Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees?
    #4620442 - 09/04/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

international headlines:

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
Date: Sep 4, 2005 3:50 PM

Do You Care about International Headlines and Perception

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
Date: Sep 4, 2005 12:21 PM

?A Brutal Reminder?
LONDON ? The Guardian (Liberal), Sept. 3: ?There is a widespread perception that the sheer scale of the problems reflects a shuffling of resources ? to pay for tax cuts and the Iraq adventure ? that has left the US far too vulnerable. It is all a brutal reminder that government policies, sometimes followed only in the small print of rows over obscure budget allocations, can have real ? and deadly ? consequences for real people. The words ?homeland security? now have a terribly hollow ring in the anarchic south: 35% of Louisiana?s National Guard is serving in Iraq, where four out of every 10 soldiers are guardsmen. And recruiting is down because people fear being sent to Iraq. The priority given to law and order seems a troubling inverse reflection of what happened after the fall of Baghdad. Is it really more important to use deadly force against looters than to deliver humanitarian aid effectively??

"What Was Revealed"
LONDON ? The Times (Conservative), Sept. 3: ?The truth is that the New Orleans disaster is far worse than 9/11, and dwarfs anything seen in the West in modern times save for the Etna eruption and the San Francisco earthquake. In that sense it only tells us how vulnerable we are. Well, not all of us equally. When disasters or fires or bombings happen, you discover just who was traveling on your trains, who was crammed into your hostels or who was living in the low-lying areas. It isn?t the failure to act in New Orleans that is the story here, it?s the sheer, uninsured, uncared for, self-disenfranchised scale of the poverty that lies revealed. It looks like a scene from the Third World because that?s the truth. It?s a quiet disaster that?s been going on for years ? a pudding-basin-full-of-poverty situation.?
? David Aaronovitch

Loss of an American Dream
MELBOURNE ? The Age (Centrist), Sept. 3: ?How could it happen? Six days after hurricane Katrina swept in from the Gulf of Mexico, America is waking up to a reality as frightening in its force as the storm and flooding themselves. It is that America has been humiliated by its inability to prevent, or then deal effectively with, a natural disaster in its own backyard; and, worse and more important in the long term, that the world?s richest nation has been exposed, in a most brutal way, as a society still divided by race and possessing an underclass. ? Of course, the infrastructure can be repaired, dam walls renewed and new homes and businesses constructed; and the French Quarter, which attracts millions each year from around the world, can be restored. What may prove more difficult for Bush and his successors ? for this will surely be a project of many years? duration ? is the rebuilding of trust and credibility in the nation?s leaders and administrators and the healing of wounds so savagely and swiftly inflicted by hurricane Katrina.

Political Ramifications
TEL AVIV ? Yediot Aharonot (Centrist), Sept. 3: ?In the wake of the September 11 attacks, Americans felt a deep sense of national pride over their solidarity and restraint, efficient response to the disaster. Now, they feel horror and anger. ? The Katrina aftershock hurt the conscience of every American and deeply dented America?s self-image as a dedicated, united nation able to offer quick response in difficult situations. ? The political ramifications of the failure in America may be similar to what happened here following that war. The ruins of New Orleans may give rise to a popular protest movement that would gradually amass power and influence, paralyzing the Bush Administration and leading to a stinging Republican defeat in the upcoming (partial) elections for Congress.?
? Sever Plocker

?Grim Lesson?
TORONTO ? Toronto Star (Liberal), Sept. 3: ?A just anger is rising across America at the official incompetence that Katrina has exposed. A vacationing Bush made a tardy post-disaster appearance. The Federal Emergency Management Agency failed to speedily organize an effective command and control system. And the National Guard was deployed after Katrina hit, far too late. By then 100,000 people had flouted evacuation orders and were in peril. Even then, troops, helicopters, buses and trucks were slow arriving. And the Army Corps of Engineers had no effective contingency plan to repair broken levees. Katrina is proving as much a man-made disaster, as a natural one.?

?A Society in Collapse?
EDMONTON ? Edmonton Journal (Conservative), Sept. 3: ?We have seen a society in collapse. Many people with cars got out of town before Katrina hit. Many others, particularly the poor, old and disabled, could not or did not flee the hurricane. They were left to cope in a flooded city with no clean water, no food, no working toilets, no air conditioning, no medical care, no transportation, and no reassurance that help was on the way. Recriminations have already begun, and so they should. There has been gigantic failure here ? The weakness of the levees was known, the danger of hurricanes was known, but plans to improve the levees and to deal with a major flood were clearly inadequate. ? At the same time, the picture of thousands of desperate people, many of them poor and black, left to fend for themselves in an anarchic city speaks volumes about a society dangerously polarized between the privileged classes and a marginalized underclass.?

"He Turns His Back on Them?
MOSCOW ? Pravda (Liberal), Sept. 2: ?The best he [President Bush] can do is a brief flyover of the region and a belated visit, hurriedly put together only because of the protests. ? After siphoning off 200 billion USD of their hard-earned cash to finance his illegal act of butchery overseas, he turns his back on them, leaves them to wallow in the sewage, to lie rotting in the streets and to starve to death. ? It appears the man is as inept at governing his own country as he is at conducting foreign policy.?
? Timothy Bancroft-Hinchey

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees? [Re: Todcasil]
    #4620507 - 09/04/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

it's so sad how true these international news clippings are. i live in 1 hr. west of N.O. and all i have seen is a government that failed it's people, every one from the president to local agencies. thankfully the refugees of katrina have the love of the rest of the nation to pull them through these times.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4620515 - 09/04/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I never stood for the Pledge of Allegiance

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4620519 - 09/04/05 07:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Here's an article from last year in National Geographic (not, by any means, a fringe magazine...) that predicted this catastrophe with eerie similarity (though, let us hope, the death toll does not reach 50k as in the article).

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/?fs=www7.nationalgeographic.com

I think what this exposes is a government which is far more concerned with "kickin ass overseas" than it is with protecting it's own population.

This was all predicted to happen, long ago. The various agencies who ran models and such all said the levees were weak and could break easily with a category 4 hurricane.

Yet despite all the fore-warning...despite the apparent pleas by New Orleans and Louisiana state officials...nothing was done. Too busy kicking other peoples' asses to care about their own :nonono:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#4620522 - 09/04/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps God doesn't like black people.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees? [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4620532 - 09/04/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The people failed to realize the extreme reality of the evacuation warning they were presented with. The government warned them to leave. Only in America would someone be so ignorant and dependant to think their only way to evacuate was with an automobile. :smirk:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #4620536 - 09/04/05 07:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

:handth:

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees? [Re: motaman]
    #4620543 - 09/04/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yes, many stayed, but MANY MANy more stayed because they had no means of leaving.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4620545 - 09/04/05 07:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

These boots and feet were made for walking. The reality is, safety was within 24 hours of walking distance. :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4620550 - 09/04/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
The people failed to realize the extreme reality of the evacuation warning they were presented with. The government warned them to leave. :smirk:

Your government is TOTALLY willing to send your sons and daughters over to "help" the population of another country. They've spent billions doing so. Almost 2000 of those sons and daughters have died, to "help" the Iraqi people. They're building schools, training police, and on and on and on.

And yet, they couldn't spring for a small fleet of buses to get the people out who had no means to leave.

It's "their fault" that they stayed and didn't heed the evac (which, by the way, wasn't "manditory" if they didn't do anything to make it manditory)?

This is what the rest of the world sees, in America: it's every man for himself!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

#4620551 - 09/04/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i live down here. i know these people, they have over taken my city. they didn't have time. imagine this, you have 2 days to pack your life like 1.2 million people around you and get out of town. i don't know if you've ever seen that many people on the road but it's impossible. the only thing important is that we put every effort forward to get those people out. there are still people trapped in there dying right now.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees? [Re: trendal]
    #4620554 - 09/04/05 08:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

And yet, they couldn't spring for a small fleet of buses to get the people out who had no means to leave.

They did provide buses for people to evacuate.

--------------------

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
    #4620559 - 09/04/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4620560 - 09/04/05 08:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

you have 2 days to pack your life

You shoulnd't worry about packing.. You should be worried about living.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4620561 - 09/04/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
They did provide buses for people to evacuate.

How many? Enough for the 200,000 or so people stuck behind?

Where they just the city buses, or did the Feds send in some more to help out?

If they did have enough buses, why did they have to use the superdome as a "shelter of last resort"?

--------------------

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

#4620566 - 09/04/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

the govt didn't but there has been fleets of privately owned busses parked outside of n.o. to evacuate survivors that the govt. has turned away.

--------------------

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#4620567 - 09/04/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yes because America has some sort of aura that transforms people on immediate contact of it's soil.

People are people, the polices you speak of are drafted by an elite few and in no way accurately represents the citizens of this country.

Be careful in specifying the target group when referencing America.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: AMERICANS, do you see what the world sees? [Re: dblaney]
    #4620569 - 09/04/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't either, but my teacher made me stand up on 9/11.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4620571 - 09/04/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i live down here

I live down here as well.. I know the repercussions of not taking evacuations warning seriously.. Thats why I have lived thru 8 hurricanes.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4620579 - 09/04/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

How many? Enough for the 200,000 or so people stuck behind?

There was far less than 200,000 people incapable of walking safety.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order