Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
So tell me about beans
    #5476313 -

I've recently discovered that my childhood taste buds are no longer my current taste buds. I used to despise beans and now I'm slowly beginning to like them.

However, I don't know shit about beans. Never ate them ever. Don't know what kinds of beans there are, or what they taste like. How to cook em...etc.

I always end up buying a big can of baked beans at Kroger, either Bush's or that other brand..but those are the only beans I ever eat. What kind of beans are in baked beans anyway?

What kind of spices can go well with beans? What kind of carb? Rice?

Enlighten me if you will.


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: freddurgan]
    #5476528 -

Staple of my diet...

I prefer dark red kidney beans, black eyed peas, or black beans. Sauteed onion, garlic, some bell peppers if they aren't too expensive... a little fresh tomato and basil... seasoned with a little black pepper. Served on rice along with a baked or nuked sweet potato. Best, cheapest meal ever.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: freddurgan]
    #5477730 -

Oh beans, beans the musical fruit - fuckin' love 'em! :heart:

I'd roll with them black beans anyday, in salads or relish mixes for sure.  Por ejemplo, bust a black bean 'n corn relish. 
  • Bring 2-8 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a simmer(amount will depend on how much of the relish you are making, you want it to be coated with a thin layer of oil when all is said and done). 

  • Simmer for one minute: 1-2 cloves of finely minced or crushed Garlic with a 1/3 to 1 whole teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.  Turn off heat and toss your red bell pepper into the hot oil so the heat remaining in the pan will soften it a bit.  Add a bit of salt, and let this infused oil mixture cool the fuck down.

  • Mix 1 "share" of cold, rinsed, and drained black beans with one share cold, rinsed, and drained corn kernels.  Add 1/3 share chopped tomato, a few tablespoons of minced red onion, and 1-4 tsp of white vinegar.  Then toss in 1/4 share Chives or Scallions.  Add your cooled oil and bell pepper mixture into it all.  Taste and spice as needed with salt and (preferably freshly ground) black pepper.


Ok.. maybe I got a little carried away there, but I bet it'd be a s'kickin' relish to go alongside some crab cakes or even some smothered pork chops.  :drooling: 

Back to topic. Refried beans (not them fat free ones neither! :nonono: ) are great in quesadillas, burritos, atop nachos esp. w/ jalapenos to compliment.  Make dips out of it too - onion, tomatoes, corn, hot sauce, cheese, the possibilities are definitely out there.

Mixed beans are freakin' fantastic for use in pressure cookers alongside melt in yo' mouth chicken with curry seasonings, or included in stews or hearty ham 'n bean soups too.  Pintos will rock some ham in a crockpot. :thumbup:

Beans definitely kick ass.  But I do know what you mean about changing tastes.  My palate has expanded significantly into realms I'd only shuddered at the thought of as a wee one :tongue2:



--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: geokills]
    #5480957 -

Eat like a Ninja.
Adzuki beans soaked over night.
Drained Replace water 2:1 ratio 1 cup Beans 2 cups Water.
Bring to a boil. Drop to a simmer for one hour.
Drain excess water.
Mix with cooked brown rice.
Saute Onion, Garlic Soy. Sesame .Broccoli. or Bok Choy
Mix All together. Add Soy sauce.

Go kill some Samurai.

Drop meat out of your diet and any legume and rice dish together will surpass the nutritional value of meat, without the carcinogens, hidden disease suffering and mind clogging.

Don't Salt Your Beans until they have fully cooked, otherwise the beans will not soak up enough water, making them harder to digest. (GAS)


--------------------
lolwut

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: freddurgan]
    #5481262 -

I love beans in a salad.

Get a can of garbanzo beans and one of red kidney beans. Make your salad like normal, add the beans and sunflower seeds. Kick ass good stuff.


--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: GabbaDj]
    #5481368 -

Adzuki are definately the way to go - - my mom makes the nicest stew with adzuki, rice, chopped veggies (not ninja style tho - gotta try that).

Somehow I can't get the spices right when I make it though...apparently the secret is this stuff 'bean herb' (Bohnenkraut in german) that works wonders. Anyone know what that might be?

geokills, that relish is going in my stomach asap. sounds SO good.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: Hypercube]
    #5481501 -

I lived on black eyed peas, rice and jiffy cornbread for all of 2005.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: Rustifer]
    #5492257 -

Wow, do all beans take like 2 hours to cook? I went to Publix yesterday to check out some bean selections and they all take -forever-. I'm going to have to start planning out meals as opposed to eating when I'm hungry.


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: freddurgan]
    #5492663 -

This is the Shroomery - most of ya should have a pressure cooker layin' around
somewhere - pressure cookin' is the surefire way to get your beans soft, quick! 

Great for makin' an entire stew/soup of beans/chicken/curry/onions, serve atop rice with fresh cilantro and hot sauce.. :drooling:

[Click here to peep these cooking times w/ and w/o a P.C.]


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: So tell me about beans [Re: geokills]
    #5494067 -

Nice website man! Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I wanted.


--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How to make Natto or Slima beans falcon 7,299 13 02/28/24 04:27 PM
by falcon
* . z_x_x_z 598 7 05/19/09 07:30 AM
by maldon
* Red Beans and Rice - Breakfast uses Winter_Goose 1,787 5 01/23/07 08:24 AM
by Winter_Goose
* Moar Creole Cooking w/ Cortez: Red Beans & Rice
( 1 2 all )
cortex 2,899 22 08/17/10 05:42 AM
by Acidic_Sloth
* Black beans and rice anyone? mushbaby 1,073 11 11/06/07 10:18 PM
by PDU
* Cooking dried beans! - I'm terrible at it, help!
( 1 2 all )
freddurgan 3,859 21 06/26/07 08:00 PM
by falcon
* softening beans TODAY 2,482 10 06/18/05 11:53 AM
by daussaulit
* Bean dip, layered or otherwise allreadyused 194 0 12/13/15 04:18 PM
by allreadyused

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
1,411 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.