Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Sterilize then Pasteurize
    #3416477 - 11/27/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Would it be ok to sterilize WBS and then pasteurize it? The idea I was having was to PC some jars of WBS, then while it is still hot pour it on a layer of verm. On top of that pour a layer of poo/straw. Another layer of hot WBS and so on. Put 2 foil lids on it, the bottom one with a tyvek patch. Pasteurize the whole thing in the oven. Once it is done remove the thermometer and seal it. After it cools down stick your syringe in the side on the WBS layers and knock it up. Tape over the holes and keep it at 86 for a few weeks. When it is fully colonized pour casing on it and fruit.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Sterilize then Pasteurize [Re: MadHatR]
    #3416547 - 11/27/04 06:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, sterilizing then pasteurizing wouldn't harm anything. It's pointless but not harmful.

But I do not think your idea would work very well. WBS makes excellent spawn because it is so small. When mixed with a bulk sub it inoculates many points, thus speeding colonization. The slower a bulk sub colonizes the greater the contam risk.

Having your WBS and bulk sub on separate layers with no means of mixing the two defeats the purpose of WBS spawn. The bulk sub would colonize slowly having virtually a single inoculation point (the point at which the WBS and bulk sub layers meet), and would probably contaminate before it ever finished.

Having said all that, I will also say that I have never tried it so who knows?If you are the experimental type then go for it. Please post your results afterwards. Good luck.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize then Pasteurize [Re: dog]
    #3417749 - 11/28/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I totally agree with dog. IMO it is a pointless endeavor but like dog said "If you are the experimental type then go for it. Please post your results afterwards. Good luck." Ditto GL :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Sterilize then Pasteurize [Re: hyphae]
    #3417890 - 11/28/04 01:03 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i also agree, there is someone on here that posted they did that with rye casings, but IMO its a waste and would be A LOT faster to just spawn.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Sterilize then Pasteurize [Re: derx]
    #3420348 - 11/28/04 09:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It basically is spawning, myc eats through the WBS until it reaches the poo/straw. Since it is WBS once it reaches the poo/straw it has plenty of inoc points, you could even shake the whole thing up if you wanted to. The reason you would have to sterilize and pasteurize is it is not good to sterilize poo/straw, and not good to pasteurize WBS. You are pretty much just moving most of your steps to the beginning and taking away a bit of the risk. It would mainly be done so that I can just take one day during the weekend and get most everything done instead of doing transfers all the time.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilize then Pasteurize [Re: MadHatR]
    #3420539 - 11/28/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So your going to sterilize the WBS then remove it from its sterile container to layer it with poo/straw before its knocked up?

No one sees this as being a contamination problem? It doesnt matter if you pasturize it after..the reason its spawned AFTER colonized is because colonized WBS will fight off contams like pasturized shit/straw..uncolonized (sterilized or not) WBS wont fight off contams when you spawn it.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation