Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChiefess
ExperiencedToker / AmateurMushroom Hunter

Bolete I.D.
    #4420549 - 07/18/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hey guys need I.D. for this bolete i found in my yard. it was in a clear section of my lawn with no nearby trees. i live in central N.C. thanks.

Cap:
Dark Brownish Red - faded
Convex Cap
Smooth Surface
3 in. wide

Stalk:
3 1/4 in. long
club shaped
centered
bruising dark green (it doesnt look green in the picture, but it is)

i am currently working on a spore print

--------------------
Been Tokin'!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemurmurmaid
glitteroticjesus
Female User Gallery

Loc: douglasville, ga
Re: Bolete I.D. [Re: Chiefess]
    #4420801 - 07/18/05 08:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

those look really similar to the ones i found today. they were in an open lawn, there are trees around but they werent right under them. i figured they were some type of bolette. the gills were very mushy and green and stained my hand when it touched it. im doing a spore print now. heres some pictures:

there was another kind in the same area that looked very similar except the gills were kind of off white and completely tough, it almost felt like an apple. here are some pictures of those:

im not sure if i should have started my own thread, but oh well.

Edited by murmurmaid (07/18/05 08:51 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Bolete I.D. [Re: Chiefess]
    #4420959 - 07/18/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

murmurmaid, yes you really should have started your own thread... I'll just ask the general questions we need answered to ID boletes...

Here's the things we need to know to start a bolete ID.

Look very closely at the surface of the stem. Is there a pattern of tiny, net-like ridges on it (check near the top)? If there is, do they extend more or less than halfway down the stalk? If there isn't, is the stalk smooth? Are there tiny dots near the top of the stalk? Is it rough as though it's covered with really coarse hairs?

Scratch the tube surface with your fingernail. Does it change color or just get a darker shade of the original color? How long does it take to change color?

What color are the tubes in young specimens?

What kind of trees were they near? If you don't know much about trees it's still useful to know if they were evergreens (pine, spruce, fir, etc.) or not.

How big are they? Look at multiple specimens if possible to get a range.

Is the cap dry, moist, slimy, sticky?

Those are the starting questions. After we have the answers to those we can move on to the specific questions to really narrow it down to species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder