Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: psychomime]
    #4633326 - 09/08/05 09:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

When you get this paper back and see the doubtlessly dismal grade, this thread can serve as a reminder to you to not procrastinate future projects.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoma_victim
Random

Loc: Lost
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4633430 - 09/08/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

haha, nah man you can do it. go strong!

I am running on pure caffiene and am thinking in bytes and functions and all sorts of gay computer shit.

when it hits 7am I am going to smoke a bong, take a shower, have some brekky and pass the fuck out.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #4633590 - 09/08/05 11:28 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If by "dismal" you mean "excellent" and by "reminder" you mean "reminder", then sure, I'll wear trousers on monday.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4633667 - 09/08/05 11:53 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

This subject is obviously of no interest to you. Take the hint and quit school, remove your shoes, sit in a tree and learn to play the flute.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: Icelander]
    #4633738 - 09/08/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hehe. this subject may not interest me but it is a stepping stone to ones that do. everything comes with a price and writing about ducks is the price I must pay. the course isn't too bad, in fact it's pretty interesting, it's only the lab work that sucks balls. learned a lot about what modern evolutionary theory is based on in this course, it's fascinating.

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

#4633778 - 09/08/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Alright I am the master at procrastination AND getting everything done on time.  I wrote 3 research papers (12-15 pages each) and did all the "research" for them in 2 days.  The key is to B.S. and cut and paste with footnotes or endnotes. Perfect essays every time :laugh:

So now that you hold the key to success, I suggest a game or 2 of solitare.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Offlinesoma_victim
Random

#4633781 - 09/08/05 12:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psychomime said:
writing about ducks is the price I must pay

:laugh:

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: Gillette]
    #4633816 - 09/08/05 12:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

<gasp> <shock> <horror> thats plagarism and is terribly naughty. spankings have been issued for less!

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

#4633830 - 09/08/05 12:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's not plagarism if you cite it :laugh: Just referance everything :smile:

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4633831 - 09/08/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

not too far away now, just a bit of discussion on the results, some referencing and french word for done! I'll post it when It's finished.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4633959 - 09/08/05 01:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Huzzah! project complete! for your viewing (dis)pleasure (minus graphs) I give you...

Optimal Foraging and Ideal Free Distribution:
Examining the free distribution and foraging behaviour of ducks at Jellie Park.

The aim of this experiment is to demonstrate the distribution pattern predicted by Ideal Free Distribution (IFD) by examining whether the ducks at Jellie Park duck pond do indeed follow the distribution predicted.

IFD predicts that the equilibrium proportion of foragers between two patches will equal the proportion of total resources available at each patch. (Tyler and Gilliam, 1995) Algebraically this is expressed as:

N1/N2=R1/R2

Where N1 and N2 are the numbers of foragers at patches 1 and 2 respectively and R1 and R2 represent the amount of resources to be found at the respective patches. (Kennedy and Gray, 1993)

There are several core assumptions that IFD is based on, these are that foragers 1) have perfect knowledge of resource availability, 2) have negligible travel costs in terms of using energy, 3) are equal competitors and that 4) higher competitor density reduces individual resource gains. (Kennedy and Gray, 1993) Because these assumptions are obviously not valid in practice, IFD makes imprecise predictions about forager distribution. IFD has however, been shown to be an accurate model of the trends shown by such distributions, (Kennedy and Gray, 1993) and work by Tyler and Gilliam (1995) to include energy cost in the model, has helped in making it more precise.

Methods
For the experiment, the lab class was separated into two feeding stations, each station representing a resource patch about 10 metres apart. Each station had a feeder, a timer and a team of counters. A 6-metre radius (estimated by the counters) from the feeder defined the patch area. The experiment was run in a series of five trials, each lasting 5 minutes. In each trial, a predetermined amount of bread was thrown simultaneously into the patch every 30 seconds and the number of ducks at each patch counted simultaneously every minute. In each trial, the total amount of bread thrown was six pieces. In the first trial the resource ratio was 1:5 (station 1 : station 2). In the subsequent trials, the ratio was altered to 1:2, 1:1, 2:1 and 5:1 respectively. This substantial range of ratios is important because it is at extreme ratios where deviation from IFD is most apparent. (Kennedy and Gray, 1993)

The counts from the first 2 minutes of each trial were discarded to allow for movement between patches and so that duck numbers could settle at equilibrium. The counts for the last 3 minutes were then averaged across the class to ensure accuracy and then averaged again to give a figure for the equilibrium number for each trial.

There were several species of duck present at each station, Mallards, Scaup and Grey ducks. The large male Mallards tended to dominate the stations, patrolling the area where the bread pieces were landing. At first, there was little competition between the ducks at station 2 as station 2 began with the majority of resources. They soon became more aggressive as less food became available, going so far as to chase off other ducks. The largest ducks were the first to leave the patch as the other patch began receiving more resources, leaving the remaining ducks to form a hierarchy with the larger ducks holding the central area of the patch and the smaller ducks darting in from the periphery when food became available. When tabulated, the movement of ducks did not follow the IFD prediction although it did follow the general trend.

This is to be expected as in practice the assumptions that IFD is based on are invalid. The premise that the ducks have perfect knowledge of resource distribution is obviously untrue. Without perfect knowledge, the ducks will tend to overutilise the patch that started with the higher resources, staying longer than they should for optimal foraging, and missing out on the higher resource availability at the other patch. Tyler and Gilliam (1995) add to this with a costs model that factors energy expenditure and threat of predation into the likelihood of an individual switching patch.

It is also untrue that all competitors are equal. The largest ducks dominated the station when the ratio was favourable, then switched as soon as the other became more favourable. A review of various IFD studies by Kennedy and Gray (1993) found that, ??better competitors were over represented in the high resource sites and poorer competitors were over represented in the poorer sites.?

It is clear that the IFD?s value is not in predicting the exact distribution of animals. Its real value lies in its ability to provide us with a framework to guide our thinking on the behaviour of foraging animals. (Lab Manual, 2005)

References ?

Kennedy, M and Gray R.D (1993). Can ecological theory predict the distribution of foraging animals: A critical analysis of experiments on the Ideal Free Distribution. Oikos 68: 158 - 166

Tyler, J and Gilliam J.F. (1995). Ideal free distributions of stream fish: a model and test with minnows, Rhinicthys Atratulus. Ecology 76: 580 ? 592

Biol 112 Lab Manual (2005). University of Canterbury. Pg. 55 - 61

Clam, A (2005). The ideal distribution of ducks is one per 5 square metres: A study. pg 115 - 127

can you believe it took me all night? the frikken sun has come up! well actually with all the procrastination i guess it's not that surprising. holy shish kekab! I've got a lecture in an hour and a half. better catch some zzzz's. Although, I could always do that later....

Offlinesoma_victim
Random

#4633967 - 09/08/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

now, if you are waiting out the time until breakfast, I strongly reccomend the game "Crimsonland". totally forgot how damn hungry I was.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: soma_victim]
    #4633995 - 09/08/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

did you see the last reference? where do i get this crimsonland? and hell yeah! I could mug an orphan for a double whopper right now. mmmmmm....I love you burger king.

Offlinesoma_victim
Random

#4634300 - 09/08/05 03:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i change my mind about crimsonland. only play sober. its basically about being overrun by a mob of angry monsters and you try to shoot your way out and you ALWAYS lose. So fun if you're sober, possibly traumatising otherwise

mmmm burger king.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: psychomime's procrastinating thread [Re: soma_victim]
    #4635950 - 09/08/05 10:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well, it's all done and handed in. could barely stay awake in my first lecture. managed to get some zzz's after that. join us next week for psychomime's procrastinating thread II: the revenge of the math assignment!

Offlinesoma_victim
Random

#4636098 - 09/08/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

haha. Look forward to it. I will be avoiding a C++ assignment too.  good luck with the grades  :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom