Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak'
    #2667444 - 05/12/04 06:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak'

A Japanese scientist has developed a coat which appears to make the wearer invisible.

The illusion was part of a demonstration of optical camouflage technology at Tokyo University.

It is the brainchild of Professor Susumu Tachi who is in the early stage of research he hopes will eventually make camouflaged objects virtually transparent.

The photograph was taken through a viewfinder that uses a combination of moving images taken behind the wearer to give a transparent effect.

It's hoped the technology will be useful for surgeons frustrated their own hands and surgical tools can block their view of operations and pilots who wish cockpit floors were transparent for landings.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #2667464 - 05/12/04 07:11 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

NEAT :smile: 

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Lana]
    #2667849 - 05/12/04 10:14 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This can be very lame, but inspired by science, I was thinking how can I make something invisible. We were studying about waves and also light waves, and that we can't see the ones before infrared and the ones after ultraviolet. We watched a movie (in which, by the way, the professor talking was some goofy stoner from CA :smile:) which presented us how to make colors from the main three, green, red and blue. So with adding and subtracting those main three colors, we get all others we can see. Hm I dont really have the knowledge to make a hypothesis about that, but I think somehow messing with those colors can give us the formula to the invisible *color*, :laugh: Also does someone know if the properties of the sunlight are the same with those of the moonlight?
Ah, a thought I have now when previewing this post- in making the other colors else than the main three, using them, we only add and subtract them. What about multiplying and dividing? Yes, that still uses the same colors, but just in bigger way... but lets presume all those colors have some value (1,2,3,4...). What about multiplying or dividing, for example, with 0? (which will give us 0), and what's the "0" light wave in that case :smile:
-curious T0aD

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: T0aD]
    #2667904 - 05/12/04 10:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ehhhh?
hey t0ad im a bit confused
all light is an electromagnetic wave- gamma rays, xrays, radio waves are all different wavelengths for light- they are all light! You, as a human, can only see visible light - a relatively small part of the spectrum.

moonlight, sunlight, its all the same, just different appearance and interaction with the atmosphere

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2667953 - 05/12/04 11:11 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> Also does someone know if the properties of the sunlight are the same with those of the moonlight?

Moonlight is simply sunlight reflected off the surface of the moon.

> and what's the "0" light wave in that case

Black.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #2668158 - 05/12/04 12:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

/me strokes chin and speaks in over-dubbed voice that is out of sink with the movement of my lips...

"Hmm... Such a magic cloak of invisibility would help me defeat the monster Godzilla!"

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Papaver]
    #2668521 - 05/12/04 02:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Seuss]
    #2668583 - 05/12/04 03:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Moonlight is simply sunlight reflected off the surface of the moon.

You wanna say that all stars only reflect the sunlight, but don't have their own one?
Quote:

> and what's the "0" light wave in that case
Black.

It may also be the light we can't see, but thats an interesting concept though. But as if there's no light the visible color is black, it means only galaxies with suns have life, which is adapted to the light - so think how different other organisms are, that are adapted to live without light - if there are such.
Im full of shit.
:smile:

--------------------
Cuba Libre

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2668769 - 05/12/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> You wanna say that all stars only reflect the sunlight, but don't have their own one?

Stars... like our sun... generate a large spectrum of electromagentic radiation, including a small band that we call visibile light and are able to see with our eyes.

Satalites... like the earth and the moon... do not generate their own light... they simply reflect the light from the star that they orbit. In our case, we call that star 'The Sun'.

So when you look around at night and see something under moonlight, you are actually seeing the light from the sun, which has reflected off the surface of the moon, which has reflected off the surface of the object that you are looking at. The moon does not generate it's own light.

When you look at the stars in the sky at night, you are seeing other objects that are like our own sun, but are very far away. Just as the sun produces light, so do other stars. The light is very faint because the stars are a mind blowing distance away from earth.

> It may also be the light we can't see

Light that we can see is simply further up, or down, the electromagnetic spectrum than what our eyes can detect. Many animals can see infrared and ultraviolet even though we cannot. There is no magic to any of this, though it is one of the harder things in physics to grasp (maxwells equations for electromagnetic radiation).

> so think how different other organisms are, that are adapted to live without light - if there are such

There are many. Some live in caves, but most live under water. Light is absorbed by water. After a few hundred feet of depth underwater you are in an eternal night.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: Japanese scientist invents 'invisibility cloak' [Re: Seuss]
    #2668840 - 05/12/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

very well put man, thanks for that lecture!

Quote:

> so think how different other organisms are, that are adapted to live without light - if there are such

There are many. Some live in caves, but most live under water. Light is absorbed by water. After a few hundred feet of depth underwater you are in an eternal night.

here I meant organisms in other planets, that don't have light at all.
For sheezy, underwater creatures are nuts man. Cold and dark, dude, thats wicked to think about.

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2669174 - 05/12/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well, from what we know of the formation of solar systems, there needs to be enough matter for a protosun to form, and then the rest of the nebula it formed in will orbit the protosun, and turn into stuff like a planet after alot of time. Imagine a huge dust cloud circling a sun, the dust bunches up after it hits other dust sometimes, continue that for millions of years, and youve got yourself some asteroids and planets.

So ehh, without light would mean that the planet's atmosphere blocks out all light, ( starlight is light still ) because there needs to be a sun or something heating the planet. Shyeet, i can't conceive of a planet where a) there is NO light and b) there is life.

Besides which, some organisms can see light you cant, and vice versa... snakes for example cannot see the light you see; they see infrared

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology