Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Funky Blackness
    #452633 - 11/09/01 08:31 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

ok, my case is a little out of the ordinary since im using perlite and brf for a substrate, but maybe someone can help anyway. I have 1 cake that is completely colnized excet for this one spot about the diameter of a pencil. The edge of the mycelium around the spot is black, a very thin line right along the edge. I can't tell if it is the mycelium or the substrate that is colored. The spot has been there for nearly a week and has not spread. There is no funky smell and everything else is going great. I think i may just be able to cut it out and case it. any input?

--------------------
The path of indulgence leads to the house of wisdom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Funky Blackness [Re: MrFreeze5]
    #452652 - 11/09/01 09:03 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that would be a good idea, cut it spray with a little H202 and case it if you want but it's not mandatory you do so, i think it would fruit well if you leave it has a cake too.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
Re: Funky Blackness [Re: MrFreeze5]
    #455522 - 11/11/01 10:42 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

this may be overly obvious but my friend thought he had a black spot in one of his jars until he noticed it was just a pocket of air since he used a coarser substrate than usual. is the black spot completely black, or just the rim? you are a little unclear about that..

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Re: Funky Blackness [Re: moxjet20]
    #455531 - 11/11/01 10:55 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

It's just a thin black line in a kind of circular shape. it is about the thicknes of a needle. It is fairly easy to tell what it was since the substrate is off white (perlite and brf). I figured out today at least what may have caused it. The line outlined a spot of substrate that was aheared to the inside of the glass. There were a few spots stuck against the glass in the jar, but only this one turned black around the edge. I shook the jar this morning and loosed it around a bit and the area inside the black spot filled in with mycelium, leaving just the black outline around it. I am almost sure it is not cantam now since it's been there for 2 weeks, hasnt spread at all, and once i shook it up, it colonized it. I'm still not sure what made the substrate turn black though. It turns brown sometimes when air gets at it for a while. maybe that could have been the cause...

--------------------
The path of indulgence leads to the house of wisdom.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags