Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Autoclave, Rye Grain, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGamera
Dumbass

Loc: Nonlocal
Sterilizing poo in crockpot
    #4494491 - 08/04/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking about using a crockpot to pasteurize horse poo - my local thrift shop has about a half dozen and they are $2 each. Obviously not useful for large quantities but I am going small scale. As I understand it, the main problem is that even on "low" most crockpots get up to about 200 F which would be too high for pasteurization. In my research I can across this which seemed like a pretty cool idea so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Crockpot thermostat

Seems like a pretty good approach - the basic idea is to wire an adjustable thermostat from a table top fry pan into the crock pot. Then just test it to get a good pasteurization temp, throw the poo in and leave it for a few hours.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Edited by Gamera (08/04/05 01:13 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Sterilizing poo in crockpot [Re: Gamera]
    #4494765 - 08/04/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

if you are going small scale, just a pot of water on the stove is all that you would need. small batches are easy enough to do on the stove. why put yourself through all that extra?
which poo tek are you using?
peace

OfflineGamera
Dumbass

Loc: Nonlocal
Re: Sterilizing poo in crockpot [Re: backupwards]
    #4494846 - 08/04/05 02:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still up in the air on which poo tek to use. Its taking an inordinate amout of time to get spores so I have been reading and planning. But probably rye berries spawned to hpoo and then cased with 50/50 in trays.

I kind of liked this crock pot approach just because once I have the temperature set right I can just dump a gallon of poo in there and know its going to be sitting there at 170 F indefinitely. I could even do it overnight.

--------------------
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4495001 - 08/04/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the crockpot with the temp control would work for ya no problem. definitely can control the temp. don't know if i would go to the extreme of pasturizing it overnight though. once at temp an hour or two should be all you need to do.
after my first pasturizing, it was easy to figure out where to set the stove temp to achieve that 165-170 degree range. of course i am doing larger batches than you could fit in a crockpot. using a 40 qt pot and 3 large autoclave bags full of poo at a time.
the crockpot will probably give you enough for a good spawn run though, albeit small. which is what you want anyway.
good luck
peace

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4495400 - 08/04/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

A POT of water on a stovetop & a candy thermometer - will do you BETTER. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4495414 - 08/04/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I used a Crock-Pot before, but it had a setting called "Warm" [or some shit like that] that kept the mixture at 180F constantly. I also used a large Crock-Pot before, got the water up to about 190, put in the pillow case, got the water to about 190 again (with the lid on), then turned it off. It stayed above 170 for the 1.5 hours that I recommend.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Autoclave, Rye Grain, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation