Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming.
    #4599166 - 08/30/05 03:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming

Seems like everything is President Bush's fault. One day after Katrina hammered the Gulf Coast, German commentators are laying into the US for its stubborn attitude to global warming and Kyoto.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/

AP
Fun-loving New Orleans, now a disaster area.
Hurricane Katrina is big news for German commentators, whatever their ilk. For some, the powerful storm which slammed the Gulf Coast on Monday, is a symbol of the sort of environmental terrors awaiting the world thanks to global warming and proof positive that America needs to quickly reverse its policy of playing down climate change. For the more conservative, it is simply another regrettable natural catastrophe.

Regardless of how one views it, Katrina has not only devastated parts of Louisiana and Mississippi and killed dozens, it also has threatened the US and its trading partners with economic instability. The Gulf Coast states refine about 30 percent of America's oil supply and Katrina's damage is threatening to cause already-high oil costs to skyrocket. The fun-loving town of New Orleans, beloved for its moody, French-inspired bars, crooning jazz riffs and free-for-all Mardi Gras spirit, has transformed into a watery ghost town, with 80 percent of the city's 480,000 residents obeying the mayor's call to evacuate. The pictures tell it all: frantic racing through chest-deep water, flooded city streets and uprooted trees. The storm even ripped off a chunk of the roof of the New Orleans Superdome, where close to 10,000 people had run to for cover.

HURRICANE KATRINA: A CITY UNDER WATER

The toughest commentary of the day comes from Germany's Environmental Minister, J?rgen Trittin, a Green Party member, who takes space in the Frankfurter Rundschau, a paper owned by the Social Democrats, to bash US President George W. Bush's environmental laxity. He begins by likening the photos and videos of the hurricane stricken areas to scenes from a Roland Emmerich sci-fi film and insists that global warming and climate change are making it ever more likely that storms and floods will plague America and Europe. "There is only one possible route of action," he writes. "Greenhouse gases have to be radically reduced and it has to happen worldwide. Until now, the US has kept its eyes shut to this emergency. (Americans) make up a mere 4 percent of the population, but are responsible for close to a quarter of emissions." He adds that the average American is responsible for double as much carbon dioxide as the average European. "The Bush government rejects international climate protection goals by insisting that imposing them would negatively impact the American economy. The American president is closing his eyes to the economic and human costs his land and the world economy are suffering under natural catastrophes like Katrina and because of neglected environmental policies." As such, Trittin also calls for a reworking of the Kyoto Protocol -- dubbing it the uncreative title of "Kyoto 2" -- and insisting that the US be included.

The left-leaning Die Tageszeitung also delivers a punchy plea for more attention to global warming, saying politicians should pay more attention to Katrina's alarming images than to election polls and economic forecasts. "Hurricane Katrina has delivered terrible photos. Experts are already calling it the worst hurricane of all time. But this year's hurricane season has only just begun. Flooded villages, mud slides, sandbags....Scientists are quite calmly saying that we will see this kind of thing more often. After all, this is what they have been forecasting for years -- climate change, human-caused and irreversible. But a change of policy is not in the cards. Politics is trapped between voters and industry lobbyists. And of course, there is the killer argument: Protecting the environment impedes economic growth." This is not how it should be, the paper opines. Indeed, more "pictures from New Orleans should encourage us to follow science's advice on climate protection."

The business daily Handelsblatt has a more pragmatic approach to viewing the catastrophe. Instead of harping on the cause of hurricanes and other disasters, it insists that the world should better help those in danger get protection. "People will argue about the causes of climate change for a long time to come," the paper writes. "But its effects are already reality. They are called Katrina, or the flood catastrophes in southern Germany, Romania, Switzerland and Austria.... It's not enough now to just call for measures against climate change. Such policies need decades to take effect. But now we must begin taking different kinds of measures, ones that better protect people affected by extreme weather incidents." The best way to begin, says the paper, is to identify areas of the globe most in danger. In Germany, that includes areas around the Elbe and Donau rivers, while in the Netherlands, much of the nation is under sea level. More needs to be done, says the paper, to prevent building in potentially dangerous areas and to create high water emergency policies. The world, too, needs to help nations like Bangladesh, which doesn't have the means to reduce the risks its people face alone. "All of this will cost time, a lot of money and the eradication of old habits. But only in this way can people be protected and the even-higher costs of post-catastrophe damages be reduced."

The Financial Times Deutschland refrains from any commentary about the human costs of the hurricane and focuses on the economic impact it will have on oil supplies. "For the already-strained global energy market, Katrina is a small nightmare: The huge world-wide demand for oil has left producers and workers pushing their limits of capacity. If production platforms and refineries on the Gulf of Mexico have to shut down, the supply holes will not be easy to fill." Even if the current projects of the economic impact of Katrina are exaggerated, one thing is clear, the paper says. In the end, the storm will have proven "the vulnerability of the oil-dependent world economy."

The S?ddeutsche Zeitung uses its feature page as a defacto editorial by focusing on the hurricane as its theme of the day. Among its articles, it cites a study by US hurricane expert Kerry Emanuel of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that shows a rising tendency for hurricanes that exactly reflects the curve of greenhouse gases. German scientists from the Max-Planck Institute hail the study as the first proof of a real link. "If this man-made warming continues, we will have to expect stronger storms in future" Emmanuel tells the paper.

The conservative Die Welt, naturally, has an altogether different take on Katrina, insisting that despite the terrible images broadcast, we should not get hysterical about the environmental implications of the hurricane or start screaming for change. After all, it says, "hurricanes are a natural phenomenon. They occurred long before humans could be affected by them. Whether the frequency and intensity of these storms has truly increased in recent years has not yet been proven with statistics." Whether humans have aversely affected the Earth's climate or not, the paper says, one thing is clear "we have modern technology to thank that Katrina was not able to do more damage." Indeed, thanks to early warning systems, the people of New Orleans were evacuated before the storm hit. "One hundred years ago, a tropical storm as strong as Katarina would likely have caused many deaths, because it would have hit people unawares." Now, says the paper, we should be grateful technology allows us to save so many lives.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4599173 - 08/30/05 03:57 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think the Texas/Galveston hurricane was the Deadliest hurricane in history.

Bush wasn't even born yet but I am sure he had something to do with it.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4599687 - 08/30/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

OIL OIL OIL BUSH BUSH BUSH.

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4599698 - 08/30/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
OIL OIL OIL BUSH BUSH BUSH.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4602185 - 08/31/05 03:37 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, lets just turn a blind eye to anything that doesn't fit our idea of the world. That will surely help.  :cuckoo:

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4602565 - 08/31/05 06:36 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

> I think the Texas/Galveston hurricane was the Deadliest hurricane in history.

The same point I was going to make.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
    #4602645 - 08/31/05 08:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Katrina is definately a wake up call. What's with all the hurricanes lately? It seems ever since 2004 hurricanes have become an expected misfortunate for the panhandle and other gulf states.

Maybe the holy books were right and these are the end times... war in mesopotamia, the Israeli conflict at an all time peak, terrorists bombing European cities left and right, Tsunamis constantly rocking Asia and now Hurricanes slamming against the U.S.

The 90's were so peaceful

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4602811 - 08/31/05 10:22 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hurricane activity runs in cycles, the recent increase in the number of hurricanes is a natural phenomena unrelated to global warming. The areas affected by hurricanes have seen an enormous increase in human population and development in the low phase of the last cycle so it is natural to expect an increase in damage and loss of life when a cycle is in an upswing, especially in areas below or near sea level that get hit.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4603179 - 08/31/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

> The 90's were so peaceful

Yes, very peaceful :rolleyes::

1991 Oct. 30?Nov. 1, Eastern Atlantic seaboard: an unnamed hurricane labeled the ?perfect storm? caused extensive erosion and flooding along the Atlantic seaboard and created 39-foot waves.

1992 Aug. 22?26, Bahamas, southern Fla., and La.: Hurricane ?Andrew? left 26 dead and more than 100,000 homes destroyed or damaged. With total U.S. damages estimated at $26.5 ($34.9) billion, it is the most costly U.S. hurricane.

1994 Nov. 8?21, Caribbean and southern Fla.: ?Gordon? led to an estimated 1,122 deaths in Haiti. Eight died in Fla.

1995 Sept., Caribbean: ?Marilyn? wiped out the US Virgin Islands.

1995 Nov. 29, Fla. panhandle and Ala.: storm surge during ?Opal? caused extensive damage to coastal areas; nine U.S. deaths and damages of $3 ($3.5) billion.

1996 Sept. 5, N.C. and Va.: ?Fran? took 37 lives and caused more than $3.2 ($3.6) billion in damage.

1999 Sept. 14?18, Bahamas to New England: ?Floyd? and associated flooding caused at least 57 deaths. Damage estimated at $4.5 ($4.6) billion.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: Seuss]
    #4605832 - 08/31/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Not directed at Suess but the post in general.

Doesn't seem the evidence backs these claims.

Giant hurricanes are rare, but they are not new. And they are not increasing. To the contrary. Just go to the website of the National Hurricane Center and check out a table that lists hurricanes by category and decade. The peak for major hurricanes (categories 3,4,5) came in the decades of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, when such storms averaged 9 per decade. In the 1960s, there were 6 such storms; in the 1970s, 4; in the 1980s, 5; in the 1990s, 5; and for 2001-04, there were 3. Category 4 and 5 storms were also more prevalent in the past than they are now. As for Category 5 storms, there have been only three since the 1850s: in the decades of the 1930s, 1960s and 1990s.

Indeed, there is no evidence that hurricanes are intensifying anyway. For the North Atlantic as a whole, according to the United Nations Environment Programme of the World Meteorological Organization: "Reliable data?since the 1940s indicate that the peak strength of the strongest hurricanes has not changed, and the mean maximum intensity of all hurricanes has decreased."

Yes, decreased.

Not only has the intensity of hurricanes fallen, but, as George H. Taylor, the state climatologist of Oregon has pointed out, so has the frequency of hailstorms in the U.S. (see Changnon and Changnon) and cyclones throughout the world (Gulev, et al.).

But environmental extremists do not want to be bothered with the facts. Nor do they wish to mourn the destruction and death wreaked on a glorious city. To their everlasting shame, they would rather distort and exploit.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/083105JKG.html

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: Unagipie]
    #4607777 - 09/01/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Unagipie said:
What's with all the hurricanes lately?

I realize that you were being satirical, ziddy, but
I love it when people say things like this.

We've been tracking these sorts of things for what,
200 years, maximum?

We're talking about a planet that operates on a
time scale in the millions of years.

Who knows what kind of weather cycles naturally
occur on a planet over a 100, 200, 500, 1000, or
10,000 year period?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

Re: Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming. [Re: afoaf]
    #4607921 - 09/01/05 01:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

That's been my thoughts on the entire global warming debate. We have some idea of what the weather was like through fossil records, but conditions have to be just right to create the fossils as opposed to the matter simply decaying.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse, Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion