Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next?
    #4744489 - 10/02/05 09:19 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16417002%5E30417,00.html

Scientists have created "miracle mice" that can regenerate amputated limbs or damaged vital organs, making them able to recover from injuries that would kill or permanently disable normal animals.

The experimental animals are unique among mammals in their ability to regrow their heart, toes, joints and tail.

And when cells from the test mouse are injected into ordinary mice, they too acquire the ability to regenerate, the US-based researchers say.

Their discoveries raise the prospect that humans could one day be given the ability to regenerate lost or damaged organs, opening up a new era in medicine.

Details of the research will be presented next week at a scientific conference on ageing titled Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence, at Cambridge University in Britain.

The research leader, Ellen Heber-Katz, professor of immunology at the Wistar Institute, a US biomedical research centre, said the ability of the mice at her laboratory to regenerate organs appeared to be controlled by about a dozen genes.

Professor Heber-Katz says she is still researching the genes' exact functions, but it seems almost certain humans have comparable genes.

"We have experimented with amputating or damaging several different organs, such as the heart, toes, tail and ears, and just watched them regrow," she said.

"It is quite remarkable. The only organ that did not grow back was the brain.

"When we injected fetal liver cells taken from those animals into ordinary mice, they too gained the power of regeneration. We found this persisted even six months after the injection."

Professor Heber-Katz made her discovery when she noticed the identification holes that scientists punch in the ears of experimental mice healed without any signs of scarring in the animals at her laboratory.

The self-healing mice, from a strain known as MRL, were then subjected to a series of surgical procedures. In one case the mice had their toes amputated -- but the digits grew back, complete with joints.

In another test some of the tail was cut off, and this also regenerated. Then the researchers used a cryoprobe to freeze parts of the animals' hearts, and watched them grow back again. A similar phenomenon was observed when the optic nerve was severed and the liver partially destroyed.

The researchers believe the same genes could confer greater longevity and are measuring their animals' survival rate. However, the mice are only 18 months old, and the normal lifespan is two years so it is too early to reach firm conclusions.

Scientists have long known that less complex creatures have an impressive ability to regenerate. Many fish and amphibians can regrow internal organs or even whole limbs.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineduster
psychadelicgardener
Male User Gallery

Loc: ARIZONA,TRANSLVANIAA,ETC....
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4744643 - 10/02/05 10:34 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

this is probaly the most amazing news ive heard all year! fucking brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Life is created out of the seeking of knowledge."

OfflineOzzyOz
Stranger
Loc: Nowhereland
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: duster]
    #4744840 - 10/02/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

that's crazy!
in a good way! :-)

hopefully they can apply this to humans...

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4745179 - 10/02/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Right on! I've been waiting for these kind of things to get going :smile:

Physical immortality is potentially just around the corner.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: trendal]
    #4745561 - 10/02/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Wonder what the fundamentalists are going to say about this! Waaaaaaay to progressive.

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4745657 - 10/02/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Whoa! I didn't think scientists were this close to this sort of thing, yet. This is incredible news!  :eek:

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4746735 - 10/02/05 10:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

damn that is incredible.. jeez.. speechless

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Banez]
    #4746944 - 10/02/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Great. People will live for ever.

Good Bye Population Control. Hello Mass Starvation and Ecological Disaster...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4747482 - 10/03/05 01:11 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This will simply hasten our search for new hosts.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #4750755 - 10/03/05 08:14 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

People signing up for immortality will have to give up their social security, and childbearing rights.

Also, they may have to kill someone.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4750810 - 10/03/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
People signing up for immortality will have to give up their social security, and childbearing rights.

Also, they may have to kill someone.

No children, and I get to kill someone? Sweet! Where do I sign?

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4750813 - 10/03/05 08:29 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

BTW, do we get to choose who we kill? Are politicians off-limits?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4750854 - 10/03/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, it would probably be one or the other.

You could get a permit to have a child by killing someone that you can prove to the government is most likely to be less productive than your offspring.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4751206 - 10/03/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, sounds like a win-win situation.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Scientists create super mice that regenerate lost limbs. Are super humans next? [Re: Silversoul]
    #4751665 - 10/03/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Then there's the revenge killings.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4753073 - 10/04/05 08:50 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I like your magazine and would like to subscribe to it.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#4754467 - 10/04/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

The technology is here. We're next Skorpvio :smile:

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OnlineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #4758991 - 10/05/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Holy Shit!! That's Incredible!! Very interesting, I'm eager to see the crossover to humans. What a break through!!

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4759189 - 10/05/05 03:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I'd like to point out that no-one except this one website has reported on this.

Can you say vaporware?

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4759295 - 10/05/05 03:59 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
I'd like to point out that no-one except this one website has reported on this.

Not so...

From Wired News.

Earlier work that led up to this

Dr Ellen Heber-Katz presented her findings at the SENS 2 conference, and here's an abstract for her presentation.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Science and Technology