Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
To anyone who is decent with math
    #4337397 - 06/25/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

How can I learn math and become good at counting and calculating in my head? I didnt do my homework ever in elementary school, and as a result, I blow at arithmetic. I am 20 now. I got a B for calc in college (After taking it 3 times) and i got an A in high school pre-calc, but I just suck hard at doing simple arithmetic in my head. Please offer some advice!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: RedNucleus]
    #4337401 - 06/25/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

that's kind of hard. Basically, just do exactly what you didn't do in elementary school- tons of basic math. Boring as fuck, but that's how the basics go. Randomly add numbers together, try doing linear sets or experiment.

also, stop using a calculator. calculators are like poison.

OfflineRedNucleus
Causal Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Seahorse Valley
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: vampirism]
    #4337432 - 06/25/05 11:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Here's a funny story. I was practicing addition of large #'s in my head one time - WHILE DRIVING!!! I was doing like 80 mph and had my mind on the math, and I sideswiped one of those big trucks that carries cars! My dad and I were fine, but the whole exterior of the passenger side was off the car. I haven't practiced math since, hahaha. I will again.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #4337833 - 06/26/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I usually reduce complicated arithmetic to something similar that is easy then add/subtract the difference.

Also I dont use a calculator like morowind said. Were you allowed to use one in your calc. class?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #4338423 - 06/26/05 04:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #4340807 - 06/27/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I guess it depends on how much time and money your willing to invest.

back in high school I used to do kumon(www.kumon.com you can then search for a center near you). They have these little work sheets that take a few minutes to finish, then its graded. You have to visit the center a couple times a week to get more sheets. You'll start off really easy, like basic addition and subtraction. Then you'll move up in math difficulty. I used to be a badass in math, like calculate really large numbers in my head, but I haven't used much of that kind of math since I entered college.

Also the best thing about kumon how many levels there are. It'll probably take a few years to finish them all. i know those worksheets go up to diff. eq, but they may go higher than that.

Offlinefutant462
Somewhat Human
Loc: Boston MA
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: daussaulit]
    #4364929 - 07/03/05 01:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I second the no calculator. If you run/bike/etc pick out geometry as you pass it and calculate it, 'that triangle of grass has a base of approx 12 feet and a height of 7 so .5*B*H=(70+14)/2=42 square feet .... now if its 2 inches tall what is its volume... etc, stuff like that, math is everywhere, look for it, I see derivatives all over the place now. As a result of which, I now hate escalators.

--------------------
"no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs; we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power.?
-P.J. O'Rourke

What is a Quantum Particle?
The Dreams that stuff is made of!

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: futant462]
    #4365311 - 07/03/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Haha I have an interesting story to share in regards to this topic, well not so much a story as my general insanity. I am under the belief that I was given one gift and that gift is computer science, digital logic, designing circuits, and stuff like that. Conesequently that is what I am majoring in. But I am always afraid that I will do too many drugs and lose that ability. And at that point, I think I will be totally fucked, as I really have no other skills. I mean I cant write particularly well, I cant paint, I am pretty good at math, but not at the extremely upper level stuff, which is what I would have to be good at to go to grad school. So everytime I am tripping really hard in the back of my mind I am always wondering, 'maybe this will be the trip that takes away my ability to program and design circuits well' So one of the things I do is I pick 2 random prime numbers and try to multiply them. And visualize the equation as I am doing it. As I can visualize things pretty well, which is why I think I am good at digital logic, as I can follow paths and recursion with ease. I remember once I was extremely fucked up on some acid, and I was outisde on my balcony at my apartment with my friends, and while they were talking, I was trying to make sure I was still with it. My friend who is really good at physics also has the same fear, as he feels he is only good at physics, but he hasnt found any test as I have. My insanity rules all!

Edited by TheCow (07/03/05 03:58 AM)

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: TheCow]
    #4366295 - 07/03/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That is pretty intense I'll bet, thinking you're going to lose your only talent.

The one semester that I smoked a lot of pot and did a lot of drugs was the semester that I excelled in Computer Science the most. I'm normally pretty good at it anyway, but I was challenged to such an extreme at my school that I became very very proficient at it for a time.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflinePhoenix99
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: freddurgan]
    #4369605 - 07/04/05 04:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Try working wit matrixes. Just multiply them.
This thing implies the most multiplying and adding I've ever experienced.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
    #4369951 - 07/04/05 06:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I don't see the need to be able to multiply and add/subtract numbers in my head. I can do it, and I know I can increase my skills. But that time would be better spent deepening my knowledge of Algebra or Calculus.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: cybrbeast]
    #4370028 - 07/04/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

To be decent at Algebra or Calculus, being able to do arithmetic quickly and correctly in your head helps alot.

When I first took calculus, I had a hard time working with fractional exponents in my head. I would have to do them on paper, which took too long. I remember getting test questions wrong because I didnt factor the exponents correctly. Fortunately I practiced a bunch and got a good grade in the end.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: DieCommie]
    #4370047 - 07/04/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I rely on my calculator for the multiplications, divisions etc. Small number I automatically do in my head. Learning Algebra and Calaculus is more about logic and organisation IMO. I always write down everything on paper. And then I use my graph calc to graph the equations and see if my written results are correct.

But yeah a basic knowledge of basic math is always handy.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
    #4370058 - 07/04/05 07:41 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Were you allowed to use a calculator on test?

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: DieCommie]
    #4370074 - 07/04/05 07:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well I was on all my high school (6 years in Holland) exams. But University Calculus didn't allow it. But I really don't know why they don't allow it. I mean after your study is complete you are allowed to use calculators in your work. And calcs were also allowed on all the projects within the study.

InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
    #4371849 - 07/05/05 12:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Because far too many people end up relying solely on their calculator, without having any understanding of the material they're "solving." I saw it in high school and it was disugsting. The most popular calculator at my uni does EVERYTHING; differentiates, integrates, solves differential equations. A student could get by doing no work if calculators were allowed.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: Letto]
    #4371932 - 07/05/05 12:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

> The most popular calculator at my uni does EVERYTHING

Which is why my Calc II professor gave us essay questions insead of problems to solve on his tests. He would work out the problem and we would have to write an essay telling why he performed each step. He also enjoyed tossing in the occasional incorrectly worked problem to ensure that we were paying attention. It was a very difficult class.

> A student could get by doing no work if calculators were allowed

There is a big difference between being able to do the calculation and understanding the calculation. I don't care if the students can do the calculation or not, which is why I don't care if they use calculators or not. What I do care about is that they understand why the various steps to solving the problem are important.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: To anyone who is decent with math [Re: Seuss]
    #4372231 - 07/05/05 02:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Realistically though, math up until vector calculus and doing partial differential equations, is fairly straight foward plug and chug. So if one isnt going into engineering or physics, or a math major, I think students should be able to use calculators freely. But vector calculus is more about geometry and figuring out surfaces, then algebra. Partial differential equations is very much more about the thought process then about using your calculator. Intro to calculus, algebra, algebra 2, that kind of math, while important, I could see being annoying for someone not interested in that kind of stuff to not be able to use their calculator.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology