Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi?
    #4623916 - 09/05/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have one of those Martha Stewart closets with a set of stacking plastic shelves in it and I want to grow Reishi.

What is the best brand of humidifier that produces a good "condensing fog" like the one you need to initiate pinning on Reishi?

I bought some kind of "cool mist" humidifier that had a wick in it. I think i need something that will actually atomize the water and produce a real mist or fog.

Is it a Vicks Coolmist I'm looking for?

Also, I'm going to get condensation on the sides of the Martha. I need to find something to catch that or my carpet is going to have fungus growing in it.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #4624371 - 09/06/05 01:46 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've had nothing but trouble with those wick-based humidifiers--  they SUCK.  There's no way you can get a condensing fog with them.  I highly recommend an ultrasonic variety.  I've used two Vicks ultrasonics on two setups and they have been working great.  I wire in a humidistat into the circuit so I can dial in just what I need for the species I have in the chamber.  For connecting the unit to the grow setup, I take a plastic party drinking cup, cut the bottom out, feed some pool pump hosing through it, seal with duct tape, plug this make-shift adapter into the output hole in the top of the humidifier, and then run the other end of the hose into my chamber.

To avoid ruining my closet, I took some modular shelving and sealed the top, back, sides, and bottom with heavy plastic.  For the front I fashioned plastic access flaps with zippers on the side and loose velcro attachments on the bottoms to allow for some air exchange.  I fit it with a small HEPA filter on a timer up on the top, hooked up the humidifier/humidistat, rolled the whole thing into the closet, popped a light or two on top of/next to, and voila a fog chamber without damaging your Martha.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #4624435 - 09/06/05 02:14 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Is there any tek to automatically fill the coolmist with water every few days?

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: wideweb]
    #4624463 - 09/06/05 02:31 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wideweb said:

:shiftyeyes:

If you want that automatic and advanced, I suggest that you build a professional mushroom farm and hire a staff.  I certainly have not found having to fill my humidifier every few days to be a real drain on my physical or mental resources...  If anything it keeps me focused on taking care of my chamber.  :cool:

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4624472 - 09/06/05 02:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry but I will be away for two weeks and I don't want anyone helping me in this task.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#4624502 - 09/06/05 02:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I figured it would be something like that... Two weeks is a long time with no attention. Any autofill mechanism would probably have to involve real plumbing into the house water supply, safety-cut-offs, yadda yadda for that length of time. With the Vicks you could try stacking multiple containers one on top of another, each draining into the next. At some unknown height threshold, though, the added pressure will start forcing water out of the sides of the bottom unit I'm sure... That would be your limiting factor.

--------------------

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4624580 - 09/06/05 03:38 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have no access to a vicks stacking humidifier.

There was a thread here describing how to use submerge-able ultrasonic humidifier. I bought one and it died after two days. Oh well.

Is it possible to drip water into the output hole in the top of the coolmist humidifier, using the dripping computer I use for my garden? This way I can drip 1 liter a day, which is about the consumption of the humidifier. I am not sure what to do in case of overflow, it will flood the electronic parts of the humidifier.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4624663 - 09/06/05 05:56 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well, there is a small pump, called the flojet, that normally is in a 5 gal jug of water, you could fit it to your humidifier, and plug it into a timer in the outlet, but you would have to get a good digital timer,
and figure out how much to pump, and when,
http://watershed.net/flojet-wp.htm

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: rod]
    #4626278 - 09/06/05 04:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

All of these make-shift implementations certainly would have me sweating every day I was away on vacation: Did it overflow? Is my room flooded? Was there an electrical fire? Did the fire department have to bust in and find.........?

For me it wouldn't be worth the stress/risk. I try to do low-maintainence things if I know I might be away, like incubate grain or agar. I've also successfully refrigerated grain spawn of many edibles for quite a while in order to buy myself some extra time so that my growing schedules would match my life schedules.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4627838 - 09/06/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'd just put them in the refrigerator.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4627855 - 09/06/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Is the Vicks Cool Mist an ultrasonic, or is that a different unit entirely?

Are we talking about a $40 humidifier?

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
    #4628705 - 09/07/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

hi Baby_Hitler,
you should use a ultrasonic humidifier. The important thing is this: to connect your chamber with the humidifier don't use a long tube. More short is the tube and better is. With the ultrasonic humidifier the fog is insured. The tube of the humidifier should be connected on the high part of your chamber and the humidifier should be placed more high that your chamber.
To catch the water on the bottom make a little hole and put under a pot. Your humidifier shouldn't be turned on all the time, because the "fog" remain generically for a some hours. Remember to empty the pot!!!

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4683701 - 09/19/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wideweb said:

This has been done numerous time in the fishkeeping hobby.
Pretty much all you need is a float switch, reservoir, pump, and tubing.
The hardest thing to come by is the float switch which can be found here prewired with relay http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_miscellaneous_ultralife_float_switch.asp?ast=&key=

or here where you will have to add your own relayhttp://www.floatswitches.net/

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4683918 - 09/19/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Basidiocarp said:
I've had nothing but trouble with those wick-based humidifiers--  they SUCK.  There's no way you can get a condensing fog with them.  I highly recommend an ultrasonic variety.  I've used two Vicks ultrasonics on two setups and they have been working great.  I wire in a humidistat into the circuit so I can dial in just what I need for the species I have in the chamber.  For connecting the unit to the grow setup, I take a plastic party drinking cup, cut the bottom out, feed some pool pump hosing through it, seal with duct tape, plug this make-shift adapter into the output hole in the top of the humidifier, and then run the other end of the hose into my chamber.

To avoid ruining my closet, I took some modular shelving and sealed the top, back, sides, and bottom with heavy plastic.  For the front I fashioned plastic access flaps with zippers on the side and loose velcro attachments on the bottoms to allow for some air exchange.  I fit it with a small HEPA filter on a timer up on the top, hooked up the humidifier/humidistat, rolled the whole thing into the closet, popped a light or two on top of/next to, and voila a fog chamber without damaging your Martha.  :thumbup:

I'm essentially where baby_hitler is: I'm going to buy shelves for my reishi fruiting chamber, as my grain bags are nearly colonized and I'm going to spawn them to wood. 

Does an ultrasonic provide FAE?  Do you need a HEPA-filtered air-supply on top of that? 

And how many hours would you run the ultrasonic into the fruiting chamber?  I think someone posted that Stamets avoids Trich by fluctuating the humidity?? 

Reishi seems to be very reactive to environmental changes....

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4684547 - 09/19/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If you'd be satisifed with antlers instead of conks, you don't need the condensing fog per ggmc. A vicks coolmist (with the motor and spinning disk) can be put on a humidistat and set to 80% and antlers will form just fine. That's how these were grown. I left for two and a half weeks while the below was flushing. By using two coolmists connected to the same humidistat, they only run for a few minutes per hour to maintain 80% in my 4' X 8' X 8' greenhouse.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4684849 - 09/19/05 11:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I had 10 jars and 5 of them contaminated.

All from the same load in the cooker too.

It's been a week, and there is hardly any growth in the good jars.

How long should it take Reishi to colonize a quart of WBS?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4690399 - 09/21/05 01:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

When using live mycelium, quart jars of rye colonize in a week at normal room temperature. Reishi is one of the fastest growing myceliums I've ever worked with.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4691280 - 09/21/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm, this is also my first time with WBS. I suspect it may be too dry.

Does reishi normally recover quickly after shaking?

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #4691536 - 09/21/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you'd be satisifed with antlers instead of conks, you don't need the condensing fog per ggmc. A vicks coolmist (with the motor and spinning disk) can be put on a humidistat and set to 80% and antlers will form just fine. That's how these were grown. I left for two and a half weeks while the below was flushing. By using two coolmists connected to the same humidistat, they only run for a few minutes per hour to maintain 80% in my 4' X 8' X 8' greenhouse.
RR

I've heard conflicting views of the difference in fruitbody mass between conchs and antlers. Do you get a larger total mass with conchs?

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: What brand of humidifier should I get for growing Reishi? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4693378 - 09/21/05 11:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GnuBobo said:
I've heard conflicting views of the difference in fruitbody mass between conchs and antlers.  Do you get a larger total mass with conchs?

Oh yes, a much much larger.. and you also get that real messy sporeload then..  :laugh:
Conks with spores are usually valued higher..

:sun:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates