Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKevin
IES
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
New Species? ID Help Please.
    #437398 - 10/26/01 03:23 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

The past 2 weeks I've been finding these in the grass on a pretty well kept lawn. They stain blue, especially where slugs have been eating them and made a hole in the bottom of the stem. I've tryed taking spore prints multiple times but fail to ever get one (Maybee I should try on black paper in case it has white spores). The gills are what perplex me the most. They're not lines extending outwards from where the stem meets the cap. Instead, it seems like it's a sponge (I believe these type of gills are actually called "tubes") I was considering it was a Blueing Boletes, but my field guide says that they grow on the east coast, so I decided that couldn't be correct, because I live in Portland, Oregon. They hardly ever grow in groups. The ones pictured were picked an hour ago. Any help indentifying them would be appreciated.. Thanks

--------------------
"Is it a mile walking, or a mile driving?" - dobie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: New Species? ID Help Please. [Re: Kevin]
    #437501 - 10/26/01 08:31 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I think you are right when you say it is a Boletes. They don't have the gills like many other mushrooms. Don't think that it might not be the one that you thought it was. In my area alone, there are over 2000 different mushrooms identified. I talked to a very knowledgable mycologist, who has written papers on rare and new species, and he said that they still haven't even scratched the surface yet when it comes to mushroom species, and properties like edibility, and poisons. I certainly think that the one you found is a Boletes, but as to it's properties...I have no idea...cool looking mushroom though.

Cheers

St Thomas

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #437561 - 10/26/01 10:22 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Many boletes stain blue and that is definitely one of them, I've found some that did and I live in WA. None are psychoactive.
Keep looking :)

Good Hunting!

DH

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #438063 - 10/26/01 09:58 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

It is Leccinum sp. A type of bolete that stains bluish grey when cut or bruised. It is edible and some species are quite good. There are several Leccinum species that look very similar but all are edible. I don't take the time to distinguish them myself. They all have dark scabers (rough spots) on the stem. Not hallucinogenic.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds