Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRodRoddy

Ahhh, The Pressure, The PRESSURE!
    #430269 - 10/19/01 06:41 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

OK, I just got a "Home Elements" 8.2 quart pressure cooker on Ebay. So, go figure I'm scared of it. The directions it came with are about the worst directions ever. I can't tell what the hell is supposed to be happening. So, I post this message in hopes that someone with a pressure cooker can fill me in.

The cooker has 3 knobs on the top. 1, is a little "safety valve" where I assume extra pressure pops it up. 2, is a straight tube in the center called the "pressure valve." 3, is this screw looking thing that isn't talked about or labeled anywhere on the cooker (I was actually wondering if this screw could be removed for a pressure gauge? But, I don't know if they make them like that.)

From what I can understand, I fill the thing half way with water. Seal it and put it on a high flame. Once steam starts coming out the middle valve I put this little weight on the valve. Then it says to turn the flame down to the lowest temp. I tried this last night and it seemed like it was working, but I can't tell. Also, I have no idea what the PSI of the thing is. My roommates Mom seems to think the standard is 10 psi for pressure cookers.

Well, if anybody can provide any information about pressure cookers it would really help. I'm scared this thing is going to blow up my house.

Thanks,
Rod_Roddy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInsomnia
addict
Re: Ahhh, The Pressure, The PRESSURE! [Re: RodRoddy]
    #430283 - 10/19/01 07:10 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't used that brand, but I'll give this a try.

You should put the pressure regulator (the little weight) on the valve before applying heat. In most cases the weight will move back and forth allowing excess steam pressure out.

When I started out, I bought a Presto. It has a lid and weighted pressure regulator. Nothin' else. As standard practice, I sterilize jars for an hour. I've never had to pitch a jar.

I'd suggest looking on the Net for info about that model.

Also, it sounds like it has enough safety features that it won't blow up your house. It'll just pop out a button and all the pressure will rush out. The bang will be loud. Trust me.

--------------------
"If you believe in things you do not understand, you will suffer." ? Stevie Wonder

OfflineRodRoddy

Re: Ahhh, The Pressure, The PRESSURE! [Re: Insomnia]
    #430291 - 10/19/01 07:35 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I looked all over the net, and I can't find anything on this model.

It says it has three saftey features, however I can't trust anything that came from Ebay =). It was only $35 new tho.

It doesn't have any metal grate in the bottom for the jars to sit on. Last night when finished I noticed that the jars had melted into the metal at the bottom of the cooker. Very slight ridges are there now. Also, the surface of the inside changed where the water was. It's now a copper color compaired to the silver where it started. Should I be concerned about these issues?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #430301 - 10/19/01 07:55 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

ok, a few tips:
>I fill the thing half way with water. Seal it and put it on a high flame.
No. don?t fill it halfway with water or you will drown you jars.
fill it app an inch full with the jars allready in.

Don?t set it on high when you have jars in it. If the jars heat up(or cool down) too fast, they will crack.
set it on 2/3 of the highest setting and wait untill the steam comes out from underneath the rocker and the rocker moves a bit.
Then turn the heat back, that much that now and then a little steam escapes from the rocker.

How can you find out if your pressure cooker is really under pressure? When the pressure rises in the cooker so rises the boiling point of water and with it the temperature in the preassure cooker.
When the pressure cooker is on the stove and under pressure and you drip a drop of water on the id of the pressure cooker, the drop shopuld evapoirate fairly fast(1-2 seconds) under boiling. This means that the temperature in the pressure cooker is higher then the normal boiling point of water and the pressure cooker is working. Now, how high the temperature in the pressure cooker really is, that?s a different story.
There are temperature measuring stripes available that adhese on the surface of the pressure cooker and these show you the temperature. This way you could find out, how high the temperature is that your PC achieves.

On sterisation time:
I sterilize pf jars for 45 minutes in the PC under 15 PSI, and I NEVER had a contaminated jar because of the improper sterilisation.(I had contamination at inoculation points because of dirty syringes, but that?s another story....)

Some more info on how to use a pressure cooker here:
http://www.presto-net.com/ppcinstitute/howtouse.html
http://www.kuhnrikon.com/tips/faq/
http://www.presto-net.com/school/method.html

OfflineRodRoddy

Re: Ahhh, The Pressure, The PRESSURE! [Re: Anno]
    #430314 - 10/19/01 08:21 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Great info, thanks!

>No. don?t fill it halfway with water or you will drown you jars.
fill it app an inch full with the jars allready in.

I'm using quart jars. I only filled the cooker to about half the jars. I would never put water more than half way up the jars. In fact, i was thinking about creating a metal grate for the 1/2 pint jars to sit on. Then I could put more water in the cooker. The directions emphasize that no less than 1/3 of the cooker should be water.

InvisibleInsomnia
addict
    #430337 - 10/19/01 09:20 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I found listings for that brand on the Yahoo! store:

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/all?P=all&is=1&p=Home+Elements+pressure+cooker&cl=dmiyg

I'm sure you can find some documentation there.

Peace.

--------------------
"If you believe in things you do not understand, you will suffer." ? Stevie Wonder

OfflineRodRoddy

#433269 - 10/22/01 01:30 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

MOTHER FUKER! I just tried some more finch seed in my new pressure cooker. Same exact method as before. Guess what? I think it's infected with some shit again. What the hell am I doing wrong? The pressure cooker is hot as hell, I don't know if it's hot enough tho. I don't know what the PSI is, and there is no information on that damn weight they gave me. Can I buy a bigger weight, or am I doomed to the PF Tek forever?

Jesus, someone help me before I go insane =)

RodRoddy

InvisibleBigwelby
journeyman
Loc: Canada
    #433435 - 10/22/01 04:48 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

hey.

with my pressure cooker, the pressure regulator ('weight') starts rocking at 15psi. I'm sure there could be different designs, but i would think that if your pressure regulator is rocking there's a good chance you have 15psi inside...maybe heat it a little ways past that to be sure? Dunno if that'll help, but mine rocks at 15 and i sterilize at around 16-17psi

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #433522 - 10/22/01 06:24 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

hey man, i got a pressure cooker off of ebay too...it was an All American 21.5 qts ...metal 2 metal seal...it was rather old but it works damn well, it was only $30...but shipping...thats another story....it doesnt have a weight, it has a valve...
maybe some one can wiegh out there 15psi weight on a scale
(im not sure if it actually waighs 15 lbs.)
but thats my suggestion. good luck man!

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineRodRoddy

Re: Ahhh, The Pressure, The PRESSURE! [Re: 40oz]
    #434178 - 10/23/01 12:25 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

nah, I don't think the weight is supposed to weight 15lbs. It's just supposed to hold 15psi of pressure under that lid. I'm so goddamn pissed off right now. I swear, if I fuk up another syringe I'm going crazy. You can all read about the psycho who killed 10 people with stale finch seed.

Offlinethem_26
enthusiast
    #435130 - 10/24/01 08:54 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Use an old washcloth/rag in place of your grate. Someone once suggested it to me and it works great.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds