Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRemedios
Stranger
inhibited growth-premature sporulation
    #446754 - 11/04/01 03:17 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hello everyone-I'm an inexperienced caser and I was wondering if some of the more experienced casers in this forum could help me. I cased some mushrooms (Mazatapec) with vermiculite, fine peat, sand and coarse oyster shell. Pinning was successful (although there were only about 15 pins in a 14'' by 8'' plastic pan, which is probably less than usual) with a ten degree temp. drop; but 3-4 days later the caps of most of the fruit bodies (which were no more than 2 inches tall) were open, and purplish deposits near the base of the stem denoted sporulation. So my question is, why would such diminutive specimens sporulate so precociously? I'm very stifled, because the growing environment seems to be opulent: the casings are moist enough to where they don't need to be sprayed, I fan 4-5 times a day, and the mushrooms recieve 8-12 hours of fuorescent light per day. I do have some ideas of what the problem might be, and I will list those: 1. The fine peat and sand made the casing too taut, inhibiting proper growth. 2. The casing layer is too thick (it is about 2 1/2, 3 in.). 3. Too much light-I have an incandescent light pointed at the terrarium along with the fluorescent for subsidiary heating 4. Cakes were cased whole-would that inhibit proper growth? If so, would breaking the cakes up with a fork or "deep scratching" help?
Your responses and knowledge will be duly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: inhibited growth-premature sporulation [Re: Remedios]
    #446785 - 11/04/01 03:49 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

2) Casing layer too thick. A half inch is all you need. How thick was your substrate layer?
4) They should have been crumbled.

OfflineRemedios
Stranger
Re: inhibited growth-premature sporulation [Re: puscle]
    #446806 - 11/04/01 04:13 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The substrate layer was about 2 1/2 inches. But isn't the thickness of the casing layer supposed to match that of the substrate layer? If so then I don't see a problem other than that the cakes should have been crumbled. Actually, I don't really understand this business of crumbling the cakes. I cased 11 cakes, and that filled the plastic pan completely. So why is it imperative to crumble?

Edited by Remedios (11/04/01 04:22 PM)

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #446855 - 11/04/01 05:09 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, you asked me. Do you want an even pinset? Nice yield? Play by the rules, just like the rest of us.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #446859 - 11/04/01 05:11 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

>But isn't the thickness of the casing layer supposed to
>match that of the substrate layer?
To mach, but not to equal. The thicker the substrate layer, the thicker the casing layer, but still only about 1/5 that thick.
In the button mushrooms industry where the substrate layer is up to 10 inch, the casing layer is an inch or two thick.
As puscle said, 1/2 inch is enough.

>So why is it imperative to crumble?
It?s not. If you have enough cakes to fill your casing tray, then don?t crumble, it?s nice though to have an uniform substrate layer, that?s why you will have to crumble at least a few cakes to fill the gaps.

OfflineRemedios
Stranger
Re: inhibited growth-premature sporulation [Re: Anno]
    #446867 - 11/04/01 05:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thankyou for your responses puscle and Anno. Now, I should probably remove an inch or so of the casing, right? Also, about the mushrooms sporulating prematurely, is that a result of the casing being too thick?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #446876 - 11/04/01 05:31 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

> is that a result of the casing being too thick?
Could be. Or other growth parameters. Another possibility is that you have a particulate strain that produces rather small fruitbodies.

OfflineRemedios
Stranger
Re: inhibited growth-premature sporulation [Re: Anno]
    #446968 - 11/04/01 06:29 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, the strain may just produce small fruitbodies; or maybe the strain isn't amenable to casing. Just wondering, the strain was from PF,and I know Mr. PF dislikes casing, so say if the spores were from his stock grown on cakes, maybe it would take some time for the strain to acclimate to casing? Just a postulation with no scientific merit.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder