Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery
Help me bypass download restrictions on a University network
    #4537709 - 08/15/05 01:49 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hey folks;

Next month, I'm moving into University accommodation. My room will have a hard-wired connection to the university network, through which I'll access the internet. An allowance of data transfer will be assigned to me. While I'm not certain of the specifics of the setup, I thought that I'd ask early, so as to prepare a workaround if possible.

Basically, I don't want my internet data transfer to be capped. From a little background reading, I predict that the University network will assign data transfer limits based on MAC address recognition of individual computers. My question is simply this: is there any reason that assigning my computer an arbitrary MAC address wouldn't allow me to use up multiple data allowance limits, switching MAC addresses between each?

I don't know a great deal about this subject, but I am familiar with computers and reasonably intelligent, and would really like to know if this will work/why not/what might work instead.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery
Loc: Pennsyltucky, USA
Re: Help me bypass download restrictions on a University network [Re: OJK]
    #4538990 - 08/15/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Is there a way to release the ip and get a new one, thus more net time?  I've often thought of trying that myself but never did...  :cool:

Loc: ATL
Re: Help me bypass download restrictions on a University network [Re: OJK]
    #4540339 - 08/16/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I once attended a school with similar rules. I brought a linksys router with me that allows me to assign a custom mac address and put that between myself and the network. I changed mac addresses about once every three days and had no problems with being capped.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: Help me bypass download restrictions on a University network [Re: z@z.com]
    #4540378 - 08/16/05 12:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

But wouldn't it seeing the new MAC address in that certain location still have caps on it? Caps can be centralized in a certain area. I don't think they cap that much or at least they didn't at the university I attending...It's only used if your uploading a serious amount of information, which they can clearly see as file sharing....

But if you could change the MAC address every so often and not get caps...They do make progs for Windows that allows you to spoof(change) your MAC address...So instead of getting an expensive router you could do this instead....I used to spoof my MAC address all the time for getting caught doing P2P. They'd shut my account of the internet and the next day I'd just spoof my MAC address and get right back on

It all depends on how they go about doing the speed caps...and how their network is setup

if you need a url for the prog just ask...

Edited by D00B (08/16/05 01:00 AM)

PresidentialCandidate 2008

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Help me bypass download restrictions on a University network [Re: D00B]
    #4542828 - 08/16/05 04:58 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Become very good friends with the Net Admin.

Buy Him Beer / If a girl, Get her laid.

It's Krang, Bitch!  :krang:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology