Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEndlessJourney
Crazy Man In TheCorner
Loc: Parkwood in Far Northeast...
Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil
    #497510 - 12/21/01 02:41 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I dont know about anyone else but am I the only one who gets realy fucked up off a little dose of anything? I thought it might have somthing to do with my attention Deficit Disorder...
or maybe being mentaly gifted.....?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: EndlessJourney]
    #497659 - 12/21/01 09:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

EndlessJourney---Be careful!!! Learning disabilities (and I have them as well) means that your brain chemistry is different than other people's. If my doctor gives me a prescription, I often have to reduce the dosage because the prescribed amount can knock me on my back (or butt) for several days. Same with over the counter stuff. An amount of shrooms that makes "most" people trip can really send you over the edge. If you're under 21 it gets worse! Even if you're late 20's-early 30's your chances of having a serious injury (like a head trauma from falling while tripping) are increased because your "frontal lobes" (front part of the brain where your forehead is) is not fully developed yet---and we are still talking about that brain of yours that doesn't work like other people's brains to begin with... If you are under 21 and have ADD/ADHD...consider not tripping until you learn the normal coping skills to get through life and deal with stress... (I know I sound like your mother---well, I'm a guy-so I guess I sound like your father...) but I've seen the under 21 ADD/ADHD crowd trip for kixxs... and end up in rehab... or on probation... it's not worth it... NEVER USE ANY DRUG TO COPE WITH PROBLEMS OR GET AWAY FROM STRESS...

---Use your head-the one that doesn't work like everyone else's (I'm just kidding---remember---I'm one of you to---Learning disability, I mean...)

---Always be safe---Tannis...

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #498070 - 12/21/01 07:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I am considered "gifted" intellectually, and I am suspected of having ADD (although I'm not on any scrips right now).

It takes extremely small doses of ANYTHING to put me through the roof, with the exception of pain killers. So you may be on to something here.

Side note: does anyone else with a really high pain tolerance notice that it takes 2x-3x the dose of pain killers to have any effect? I have a rather high pain tolerance (once broke my arm, major break, and still went skiing every day for two weeks before going to the hospital. also broke my ankle last year, never did get a cast) and seem to have a high tolerance to pain killers. Anyone else experience this?

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: Tannis]
    #498072 - 12/21/01 07:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't classify ADD/ADHD as a "learning disability". Yes, it causes problems with learning...but usually people with ADD can still learn 100% as fast (or faster...in my case) as people who do not have ADD, if they really put their minds to it.

And as far as I know, ADD/ADHD is not caused by an underdeveloped brain.

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

OfflineDXMHEAD420
veteran
Loc: ohio
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: trendal]
    #498642 - 12/22/01 04:18 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

im in the same boat as you trendal. im considered gifted, and suspected of having adhd. im not hyper at all, so i dont know. anyways, i also relate to you on the pain thing. i have a high tolerance for pain, and painkillers dont do much for me at all.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: DXMHEAD420]
    #498853 - 12/22/01 10:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You may have ADD, as opposed to ADHD, if you are not hyper. I am not hyper at ALL, unless my caffeine supply runs low (different story altogether).

ADD - not hyper, with attention deficit
ADHD - attention deficit, very hyper

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

OfflineMan
journeyman
Loc: Canada, eh
    #500923 - 12/25/01 05:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I also have I high pain tolerance and broke my neck (fracured c7) mountainbiking. My doc gave my T3 but that litterally did nothing and so I got something stronger, Diclofenac, but that still hardly does anything. Gets me hella high when I smoke weed though. I find it takes 2x, 3x the dosage of anything to get effects. Except weed. A few years ago it seemed I couldnt even get high from shrooms, took 3 and 4 grams with NO effects, but now I appear to have a normal tolerance to shrooms. Although I can handle more shrooms than most people I know. It seems I have exeptionally high tolerance to any medication be it over the counter or RX and high tolerance to stimlulants, I can drink 5 cups of coffee and go to sleep, cocaine feels like coffee to me. With hallucinogens it seems I have high tolerance to some and not to others. I dont have ADD or ADHD but I have been diagnosed as depressed and have off the scale theda brain wave activity. I had a hard time in school with subjects I didnt like, like math (32%), but in electronics I got 97% and missed a 1/3 of the semester. I cant concentrate on things Im not interested in and I can concentrate for hours on something I am interested in. My electronics teacher belived Im gifted but my math teacher thought I was retarted. I would like to hear more from people with strange tolerances and mental quirks (if thats the right word, quirks). Its interesting to see how tolerances correlate with mental quirks/conditions/inbalaces.

OfflineEndlessJourney
Crazy Man In TheCorner
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: Tannis]
    #501154 - 12/25/01 11:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Tannis- Just one quick note. I used to use pot to escape from my problems, but last year when i got kicked out of school (Thats another story though) I did alot of thinking and realized I should slow down a bit and take account for all of the things I missed out on, and all the family problems I caused.
Now I use psychedelics for artistic/ musical reasons only.

-You made a valuable point though-

OfflineEndlessJourney
Crazy Man In TheCorner
    #501159 - 12/25/01 11:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Trendal- quite recently they changed alot of the descriptinons of ADD/ADHD. They got rid of ADHD and made it only ADD: Passive , Active , and some flip-flop one that they didnt know about before:
Active- Previously ADHD
????( I forget the name)- flips between the two
Passive- Previously ADD

A side note- I also enjoy a low tolerance to Psychadelics... lol..

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
    #501479 - 12/26/01 11:00 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

trendal---I have an extremely high tolerance to pain. I was having surgery on my foot once and the doctor put a needle into the joint of my toe...5x He looked up at me and said, "You didn't even flinch!" I told him I was using the force... Another time I had dental surgery and I kept coming out from under the anestetic... It took four people to hold me down! Even though I have trouble with some subjects, other stuff comes to me like I'm gifted and I could out think people older than me ever since I was a little kid...

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
    #501483 - 12/26/01 11:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That's a relief! I know the people who love their pot won't appreciate this but it (pot) can really affect and slow your brain... I think that's why people use it so much... it slows down all that "hurry" and "intensity" in your head when things aren't going right... makes it easier to cope (I'm not saying all people who smoke weed-smoke because of problems... I'm just saying that it works as a "quick" solution but gradually slows down your brain...) Remember that your creativity and the artistic/musical abilities you have are in you... You're just using a substance to fine tune into them...

The magic is in the magician... ...Tannis

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does anyone have problems with ADD/ADHD etc. whil [Re: Man]
    #501778 - 12/26/01 09:27 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

My high tolerance ONLY covers pain killers. Any other drug I take...I have an extremely low tolerance to. I get 2x as high as anyone I know from the same dosage of anything other than pain killers (shrooms, pot, dxm being the worst so far).

--------------------
But you feel it;
Driving you mad.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #501793 - 12/26/01 09:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i have the unncany ability to memorize sounds images and information that is of interest or immidiate use to me.
i am also great at solving problems. and i pick up skills fasterthan anyone ive ever met. i am talented and intelligent. unfortunetely i lack the ability to pay attention. even when i TRY to pay attenion i am distracted by my own effort.
i have limitless energy and creativity.
unfortunately the world doest have much use for a monkey that cant be shot into space.

--------------------

OfflineUrQuattro
Paradigm Shifter

Loc: SFCAUSA
a paper i wrote on add [Re: Mitchnast]
    #502066 - 12/27/01 03:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I wrote this for my college writing class...thought it might apply here...lemme know what you think.

I have always been the misfit, the teased child, the outcast; nothing made sense. I could not even fit in during class time. Nothing teachers said ever seemed to sink in to my mind. I tried as hard as possible to memorize math problems, grammar, history, and all subjects presented, without success. Memorization and rote work seemed beyond my capabilities. It was not that I could not understand the information; actually, the information itself was simple to me. The problem was concentration on repetitive, seemingly unnecessary work that did nothing to teach me the knowledge I craved. I consistently scored among the highest in the nation on standardized tests, but my grades did not reflect my potential. Homework seemed useless to me. Why should I take work home to learn something I already knew, just so that I could demonstrate that knowledge to my teacher? Is that not what tests are for? Why should I memorize a given example when the concept is what I was interested in learning? Why was every bit of everyday life so overwhelming, and yet abstract reasoning and logic so consistently fluent and native to my consciousness?

Some teachers suggested that I simply work harder, implying that laziness prevented me from scholastic success. I replied that I knew not how to try harder. I would attempt to do the homework, only to be unable, despite all my conscious effort, to complete the assignments. Unwillingness to work was not the issue; inability to do their work was the problem. This point was proven upon encountering high school biology. For the first time, a teacher seemed to understand how to teach to me. Memorization was mostly unnecessary; homework assignments taught concepts, not examples. Testing and in-class participation carried the most weight in grading. For the first time, I was legitimately challenged to do well in a class. The result was that I received the highest percentage grade in the history of his course at the end of each semester. It took years for me to realize exactly why this change in my performance occurred, and subsequently to understand the answer to the questions I posed as a younger child.

Answers came in the discovery of the Meyers-Briggs Type Index (MBTI) personality typing system. This system tests an individual and uses eight different functions to describe their typical behavior and thought patterns. Each person is asked a series of questions on how they perceive themselves, ranging from how they feel in crowds, to how they feel about facts versus truth. The cumulative data add up to one of sixteen personality types, consisting of four main functions each.

The first function is Extraverted (E) versus Introverted (I). Many have the connotations that these are the differences between outgoing and shy when, actually, it is quite possible to be a shy extravert, and an outgoing introvert. Mentally and behaviorally, extraverts focus on the external world, while the introvert focuses on their internal world.

The second function is iNtuition (N) versus Sensing (S), and refers to the method a person uses to gather information. Intuition is described as an ?irrational? characteristic. It describes leaps in thought leading to insights that do not seem to follow obvious, rational, concrete steps. The converse of this function is Sensing, referring to a person?s ability to gather information about the world through their five senses, and interpret this information literally.

The third function described in this system is Thinking (T) versus Feeling (F). This function simply describes the primary thought processes of the individual. A ?T? based person thinks in terms of rationality and non-emotional judgements. They will base their decisions on what seems to make sense in a logical way. ?F? types tend to make value decisions based on what feels right emotionally.

The final function is Judging (J) versus Perceiving (P). This function describes the person?s attitude toward the external world. Judging types want consistency, schedules, or to establish order. Perceiving types tend to be extremely flexible, dislike schedules, and want to leave decisions open-ended and spontaneous.

I found that personality types are not evenly distributed throughout the population; only 1% share mine: INTP. This discovery explained my inability to find others whom I could identify with, vindicated my self-image, and confirmed my goals, thoughts, and ideals to be ?normal.?

Delving deeper into the implications for these results, I became intrigued by Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADD, as I showed nearly every ADD characteristic, yet according to the MBTI, I was perfectly healthy and normal. How is it possible to be simultaneously normal and dysfunctional? This paradox sparked an intuitive leap, leading me to the thought that individuals with ADD are not necessarily deficient in attention, but that mainstream society is deficient in ability to cope with those who think differently.

Examining the inherent behavior characteristics of ?NP? types, and especially ?INPs,? many similarities to those personalities diagnosed with ADD become clear. Impulsivity with thoughts leading to disorganization, inattention for ?boring? activities or memorization, internal perfectionism, and underachievement are just a few of the many traits shared among these types (Keirsey, ADD Hoax). In addition, the overwhelming prevalence of the SJ type, who thrive on rote memorization, following schedules, rules, and generally enforcing structure, shows the first inklings of why a diagnosis of disability would even be conceived for those rare ?NP? personalities.

By nature, ?J? types tend to be unwilling to accept views other than their own. They make decisions based on what they know and see, but unfortunately do not typically accept differences as valid. Life becomes an either/or situation; there can be no two rights, only a right and a wrong. So, given that the overwhelming majority of the populace shares these characteristics, one can see that teachers, psychologists, parents and governments would have a large number of judging types present. They make the decisions about school curriculum, the decisions regarding mental disability diagnoses, raise children who they are unable to identify with, and are those who pass laws controlling each of the former parties. If they are unwilling to see past their own perspectives on how life should and should not progress, then the minority, those who do not function similarly mentally, will be stifled and trodden upon.

ADD is typically treated with amphetamines, and chemically related drugs. These drugs increase the ability for a person to focus by giving the perception that the task at hand is overly interesting, as well as causing the person to desire more structure and order. They tend to increase obsessive tendencies as well as impulse control, which leads to this desire for order in the external world. In effect, amphetamines change the personalities of these individuals to fit the masses. Only after these drugs have taken effect is the majority able to accept them and subsequently been given the ability to learn and to function in a ?normal? way. Unfortunately, these drugs are also very dangerous in the long-term. They are known neurotoxins, and can have extreme detrimental effects to chronic users. As David Keirsey writes, ?And make no mistake about the power of Ritalin to disable and eventually shrink the brain. It differs little in its destructive effects from cocaine and the amphetamines . . . ?

As those who control society, especially the medical and educational communities, influence the definitions of what normal is and what it is not, any deviation from their standard will be considered a deficiency of some kind, and in turn, disorders will be created in order to explain these differences. Instead of embracing the fact that every type of personality is needed to run this world, society is turning a blind eye toward those who are different, and attempting to train them, either through behavior modification or drugs, to fit with the established norm. This practice must stop in order to allow the development of each person as a true individual, and all must learn to accept that humans differ not only in skin color, sexual preference, and gender, but also in thought processes.

--------------------
True wisdom is the knowledge that nothing is impossible except for absolute knowledge.

Edited by UrQuattro (12/27/01 03:52 AM)

Offlinetoo_many_weirdos
it's a jungle inhere
Loc: Ithaca, NY
Re: a paper i wrote on add [Re: UrQuattro]
    #502238 - 12/27/01 10:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

good essay...i too have been thinking about these same exact issues lately

recently i've been wondering if i have add, i really don't know, but i fit every single symptom of add there is...i dunno

i seem to be following the same path as you quattro. in fact, in that paper, i felt the whole time like you were talking about me.
is this personality typing test available on the internet? where does one go to take this test.

good to know there are people out there dealing with the exact same issues i am

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Re: a paper i wrote on add [Re: UrQuattro]
    #503106 - 12/28/01 09:34 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

...cool paper!!! I never did fit in!!!
I'm "INFP"...Tannis

Invisiblemycophyl
journeyman
Loc: U.S.A. midwest
    #504775 - 12/30/01 02:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

many that suffer from ADD/ADHD etc ,also suffer from OCD Here is some info on some ongoing studies using PSILOCYBIN http://maps.org/research/index.html#PSILOCYBIN

OfflineJust a Punk
Shithawk

Loc: Canada
    #507513 - 01/02/02 11:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

Getting good and plastered off a little dose of anything is probably more related to your body's metabolism than your ADD. I have ADD as well and my tolerance for drugs is about normal.

I don't personally feel that ADD is a disability, although having it can be frustrating at times. My brain is certainly not "undeveloped".

To have "ADD" is to simply think differently, and more abstractly, than the average person. I doubt most ADD patients even need the medication they take.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
:B

Offlineparaterrestrial
    #510426 - 01/04/02 09:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I am also in this boat! wow, I think that the concentration says something.... (and the fact that nearly all of us have been assumed to have something "wrong" with them is also interesting) I noticed also that I need far fewer drugs to get me going (especially psyc.'s) I dont have to really eat very much to get a level 5 trip. I have noticed that I am almost completely disinterested in a party-trip setting. the only thing that I like to do anymore is dose, put on good music and close my eyes. Has anyone else noticed that the period of alienation after the trip (as discribed by the shroomery (ex. feeling disconnected with society and being annoyed with the money-chasing insanity that is involved)) is especially intense?

Peace!

--------------------
Perception is not reality.

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
    #510906 - 01/05/02 12:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The undeveloped part of the brain I mentioned was the frontal lobes. They don't develop completely until the late 20's or mid 30's. This does not "cause" ADD or ADHD but can be an added risk factor when an individual with ADD or ADHD introduces drugs into the brain chemistry. People with ADD or ADHD do not have the "condition" (or whatever you want to call it) because of undeveloped brains, they have normal brains that function differently.

The original question had to do with why drugs seem to have different effects on the author and he stated he was ADD and wondered if this had anything to do with it.

for clarification....Tannis

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience