Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
Liquid myc contams.... or just goodness?
    #4263310 - 06/06/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I did 5 quart jars of puerto rican karo tec liquid mycelium. One jar turned milky white with lots of little white blobs that float around. eventually 3 others started to get said blobs. However, one of the jars has developed a sort of fluffy white puff which either separated, or more generated. im not sure whats going on as all the jars were under the same conditions. After a search of the posts, i learned that mushie mycelium can grow two different ways, but the descriptions weren't very detailed. I know that rhizomorphic growth is the nice thick white stuff, so is that my blobs or the puff? or do i have a contamination? being either the puffs or the blobs...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Liquid myc contams.... or just goodness? [Re: Trooper454420]
    #4267641 - 06/07/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I smell contamination. Any chance for some pics ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Liquid myc contams.... or just goodness? [Re: MAIA]
    #4267688 - 06/07/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It shouldnt be totally milky. It should have cotton wool like balls floating in it, usually at the bottom, but you should still have clear liquid in the jar. You can shake it up to break it up so it is easier to suck up.

suck some up in a syringe and squirt it into a glass and smell it.

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
Re: Liquid myc contams.... or just goodness? [Re: blackout]
    #4271529 - 06/08/05 11:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the four jars with the blobs aren't totally milky white, thats just what the hue changed from the sort of yellowish it started as. the fluff balls are like you say they should be, but one has a very slight color to it, the rest are basically transparent. Does anyone know if indeed there are two ways for the mycelium to grow, and if so what is the way other than the fluff balls?

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
    #4272579 - 06/08/05 04:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sorry maia, but i dont have a way to upload pictures. I would appreciate it if you told me why you think they might be contaminated.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Liquid myc contams.... or just goodness? [Re: Trooper454420]
    #4274861 - 06/09/05 04:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The "puff" might be consistent with some descriptions about mycelium. But the white "blobs" floating around are an indication that something might be wrong. Mycelium is a static organism that grows asymmetrically in a certain period of time until total colonization.
Liquid inside the jars might indicate the presence of bacteria. It also might be mycelium excretion (piss), but that usually leads to contamination if the liquid level keeps building up or if it doesn't get drained.
If the jars start smelling bad, then it surely is contamination.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
    #4282176 - 06/11/05 12:04 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

hmmmm, things don't bode well for me then. i looked at the puffs recently and the largest turned black, so i threw it out immediately. It was definitely a contam. it makes sense, as it appeared later and grew faster than the other jars. however, my jars do not smell funny and they are in a very clean enviroment. it is an entierly empty room in which i have colonizing jars and a hepa filter going 24/7. i do my innoculating and other such work naked after taking a shower. i have also been spraying down the walls and ceiling with a diluted bleach mixture. i call it the white room because the walls are white and thats the only thing you see upon entering (the good stuff is in a large closet. i think the problem is in the content of karo to water. for my first five jars i put in 2 marbles each and then 1 teaspoon of karo per 500 milliliters. i used quart jars 600 milliliters full, and therefore 6 tsp of karo. i got this karo from a friend and it has vanilla in it. im not sure the effect this has. if you could suggest to me a better concentration of karo to water, this would be helpful. im also working on building my own magnetic stir plate/stir bars. i appreciate your help but now i must continue drinking and watch exorcist the beginning so i get scary dreams.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures