Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Sterilizing in microwave?
    #430674 - 10/19/01 04:44 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Is it possible to sterilize your substrate in a plastic jar inside a microwave, if so how would I go about it?

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGroove_N
Re: Sterilizing in microwave? [Re: roykinn]
    #430708 - 10/19/01 05:37 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

YES
I have done so with PF cakes (Vermiculite and Brown Rice Flour). 8 minutes on high does the trick. I have never had a problem with contam either. I have used many types of containers, but my favorite are small pyrex dishes with platic tops. I prefer them, because the top has a breathing hole for air exchange. I make the PF cakes as usual and add the dry layer on top. I have also used tupperware and dissposable/microwaveable tupperware (inexpensive). I put the container in the microwave with plastic wrap on top. I also put the lid in the microwave next to the container. The reason I do this, is because moisture will form on the plastic wrap. I wait approx 4 hours for the nuked containers to cool. Then I carfully and slowly open the microwave door. remove the plastic wrap and put the lid ontop of the container. I then move it over to the oven for inoculation (oven tek). That it. Really simple. And alot less of a hassle then pasturizing or pressure cooking. If you are going to use 1/2 pint jars. I whipe down the inside of the lid with rubbing alchohol before screwing it on the jar (Don't put the metal lids in the microwave.
Good Luck.

Offlinepineal
Stranger
Re: Sterilizing in microwave? [Re: Groove_N]
    #430795 - 10/19/01 07:03 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

so i've got regular 1 pint mason jars with metal lids. If i prepare the verm/rye flour substrate inside, could i just nuke it in the microwave fr 8 minutes like you said, then once it's done quickly screw on the lids? (after rubbing the lids down with alcohol?)
thanx
pineal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate