Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit
    #5243124 - 01/30/06 05:42 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

now I know that most people here at the shroomery are into techno  :rolleyes: which is ok I still love y'all, but for those of us who like our music a little more edgy let's talk moshing.

I saw Deerhoof live in concert on Friday and I was blown away. This was one of the best shows I've been to in my life, and can't recommend Deerhoof enough for those of you who like loud, fast, exciting, complex, rollercoaster music. They are so inventive.

Well anyway one of the reasons I was into this show was because the crowd was totally involved. It was almost a physical experience, when the music got particularly exciting everyone started jumping around and crowd surfing. It reminded me of when I was a kid and I first started going to concerts in the early 90s...just totally releasing your body and mind to the music and the people around you. I love that feeling.

Anyone sick of how indie rock has everyone standing around nodding their heads at shows? What happened to celebrating and release and getting into it? Where can I go to find other moshing souls?

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegoodoldrascal
protege

Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5243622 - 01/30/06 07:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I feel your pain Gluke!  I too have had far too much of insecure head noddng for my taste.  Glad to see someone on this site into Deerhof.  You know Animal Collective, right?  If not check out their last two albums.  Their old stuff is great, more droney than their new stuff.  Their taking drone and noise/field recording to a pop mentality, incororating harmony etc...  Also, their seem to share our appreciation for psychedelics :wink:

I know they're my fav., let's keep this going...

--------------------
Recent Discovery: Check out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, relevant information, and esp. Leary's translation/interpretation. I hope you will be as astounded by this ancient texts' relevance to the psychedelic experience as I have been.

Edited by goodoldrascal (01/30/06 07:22 PM)

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5244256 - 01/30/06 09:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, deerhoof is good.

Anyone sick of how indie rock has everyone standing around nodding their heads at shows? What happened to celebrating and release and getting into it? Where can I go to find other moshing souls?

-death from above 1979-

--------------------

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5244906 - 01/31/06 12:04 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/03/13 11:58 PM)

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #5245834 - 01/31/06 08:27 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You know, even in the techno-world, I can some-what relate. I've been to far too many techno parties where it's full of chin-stokers who are to busy being 'intellectual and analyzing the mixing skills of the DJ' and not dancing. Room full of people, and no one dancing.

I'll just be 'bah, fuckit' and start rocking out in my own little world and not a care in the world if I'm the only one dancing or not :smile:

On a side-note, I've been to a few psytrance parties where the dancefloor has burst out into a mosh-pit/slam-dance kinda thing with people jumping into each other, throwing each other around, etc - good fun :smile:

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: goodoldrascal]
    #5246153 - 01/31/06 10:19 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

goodoldrascal said:
I feel your pain Gluke!  I too have had far too much of insecure head noddng for my taste.  Glad to see someone on this site into Deerhof.  You know Animal Collective, right?  If not check out their last two albums.  Their old stuff is great, more droney than their new stuff.  Their taking drone and noise/field recording to a pop mentality, incororating harmony etc...  Also, their seem to share our appreciation for psychedelics :wink:

I know they're my fav., let's keep this going...

Animal Collective is great...and two of them went to the high school right next to mine at the same time I was there. So they're pretty big around these parts. The new album is really fantastic...but I have yet to see them live.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: kaniz]
    #5246164 - 01/31/06 10:21 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Really? People aren't even dancing to dance music anymore?  :shocked:
When did everything get so self-concious?

I think its time for a musical revolution of sorts.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: wilshire]
    #5246201 - 01/31/06 10:28 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'll check them out.

Another good group that sort of bridges the gap between rock and techno is !!!
They are great live. Check em out
http://www.brainwashed.com/!!!/

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#5246457 - 01/31/06 11:27 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Really? People aren't even dancing to dance music anymore?
When did everything get so self-concious?

I think its time for a musical revolution of sorts.

A musical revolution or a crowd response revolution?  :smirk:

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: Viveka]
    #5246505 - 01/31/06 11:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It depends on the party. Parties that play house music/trance or harder-edge stuff get people up and dancing. But, at alot of the Techno parties I've been to, there is alot of standing and chin-stroking. Its been pretty rare I've seen a techno party go off the hook.

That being said - Montreal has to be one of the best party cities in Canada. People there just let lose, go wild, get into it and have fun. I've seen people body-surfing at dance-music events, people get tossed into the air like crazy acrobats, people just jumping around, letting lose, being retarted and loving it.

Offlinegoodoldrascal
protege

#5247237 - 01/31/06 02:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Gluke----> that's awesome that you grew up in nearly the same town as those guys... Suburbs of NY? I was so happy hearing Feels for my first time, I love their more droney stuff, but I was also so in love with their more coherent poppy songs, (i.e. track 1&2 on Sung Tongs). I feel that the latter style is more ground breaking in that it's encorperating noise, drone, field recordings into harmony... I as well, have yet to see them live---> you should check out their new label's homepage, there's some awesome video recordings a recent tour.

Did they play music in high school? any funny/interesting stories?

--------------------
Recent Discovery: Check out the Tibetan Book of the Dead, relevant information, and esp. Leary's translation/interpretation. I hope you will be as astounded by this ancient texts' relevance to the psychedelic experience as I have been.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Re: Deerhoof in concert and bringing back the moshpit [Re: goodoldrascal]
    #5251244 - 02/01/06 02:15 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

goodoldrascal said:
Gluke----> that's awesome that you grew up in nearly the same town as those guys... Suburbs of NY? I was so happy hearing Feels for my first time, I love their more droney stuff, but I was also so in love with their more coherent poppy songs, (i.e. track 1&2 on Sung Tongs). I feel that the latter style is more ground breaking in that it's encorperating noise, drone, field recordings into harmony... I as well, have yet to see them live---> you should check out their new label's homepage, there's some awesome video recordings a recent tour.

Did they play music in high school? any funny/interesting stories?

Actually the suburbs of baltimore. At least that is where two of the guys are from.
I didn't really know them that well, I just knew them because they were in a band and word gets around the baltimore music scene pretty quickly. I think the name of the band was Sic Transit. They were good for a bunch of dudes in high school, but at that point in their lives nothing particularly exciting. But the girls definitely loved them!
Unfortunately I got no stories...I didn't really take stock until I was listening to animal collective with a friend and he mentioned that two of the guys went to Park School, and I remembered them. Glad that someone from baltimore is makin it with music.

--------------------

- Thomas Paine

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom