Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms
    #2799314 - 06/16/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...eleportation_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - It is not quite the "Beam me up Scotty" teleportation of Star Trek, but teams of scientists said Wednesday they had made properties jump from one atom to another without using any physical link.

Physicists in the United States and Austria for the first time have teleported "quantum states" between separate atoms.

The breakthrough may not yet make it possible for people to disappear and reappear somewhere else, like actors in a science fiction television show. But it could help lead to "quantum computing" technology that would make superfast computers.

Quantum states include physical properties such as energy, motion and magnetic field.

"We've done it for the first time with massive particles, with atoms," Rainer Blatt, of the University of Innsbruck in Austria, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Two years ago scientists at the Australian National University announced they had teleported a laser beam of light from one spot to another in a split second.

Blatt and his colleagues and another team of scientists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in Boulder, Colorado, reported the first teleportation of atoms in two reports in the science journal Nature.

The basic theory of quantum teleportation was outlined in 1993 by physicist Charles Bennett and his colleagues.

Quantum computing requires manipulation of information contained in the quantum states of the atoms.

"Using teleportation as we've reported could allow logic operations to be performed much more quickly," physicist David Wineland, the leader of the NIST team, explained in a statement.

The research involved quantum entanglement -- in which the quantum states of two or more particles are linked without physical contact.

"There are quite a few implications ... more on the scientific side," Blatt said. "We are far away from beamers, like beam me up Scotty," he added.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying... Flag
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: Seuss]
    #13264915 - 09/29/10 03:39 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

amazing so you posted this back in 2001 or something? I didn't know they had done this. insane.

what is the equivalent of this if not beam me up? you are changing properties of one atom to another? what types of properties?

to be honest I don't believe in matter transportation where it disappears then reappears. if matter was to be transported it would be in such a way where the properties of one thing are exchanged to the properties of something else. so if you had hot water on earth and ice cubes on the enterprise and wanted to make boiling water you could 'beam' the properties up and do so? amazing i wonder if i'll see this work in my life and if it'll ever be as common as a microwave?

thanks for this post I'm surprised no one replied 11 years ago when you posted it

Offlinedoctordarkmatter
Lead farmer
Male
Loc: Colorado
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: imachavel]
    #13294309 - 10/05/10 05:48 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting but pointless for right now. I take that back, the show I was watching stated that to teleport a human or something of living nature you would need either millions upon millions of terabytes of storage(maybe it was billions? ben a while) to teleport something of actual size. But I myself do believe there are other ways of teleportation. The science show was basically saying you would have to make a copy of the person on the other side, state, place or wherever you wanted it to be tele-ported so it can use that data to reconstruct it. And to do that it takes a storage capacity of data that we have not yet reached. I think it was the size of the empire state building full of 100 terabytes hard drives or some crap like that. But to me that seems ridiculous. There has to be some other way to teleport matter, other then using storage like that. quantum storage is still a bit off from our time.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: doctordarkmatter]
    #13294342 - 10/05/10 05:56 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Lol, you really dug up an old thread. This isn't really news and hasn't been for about a decade... haha.

It's FAR from pointless though. This is the first stepping stone along the path to quantum computing. The transfer of the atomic states if done efficiently effectively COULD be a quantum processor.
Sounds like binary to me at least :smile:

--------------------

Offlinedoctordarkmatter
Lead farmer
Male
Loc: Colorado
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: anarchOi]
    #13294445 - 10/05/10 06:20 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Ah, now that is interesting. Rather then large objects like humans etc.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: doctordarkmatter]
    #13296572 - 10/06/10 01:39 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Attempting to teleport humans would be incredibly retarded because you would technically be killing the human and making a duplicate of them.

Therefor, it would ONLY be useful to teleport objects.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #13301090 - 10/06/10 11:06 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HeavyToilet said:
Attempting to teleport humans would be incredibly retarded because you would technically be killing the human and making a duplicate of them.

haha that's where all of this gets really dirty and weird xD

if you haven't already check out a movie called The Prestige. It really puts the concept to work!

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying... Flag
Re: Scientists Demonstrate Teleportation with Atoms [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #13302460 - 10/07/10 07:12 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

HeavyToilet said:

realistically, aside from movies, i agree. how would you zap a person? it would kill them?

if we really discover how one day it'd be real star trek type shit. probably get all types of animal testing cruelty protesters for that experiment. who could blame them?

but i don't think it could be done, if someone one day discovers a way, let me know.

p.s. how does the prestige put the theory to the test? it only reveals that one person doing a teleportation trick has a twin double, and that they swapped wives or something, and that the other guy uses a real teleportation machine.

the cool thing about that movie, is he kills himself every time to make the trick work, and his clone lives on, all because he is jealous over the other guy. an actually fascinating as shit movie. but really doesn't explore possibility of teleporting people. but yeah i don't think it's possible without killing the person.

Edited by imachavel (10/07/10 07:22 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology