Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Newbie Set-Up Questions
    #430667 - 10/19/01 04:40 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Greetings from Detroit,

My name is Boppity and I'm a Goa DJ and producer from the Detroit Metro Area. Just recently I've decided to try cultivating my own mushrooms at home. I'll be buying my supplies next week and ordering my spores on Monday.

Thanks to the help of Thor here at shroomery.com, I've joined these forums in hopes that I can find help along the way to my first harvest. I've been reading through the TEKs here and I'm curious as to what's the best set up for a beginner? I've already decided on trying two strains as my first "crop." I'd like to try growing Ecuadors and PES Amazonians.

My biggest concern is should I not worry about using spore prints to innoculate with? I can't seem to find these strains available in syringes. I've only checked sporeworks.com and would love any other stores online that I could buy from if you have any favorites you'd like to share.

Secondly, for sake of privacy I've decided I'm going to use Rubbermaid bins (translucent) for my fruiting chambers. Any advice or experience with this style of Terrarium that isn't on the TEK pages would also be greatly appreciated. :)

I've already printed out 3 TEKs. The PF tek from their website, Shroom Wizards TEK and the Simple Cubensis TEK (both from this website). I'm seeing the common theme in the process for PC strains. Any advice on keeping home process sterility would be most appreciated. :)

Finally, any reports of pitfalls or successes that you can relate from your own experiments would help. I'm assuming that as long as I follow the PF TEK as close as possible with adjustments following after the "Simple Cubensis Growing" TEK here...I should do ok.

Oh, one more thing, I've already seen some contradictions in advice regarding vermiculite in the fruiting chamber. Some say not to use it and others suggest using it in combination with potting soil. I may try growing my first two attempts each to the different styles (one in soil/vermiculite and the other on top of perlite. Any pro's/con's about these two methods would be appreciated as well. :)

Aquariums are not in my budget nor do I want to use them, I'd rather stick with Rubbermaid tubs, so as far as that much of my set up, I can't waiver from. :) Anything else I'm open ears for!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Love & Light,

Boppity

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
Re: Newbie Set-Up Questions [Re: Boppity604]
    #430751 - 10/19/01 06:31 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Greetings Detroit, from San Diego!

Well that was great! I am in the same boat you are, cept I did find the strains I wanted in the syringe form, but I also ordered prints. Initially, I am going to use the same pf tek you are using, separately, at the same time.
Been researching this for awhile and my 7 strains ( from three separate suppliers ) should be here shortly, as I ordered them,,, lol! Yesterday, I sent it all out.

I would like to keep some contact with you as we go since we will be working at this at the same time :)

I will be using a terrarium as well as an igloo cooler.
I want to try two at once since I have so many extra spores,
and, i bought so many anticipating failure initially, though I am going to be extremely careful when it comes to that.
I want to succeed! :) As for sterility, I have a link somewhere. Involves washing your body with non deoderant soap, gargling with listerine, wearing a face mask, rubber gloves, lysol hepa filters and more, a VERY complete sterility tek for innoculation and growing...

Looking forward to keeping tabs on your progress!

Sincerely
NewbieShroomer

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

OfflineArcanix
Stranger
Loc: North Eastern USA
    #430845 - 10/19/01 07:48 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hm, skimmed through and have a couple of suggestions/comments. First, after whatever you are using is completely covered with mycelia and you decide to spray it with water (because I'm assuming you won't use a humidifier), mix your water with some hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide will inhibit bacteria and mold growth, and at the same time your mycelia will turn it into water and oxygen. I read it in a text file and it seems to be working well with mine. Secondly, nobody told me that when you hand spray your rice cakes (or whatever you are using) bruising occurs and the tops turn blue. I almost wound up throwing out my cakes!
Ok, done rambling.
BTW, I used a Rubbermaid container too. You can duct tape a flourescent light to the lid!

Arc

OfflineJapher

Re: Newbie Set-Up Questions [Re: Arcanix]
    #430875 - 10/19/01 08:09 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

i've read of a criminal case where someones house was raided and printed copies of teks (similar to what you say you have) where found and used as evidence against the grower.

i'd recommend not to keep hard copies of these docs if it's at all possible. very unlikely you'll get busted, i know. but not a bad idea to just take some small precautions ;-)

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #430882 - 10/19/01 08:13 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hi there!

Thanks for the responses. :) Peace to both you guys! :)

>>First, after whatever you are using is completely covered with mycelia and you decide to spray it with water (because I'm assuming you won't use a humidifier), mix your water with some hydrogen peroxide.

What ratio of peroxide to water do you use?

>>BTW, I used a Rubbermaid container too. You can duct tape a flourescent light to the lid!

I bought those "touch lights" specifically for that purpose. The only space in my apartment that I can put several tubs is in my bedroom closet. I'm kinda worried about snoopy landlords so I need them in tubs that aren't see-through. While I'm home I plan on leaving them out with the lids open when they need light...but mostly I'll use soft lights stuck under the lid. :) These touch lamps are great...$1.00 each and battery operated and the brand I got already has glue backings to attach to something with. :)

Thanks to you both for your responses!

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Newbie Set-Up Questions [Re: Japher]
    #430890 - 10/19/01 08:17 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hi Japher!

Trust me, once I get the process in mind and have done it a few times...the TEKs will be destroyed. I've already thought of that. :)

Thanks for the kind words!

Love & Light,

Boppity

Offlinecahnooka

Loc: kootenay mountains
    #430939 - 10/19/01 08:52 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I used a translusent rubber made and the lid didn't seal so the humidity was off. Easy to fix, just watch out for it.

--------------------
Marijuana is a herb. Bush is a dope.

Offlineiono
    #431787 - 10/20/01 08:43 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

duct tape a light to the lid??? i would assume that that would make your conditions WAY too hot.. i wouldnt reccomend it

Invisibleisis
addict
    #431802 - 10/20/01 09:07 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Hi there in Detroit. My advice is to keep it simple the first time around. Follow the PF tek as closely as possible and you will do well. Your rubbermaid container will work great as a growing chamber. Just add some wet perlite to the bottom and that will keep the humidity where you need it. I'm not sure about the light thing. I have seen pics of people attaching a small light to the inside of the chamber, but you have to watch your temp.Personally, I would just cut a hole in the top and cover that with some clear plastic. You can then give them natural light or any other type of florescent light.Anyhow, best of luck.Follow the tek and keep it simple.Simplicity works like a charm.
As far as the spores, click on the banners you see in this site.There's plenty of spores around here. You should be able to find what you need.

Edited by isis (10/20/01 09:09 PM)

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Newbie Set-Up Questions [Re: isis]
    #433802 - 10/22/01 11:17 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks to Isis and everyone else who added to the advice!

I hope you all had a great weekend. :)

Love & Light,

Boppity

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale