Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Amanita question? And a bolete question.
    #8797190 - 08/19/08 06:38 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yesterday I came across a couple of different Amanitas, one was Amanita flavoconia aka yellow patches and one that I think was Amanita porphyria aka purple-brown amanita. Well, I wanted to make a spore print just to make sure of the I.D. I placed both on black paper separately (and covered each with a dish) since I was looking for a white spore print. Well, when I went to check the spore prints, the yellow patches came out fine, but when I checked the purple-brown, I found that the cap had more or less dissolved almost completely and it had what looked like maggots crawling through out the whole cap (it smelled like rotten potatoes). The stalk was just fine (I placed the stalk next to the cap under the dish) it was whole and untouched by the maggots. When I picked it, I looked for bug damage and I didn't see anything obvious. Any idea where the maggots came from? I've never had a mushroom do that before. BTW, I left them both alone for about 12 hours. Also, I found a small Tremellodendron pallidum aka "false coral mushroom" growing near by, along with what I think is a Boletus edulis aka king bolete growing about 30 feet off the path and near where I found the amanitias (all in mixed woods, pines, oak, maple). My bolete question is this, will it bruise blue then turn brownish? When I got home I noticed some bluing at the base of the stalk (just a little bluing) so I tore the stalk up the middle to see if it would turn blue, about 30 minutes later, the inside of the stalk had turned brownish streaks. It's been too long since I ate any boletes and I can't remember if any of them bruise blue and none of my references mention it. Sorry there's no pictures, I don't have a digital camera. Any suggestions on a good quality digi camera (obviously for taking pics of shrooms)? Preferably for under $700?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita question? And a bolete question. [Re: gandalf579]
    #8797342 - 08/19/08 07:07 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i dont believe king boletes bruise blue. some boletes do. i just dont think the king boletes do. might wanna check with someone else to make sure. im new to edibles.

--------------------

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: Amanita question? And a bolete question. [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #8797394 - 08/19/08 07:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

The reason I think it was a king was because the cap was tacky to the touch and viscid when wet (I wetted my finger and slide it across the top of the cap). As far I as know it is the only bolete that does that, then again I could be wrong, it's been too damn long since I messed with any of them and I can't remember.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #8797424 - 08/19/08 07:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

1)As for the bugs, you'll find this happens frequently. Very often I find maggots inside of mushrooms I cut lengthwise.
2)Boletes that bruise blue should be avoided.
3)My Kodak cd33 does a fine job, just around $100 new. Though I just saw a Canon  with accessories for $85 on craigs list :wink:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlineluke2000
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: new jersey
    #8797433 - 08/19/08 07:27 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

the king bolete does not stain blue.

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: Amanita question? And a bolete question. [Re: luke2000]
    #8797532 - 08/19/08 07:49 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I didn't think kings bruised blue but I wasn't sure. What other bolete matches the description of a king almost exactly? LouiseLouise would you mind posting a picture from your Kodak so that I could see how good it is? The only experience of cameras that I have is with old 35mms and I don't want to have to invest in a scanner. And I won't eat any of the boletes that I find because there are way better tasting shrooms out there, such as chanterelles.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #8797581 - 08/19/08 08:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Boletus edulis will absolutely not stain blue or brown. As far as what looks like it, that depends on your level of experience. For example, do you know how to tell Suillus, Leccinum, Tylopilus, and Boletus apart?

In general I think of Suillus when I think of a slimy cap, but if it's wet enough almost everything can start feeling a bit slimy.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: Amanita question? And a bolete question. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8797743 - 08/19/08 08:36 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

"As far as what looks like it, that depends on your level of experience. For example, do you know how to tell Suillus, Leccinum, Tylopilus, and Boletus apart?"

I don't have that much experience with that many boletes. Other than reading each individual description and having multiple specimens to compare, not really, seeing as how most of those species have a common name with "bolete" attached to it. Such as tylopilus felleus aka bitter bolete, leccinum insigne aka aspen bolete, and suillus pictus aka painted bolete. And the cap wasn't very wet, all I did was dampened my finger with a quick lick of my tongue and swiped it across the center of the cap. So, if it's not a king, than I have no idea what it is.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #8798028 - 08/19/08 09:50 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Those names (Suillus, Leccinum, ...) are genera. Each genus has a lot of species.

For boletes in general, start by looking *very* closely at the surface of the stem. Some have smooth surfaces. Some have dark, coarse hairs (scabers). Some have tiny glandular dots, especially near the top of the stem. Some have tiny ridges forming a pattern like a net.

The ones with smooth surfaces are usually Boletus or Suillus. The ones with scabers are Leccinum. The ones with dots are Suillus. The ones with the net like pattern are Boletus or Tylopilus.

Once you have the genus you can start narrowing it down toward species.

A good place for some keys is mushroomexpert.com.

Don't expect to be able to ID everything. Settle for learning a new one each time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #8798039 - 08/19/08 09:53 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, I thought about that, but most of the time I am too busy to even post around here, much less make a post with pictures of my hunts (sarcasm) :rolleyes:
Anyway, I do upload most of my pics to my gallery, so just go have a look, you can see 'em all :stoned:

?

The caterpillar of a spicebush swallowtail:

A Russula being consumed by a mold:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (08/19/08 10:03 PM)

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
Re: Amanita question? And a bolete question. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8798090 - 08/19/08 10:03 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the correction ToxicMan. The stem was smooth, I even used a magnifying glass to make sure, but like I said, I don't have that much experience with boletes. All of my experience with them comes from my childhood and someone else (an experienced shroomer) collected them and cooked them.

Offlinegandalf579
Mushroom Hunter
Male
    #8798120 - 08/19/08 10:08 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the pics LouiseLouise! I'll have to check out that Kodak so that I can finally start posting pic of my finds.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8798438 - 08/19/08 11:10 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If your mushrooms haven't disintegrated under your nose while making a print you haven't tried printing a Pluteus species.  This happens to me all the time and I am extra careful.

I use a Fuji Finepix A330 with a 2 gig memory chip.  It can be found online for $27.99.  It isn't the greatest but it delivers a pretty good bang for the buck.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification