Hardware updates are always around even with new hardware. The DFI board I just baught is fairly new and there were many updates for it.

do you use on-board LAN or a LAN card?


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5519470 -

can you elaborate when you say ("degraded") in reference to your hard drive? when you go into device manager (in your control panel, system, hardware), do you see a listing for all your hard drives? perhaps one of them is disabled, has a conflict? if so, in likelihood, you could just delete it from your device manager and upon reboot it will reinstall the driver and reconfigure it correctly.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #5520464 -

Hurrah, I got my RAID system to work again (thanks a lot)

I decided to go in denial and mark the "Defective" HDD as "Functional".
I did nothing to remedy the problem, whatever it was, but immediately the disk began spinning and restored its function as a RAID backup disk.

WTF.. It apparently was "defective" because it *said* it was defective.. Mebbe some software spasm flipped that switch.. :confused:


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Edited by Asante (04/16/06 09:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5532384 -

Aye, could very well be, I've never seen "defective/functional" options so much as "enabled/disabled".

As for your other problem with the cable modem, when you're kicked offline does the connection light on the cable modem go out or flash abnormally? This information will help determine whether it's the cable connection or the computer that's misbehaving.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Computer Ideas! encryptor 1,820 16 12/17/05 09:02 AM
by kotik
* Why does my computer turns off by itself...
( 1 2 all )
esin 9,476 22 02/22/08 03:12 PM
by killa3794
* Is this a good computer course to study?
( 1 2 all )
Jalruza 2,926 27 10/26/06 08:36 AM
by Jalruza
* software i need to buy for a home computer build
( 1 2 all )
agoutihead 3,678 23 05/16/07 08:58 AM
by labrat265
* !!!My Dream Computer!!! Fungi_x 1,266 15 04/20/07 02:41 PM
by RuNE
* building your own computer Thin White Duke 2,183 14 08/20/05 10:50 AM
by abhi
* computers works,but there is something wrong with it...(little help?) Deathexplosion 619 4 07/02/05 03:03 PM
by RuNE
* New computer problems. Please help. Wronguy 1,134 8 04/10/06 11:25 PM
by RuNE

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
706 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.